ALBANY. On east line of section 1, Union Township. A prosperous village in the sixties. Had a post office from 1857 to 1860 when it was transferred to the portion of the village on the east side of the road, which placed it in Davis County.
BEETRACT. Near center of section 32, Washington Township. Post office, 1859-85.
BELLAIR. In the northern part of the southwest section of Bellair Township, section 18, Township 68 north, range 18 west. It was platted in 1854 The building of the railroad town of Numa ahout a mile to the south in 1871 transferred the business to that place.
CALDWELL CITY. In the eastern part of section 32, Caldwell Township. A post office was established in 1857 and the town was laid out in 1873. In 1879 the name of the town and post office was changed to Exline.
CALHOUN. A post office listed in U. S. Offical Register, 1855-57, but not found on maps of that period.
CAMDEN. A post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1881, but not found on maps of that period.
CHALDEA The pioneer name of Centerville. Platted in 1846. The post office was Chaldea from 1846 to 1847 when the name of the post office and town was changed to Centenville.
CRETE. A post office in Johns Township, 1880-83, as listed in the U. S. Postal Guide, but not found on maps of that period.
DARBYVILLE. An emhryo villiage in section 1, Walnut Township. Post office, 1891-1910.
DAYTON. Shown on maps of 1862 in northern part of Douglas Township.
DENNIS. A post office in western part of Douglas Township, 1863-90.
DIFF. Post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide, 1887-1910. Now known as Sedan.
ELlZABETHTOWN. In the southeastern part of section 15 and the northeastern part of section 22, township 68 north, range 16 west. Platted in 1867, but soon thereafter was incorporated into and became a part of the town of Moulton.
FORBUSH. A coal mining town about four miles north of Centerville. Post office, 1894-1903.
GRIFFlNSVILLE. An embryo village in southern part of section 23, Independence Township. Post office, 1869-1900.
HIBBSVILLE. Near the northeast corner of Franklin Township. It was laid out in 1852 and prospered as a village until the coming of nearby railroads. Post office, 1854-1910.
HILLTOWN. In the southern part of section 16, Wells Township, one half mile from the state line. A former hamlet dependent on milling and coal mining. Known on the records as Pleasant View, with a post office named Wells Mills.
ICONIUM. At the center of section 5, Chariton Township. Platted in 1854 and a prosperous village until railroads came nearby. Post office, 1853-1903.
JOHNS POST OFFICE. Shown on maps 1856 in western part of the county.
JOHNSTON POST OFFICE. In southwestern part of Johns Tuwnship. Post office, 1859-63.
KEMIGALA. In Wells Township. Post office, 1903.
KIRKWOOD. In central part of Sharon Township. Post office, 1873 1900.
LANEVILLE. In southeastern part of section 29, Bellair Township. A coal mining town
LEBANON. In section 5, Lincoln Township, as shown on maps of 1857.
LEETOWN. A coal mining town near Brazil.
LEONA. Near the central part of section 2, Wells Township. Platted in 1858, but never built up.
LIVINGSTON. In central part of Franklin Township. Post office, 1858-1900.
MARDENSVILLE. Post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1894, but not found on maps of that period
MEMPHIS. In central part of Johns Township. Post office, 1857-67.
MILLARD POST OFFICE. Shown on Henn-Williams map of 1855 in east part of Caldwell Township.
MILLEDGEVILLE. Near center of section 10, Independence Township. The village was founded in 1857 and prospered until the coming of nearby railroads.
Post office, 1857-1900.
MOUNT GILEAD POST OFFICE. Shown on maps from 1857 to 1862. In central part of Independence Township.
NEW HOPE. In the east part of section 28, Caldwell Township. A town was laid out in 1857, but never materialized.
NEW PLAINS POST OFFICE. Shown on maps of 1856 in central part of Washington Township.
NILES POST OFFlCE. Listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1851, but not found on maps of that period.
ORLEANS. In southeastern corner of section 35, Washington Township. The village was laid out in 1851 and flourished until about 1870. Post office, 1860-87.
ORVILLE. A mining town in Walnut Township established in 1892 with a post office named Clarkdale.
PEARL CITY. A hamlet with a coal mine in section 22, Pleasant Township. Post office, 1894,-1903.
PLEASANT VIEW. Same as Hilltown.
PLEASANTVILLE. Another name for Pleasant View. See Parker's map, 1856.
RAY. The name of the post office at Maine, section 18, Taylor Township. Post office, 1892-1903.
RISING SUN, In southeast part of Udell Township as shown on maps of 1868.
SHARON, In the northcast part of section 33, Sharon Township. This village was laid out in 1856 and was on the west side of the Chariton River, and not in the same location as the later station of the same name on the east side of the river, The post office was from 1851 to 1859.
SHARPSTON, A post ofiice listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1892, but not located on the maps of that period.
SHAWVILLE. A coal mining town of Pleasant Township.
STREEPVILLE. A coal mining town of Pleasant Township.
TRANQUILITY. In southeastern part of section 16,Johns Township. Post office, 1871-79
WALNUT CITY. In the northwestern part of Wallnut Township. Never more than a hamlet and neighborhood center. Post office 1867-97.
WALSH. Post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide, 1890-97.
WELLAND. Tn southeast corner of Franklin Township. Post office, 1859-63.
WELLS MILLS. The post office 1851-71, at Hillstown. (See above)
Named after a famous Sac Indian.
Established February 17, 1843
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|