Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

BABCOCK. Listed in the 1886-1894 U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Linn County, but location not found. Linn


BACH GROVE. A post office (1858-81) in the southern part of Troy Township near the Boone River. Wright


BADEN. A town laid out in 1856 in the southeast corner of section 36, German Township.  Post office 1862-72. Keokuk


BADGER HILL. A village established in about 1870 in the southern part of section 5, Spring Creek Township, about one mile northwest of the present town of Gladbrook. Post office, 1867-80. Tama


BADGER LAKE. A hamlet on the west side of the lake of the same name, Lossing being the name of the post office. Monona


BAILEY The Village of Bailey was in Wayne Township and platted November 20, 1886 Post office established March 10, 1887 and discontinued January of 1940. Incorporated as a town in 1901. Mitchell


BAILEY’S FORD. In central part of Milo Township. Post office, 1855-59. Deleware


BAILEY'S GROVE. A post office in section 6, Twin Lakes Township, in 1879 and later known as Bailey until 1885  Hancock


BAKER. In the east part of Black Hawk Township. Post office, 1861-1901. Jefferson


BALAKA. Listed in the Iowa State Gazateer of 1865 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period. Clarke


BALLARD POST OFFICE. In southeast part of Oakfield Township, all shown on Parker's map, l856. Audubon


BALLUFF. A Post Office (1884-90) at a point which is now in the Northern limits of the City of Davenport. Scott


BALLY GLAUGH GROVE. Pioneer name of the present hamlet of Bally Claugh in section 15, Table Mound Township. The post office was established in 1843. Dubuque


BALTIMORE. A small hamlet and a post office in section 18, Baltimore Township, on the north side of Skunk River, as shown on maps of 1857. Henry


BANGALL. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Henry County, but not found on maps of that period. (See ‘Stories of Towns Past) Henry


BANNER VALLEY. A post office from 1856 to 1866 near where the present town of Ely is located. Linn


BANNER. A post office (1874-75) near the center of section 7, Virginia Township. Warren


BARCLAY. In Northern part of section 13, Barclay Townsip. Laid out in 1854 and became prosperous, but dwindled when the Illinois Central built three miles

to the south. Post office, 1855-89  Black Hawk


BARKERSVILLE. The original name of the present village of Attica. Barkersville was the name of the post office from 1849 to 1853. Marion


BARRWOOD. The name of a post office (1881-83) at the same location as was the Walnut Grove post office. Scott


BARRYVILLE. In southeastern part of Prairie Township. Post office, 1857-97. Deleware


BARTLETVILLE. In section 19, Franklin Township. Post office, 1853-59 Clarke


BATH. Near the center of Bath Township. Post office, 1867-69. Cerro Gordo


BAUM. In section 33, Sheridan Township. Post office, 1897. Cherokee


BAXTER. A coal mining town in the south central part of section 4, Washington Township, during the 1880's. Keokuk


BAXTER. The post office of Baxter was in existence from as early as 1873 and was located about one mile southwest of the present town of Baxter. On the establishment of the latter in 1883 the post office was relocated to the new town. Jasper


BAY. In southern part of Delhi Township. Post office, 1862-63. Deleware


BEAR CREEK. A post office (1849-65) near the east edge of Bear Creek Township on the south side of Bear Creek, about one mile northeast of the present

town of Brooklyn. Poweshiek


BEAR CREEK. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Railway about four miles west of Ottumwa. It had a post office by the same name from 1909 to 1914. Wapello


BEAR GROVE. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 24, Bear Grove Township.  Post office 1854-1910 Guthrie


BEAVER CITY. A post office, 1859-61, first located on section 4, Dayton Township, three miles west of the northwest corner of the present city of

New Hampton. Chickasaw


BEAVER GROVE. In the southwestern part of Beaver Township. Post office, 1855-57. Butler


BEEBEETOWN. A hamlet in section 26, LaGrange Township. Post office, 1879-1903. Harrison


BEELAR’S GROVE. Near where the present town of Marble Rock now stands. Post office, 1857-59. Floyd


BEERY. In the northwestern part of Baltimore Township. Post office, 1897-1900. Henry


BEETRACT. Near center of section 32, Washington Township. Post office, 1859-85. Appanoose


BELFAST. In the southwestern part of Trenton Township, south of the Skunk River, as shown on maps of 1857.  Henry


BELGROVE. In the northeastern part of Bennezette Township. Post office, 1869. Butler


BELINDA. A hamlet and post office in the western part of Pleasant Township from 1858 to 1908. A few scattered residences still remain. Lucas


BELL AIR. In the northwestern part of section 35, Sharon Township. Post office, l857-77. Johnson


BELL FOUNTAIN. A village in the southern part of section 19, Scott Township, on the southwest side of the Des Moines River, not far east of the present town

of Tracey, Marion County. Post office, 1848-76. Mahaska


BELL OR BELLTOWN. A former station and hamlet on the C. M. & St. P. Ry. in section 34, Paradise Township. Crawford


BELLAIR. In the northern part of the southwest section of Bellair Township, section 18, Township 68 north, range 18 west. It was platted in 1854 The building of the railroad town of Numa ahout a mile to the south in 1871 transferred the business to that place. Appanoose


BELLE POINT. In the north central part of Douglas Township. Post office, I850-57. Boone


BELLEMONT. The name of the post office from 1870 to 1871 at what later was called Schonberg (see here). Warren


BELLEVILLE. A former railroad station in the northern part of Polk Township, about two miles west of Packard.  Post office, 1883-96  Jefferson


BELLEVILLE. A post office in the southeastern part of Webster County in 1859 to 1861 at the forks of the Boone and Des Moines rivers. Webster


BELL'S LAKE. The pioneer name of the present village of Middleburg. Sioux


BELL'S RIDGE. A post office from 1851 to 1854 in the northwestern part of section 1, South Township. Madison


BELMONT CENTER. (See Schonberg). Warren


BELVIDERE. A village jn section 14, Belvidere Township. Laid out in 1857 and active for a few years. It contested unsuccessfully for the county seat in 1861.

Post office 1857-87. Monona


BEN LOMOND. A post office (1876-78) in the central part of Garfield Township. Pocohantas


BENAN. In the southeast corner of section 3, Glidden Township. Post office, 1893-1900 Carroll


BENBOW. A station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q.) Railroad in section 7, Washington Township. Lee


BENNETTVILLE. In section 9, Washington Township. Post office, 1893-97. Dubuque


BENNINGTON. Platted as a town in 1848 on the north side of the Des Moines River about one and one-half miles west of the present railroad station of Percy. Marion


BENSON GROVE STATION. (See Lelandsburgh) Winnebago


BENSON GROVE. A vilIage and post office (1866-84) about one mile to the east of the present railroad station of Leland. Winnebago


BENTON CENTER. Near the southeast corner of Big Grove Township. Post office, 1869 Benten


BENTON CITY. IN the southwestern part of section 20, Benton Township, just south of the Cedar River. The plat was filed in 1856. The B.C.R.& N.,

built in 1869 missed it, after which it declined. Post office, 1854-59. Benten


BENTON. A post office from 1863 to 1881 on the north line of the west section 25, Anderson Township. Mills


BENTON. Former name of the present town of Garrison. Benten




Page 1 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

Page 1 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - B