ANGUS Originally called Coaltown. In 1880- 1886, it promised to be a city "Bigger than Des Moines" and had a population of 3500 to 7000 people.
BELLE POINT. In the north central part of Douglas Township. Post office, 1850-57.
BOONE STATION. First name of the post office at Montana. Post office, 1866-67.
BOONSBORO. The county seat of Boone County. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 29, township 84, range 26, in 1851 It was a post office from 1853 to 1901. It was included in and became a part of the incorporated city of Boone in 1892.
BOONEVILLE. In northern part of section 33, Des Moines Township, just south of the corporate limits of the present city of Boone. A post office was established there in 1850, but on the county seat being established at Boonsboro it was removed to the latter place.
BRIDGEPORT. Shown on Parker’s map of 1856 in the northwest corner of Grant Township.
CARSON’S POINT. In section 9, Pilot Mound township. Post office, 1859-63 CASSDAY'S CORNERS. In northeren part of section 4, Pilot Mound Township.
Post office, 1865-81.
CENTERVILLE. In the southeast corner of section 12, Yell Township, on the west bank of the Des Moines River. Laid out in I855. It was prosperous, but only
for a few years.
COALTOWN. The orginal name of the town of Angus.
COAL VALLEY. In section 2, Marcy Township, about a mile northwest. of Moingona.. Laid out in 1867. A coal mining town.
DAILY CITY. In section 4, Yell Township. Laid out in 1855, but proved to be a town on paper only.
ELK RAPIDS. In northern part of section 34, Douglas Township, on the east bank of the Des Moines River. A place of importance, having a post office in 1850,
and 150 inhabitants in 1885, but soon after that it declined. For a few years afterward Elk Rapids was designated on the west side of the river, as there was a
small settlement there.
FISHER'S POINT. Shown as another name for Mineral Ridge on maps of 1808 and 1869.
GARDEN. on south line of section 4, Garden Township. Post office, 1875-81.
GARDEN GROVE. Same location as Garden. Post office 1873-85.
GRIFFIN In the: western part. of section 8, Harrison Township. Post office, I897-1900.
HARMON'S SWITCH. The present town of Jordan was called by this name for a while.
HORNBUCKLES POINT. On west bank of Des Moines River about three miles above Elk Point. Shown on maps from 1862 to 1868.
HULL. On the east line of section 19, Colfax Township, some two miles northeast of the present town of Luther. Post office, 1873-75.
INCLINE. In section 23, Yell Township, on the Des Moines River. A coal mining village, Post office, 1893-1900.
JEHU. This post office is listed in the U. S. Postal Guide for 1885 as being in the county, but is not shown on maps.
LOGANSPORT. In section 14, Yell Township, on Des Moines River. Shown on maps of 1905.
MACKEY. A hamlet in the northwest corner of section 22, Harrison Township. Post office, 1878-1903. (See more here)
MACKEY'S GROVE. Same as above. Post office, 1871-78.
MARCY. In section 13, Marcy Township, ahout three miles southwest of Moingona. Post office, 1863-67.
MIDWAY. The name given at first to the present town of Jordan.
MINERAL RIDGE. The name of the post office (1854,-19O3) at the village of Ridgeport, which see below.
MONTANA. The first name of the present city of Boone. It was laid out in 1805 and the name was changed to Boone in 1871.
PADUCAH. In section 34, Union Township, as shown on maps of 1808-09.
PARKERSBURG. In the northwest quarter of section 2, Worth Township. Laid out in 1852. It never developed much beyond a country hotel.
PRAIRIE HILL. In southwest corner of section 12, Peoples Township. Post office, 1859-85.
QUINCY. In section 14, Marcy Township. laid out in 1854. It never developed into a real village.
RAPIDS. In Douglas Township on the Des Moines River about three miles northwest of Swede Point. Post office, 1851-01.
RENNER. This post office is listed iu the U. S. Postal Guide from 1897 to 1900 as heing in the county, but is not shown on maps.
RIDGEPORT. In eastern part of section 18, Dodge Township. Laid out in 1854, and was a village of some importance for many years. Its post office, Mineral Ridge. (see above)
RIVERSIDE. In section 12, Yell Township, near the west bank of the Des Moines River, Post office, 1857-69.
SMITH'S POINT. In section 4, Yell Township. as shown on maps of 1863-69.
SWEDE POINT. In northeast corner of section 36, Douglas Township. Platted in 1851. Post office, 1857-80. The name of the town was changed to Madrid in 1855.
UNIONVILLE. In Union Township. Laid out in 1858, but never materialized, nor even got on the maps.
WORTH. In North Township. first in section 23, and later in three other locations in that part of the township without changing the name. It ran from 1863 to 1869.
YOUGH. In section 21, Yell Township. Post office, 1861-69.
ZENORSVILLE. In eastern part of section 12, Jackson Township. A coal mining town of 400 people at one time. Post office, 1881-1900.
Boone County was named after Nathan Boone.
An army officer in the Iowa Territory
Established January 13, 1846
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|