CASS CENTER. In the northeastern part of section 13, Bear Grove Township. Post office, 1875
COLD SPRINGS. The name of the post office at the town of Iranistan (which see below) from 1851-1855.
EDNA. In the central part of Edna Township. Post office, 1853-69.
GALION. In section 27, Bear Grove Township, Post office, 1800-1900.
GROVE CITY. In the southwestern part of section 11, Grove Township, about three miles east of the present city of Atlantic. Platted in 1856. The coming of the
railroad and the making of a station where the city of Atlantic now stands, ended Grove City's career. Post office 1865-69. It's first post office was called Turkey Grove. (see below)
GURLEY. In sectin 5, Pymosa Township. Post office, 1865-69.
HEDGE'S GROVE. In section 10, Union Township. Post office, 1859.
INDIANTOWN. Slightly northeast of the center of section 9, Cass Township, and about one mile west of the present town of Lewis. Settled by Mormans in 1846.
IRANISTAN. In the central part of section 8, Cass Township, about two miles west of the present town of Lewis. Laid out in 1853, being the first platted town of
the county. Post office, 1855-57. Its post office for a while was called Cold Springs..
LURA. In the southern part of Grant Township. Post office, 1855-65.
MCDILL. In the central part of Victoria Township. Post office 1877.
NEWLON'S GROVE. In the southwest corner of Union Township. Post office, 1873-75.
PYMOSA. In section 11, Pymosa Township. Post office, 1855-57.
RENO. In the northeast corner of section 20 and the northwest corner of section 21, Edna Township. Platted as a town in 1876.
Post office, 1881-97.
TURKEY GROVE. The name first given to the post office at Grove City, from 1857 to 1863. (see above)
WAKEFIELD. In sectin 24, Atlantic (now Grove) Township, as shown on maps of 1862.
WAK. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Cass County from 1893 to 1897, but not found on maps of those years.
WHITNEYVILLE. In section 8, later in section 6, and again in section 16, Massena Township. Post office, 1861-85.
Cass County was named after Lewis Cass.
A Senator from Michigan
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|