...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

APOLLO. Listed in the U.S. Official Register of 1859 as a post office in Cedar County, but not found on maps of that period.


ANTWERP. In the southeast quarter of section 9, township 80, range 3, about three miles southwest of the present city of Tipton. Laid out in 1839 and an aspirant for the county seat.


BRICK HOUSE. Listed in the U.S. Official Register of 1867 as a post office in Cedar County, but not found on maps of that period.


CAMERON. A village platted in 1869, but now constituting a part of the eastern portion of the town of West Branch.


CARLISLE. In section 20, Springfield Township. A village laid out about 1853. Its post office was named Rosette.  (see below)


CEDAR. In the northwestern part of Massilon Township, Post office 1855-63.


CEDAR RIVER. In the northeastern part of section 33, Cass Township, on the west side of the Cedar river. Post office from 1841 to 1849 when the name was changed to Gower's Ferry, which see below.


CEDAR VALLEY. In the northwest corner of section 19, Gower Township. near the west bank of the Cedar River. A village formerly the location of extensive stone quarries. Post office, 1893 and still running.


CESSFORD. In section 22, Fairfield Township. Post office, 1867-69.


DENNON'S FERRY. Name first given to what is now the town of Massilon.


ELIZABETHTOWN. At the point on the Cedar River a little below where the Cedar Valley stone quarries were later developed. Laid out in 1837 and an aspirant for the county seat.


GOWERS FERRY. A post office formerly called Cedar River, which see above. It had the name of Gower's Ferry from 1849 to 1859 when it was removed to the east side of the river and the name changed to Cedar Bluff


HARWELL. In section 4, Springfield Township. Post office, 1854-63.


HONEY GROVE. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Cedar County from 1855 to 1859, but not found on maps of that period, but thought to have

been in Gower Township.


INLAND. In the northeastern part of Inland Township. A trading village of some importance. Post office, 1853-85.


LACTIN. In eastern part of Sugar Creek Township. Post office, 1853-57.


LIME CITY. In eastern part of section 16, Sugar Creek Township. A town created because of the lime industry. Post office, 1897-1903.


LITHGOW. In section 22, Springfield Township. Post office, 1861.


LIZARD. In the northwestern part of section 26, Springfield Township, as shown on maps of 1857.


MUNN. The early name applied to Lime City, which see above. Post office, 1885-93.


ONION GROVE. In the northern part of section 14, Dayton Township. Post office, 1857-61. From 1858 to 1861 the post office was in the present town of Clarence, which was then called Onion Grove. Previously called Union Grove.  (see below)


PEDEE. In section 4, Iowa Township. A hamlet about midway between Springdale and Rochester. Post office, 1861-89.


PIONEER GROVE. In section 11, Pioneer Township. Post office, 1847-59.


PLEASANT HILL. In section 16, Sugar Creek Township. Post office, 1861-81.


RED OAK. In the northeastern part of Red Oak Township,. Post office, 1857-67.


ROCK CREEK. The pioneer name of the post office at the town of Rochester from 1837 to 1854, when it took

the name of the town.


ROCK POINT. The original name of the post office at the present town of Massilon. Listed as such in 1854.


ROSETTE. the name of the post office at the town of Carlisle (1853-69), which see above.


SHILOH. In the northeastern part of Red Oak township. Post office, 1871-89.


SIDE HILL. Listed in the U.S. Postal Register as a post office in Cedar County in 1861-63, but not found on maps of that period.


SUGAR CREEK. Post office, 1885. Formerly called Sugar Creek Mills, which see below.


SUGAR CREEK MILLS. In the southern part of Sugar Creek Township. Post office, 1875-81.


UNION GROVE. Post office, 1854, Name changed to Onion Grove, which see above.


WALDEN. In eastern part of Red Oak Township. post office, 1897.


WARSAW. In the southwestern part of section 34, township 81, range 3, about three miles west of the present city of Tipton.  Laid out in 1837 and an aspirant for

the county seat.


WOODBRIDGE. In the southeastern part of section 32, Center Township. Post office, 1847-69.


YANKEE GROVE  In section 29, Pioneeer Township. Post office, 1853.


YORK PRAIRIE  In section 6. Inland Township. Post office, 1863-71.


ZOAR. In section 19, Gower Township. Post office, 1865-17.

Cedar county was so named for the Red Cedar River running through the county




Established December 21, 1837

Cedar County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED