ANDERSON. In the southern part of Melville Township. Post office, 1863-65.


BISMARCK. A town in section 6, Farmersburg Township. Platted in 1875. Post office, 1873-1900.


BROOKVILLE. In the northeast corner of Mendon Township, as appears on maps from 1855 to 1862.


CASS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1857 to 1859, but not found on maps of that period.


CERES. A hamlet in the southern part of Garnavillo Township. Post office, 1863-93.


COMMUNIA. In the northwest corner of section 18, Volga Township. Post office, 1855-1900. Still has a store and public hall.


COUNCIL HILL. In the northeast corner of section 11, Giard Township. Post office, 1855-85.


COX CREEK. In the western part of Cox Creek Township. Post office, 1857-75.


ENFIELD. The name given the railway station at Strawberry Point when the road was built in 1872, but soon changed to the name of the town on order of the Railroad Commission.


FARMERSBURG.   A township  (See Bismarck above)  Clayton


FRANKFORD. Immediately below the junction of the Turkey and Mississippi rivers, as shown by maps of 1851.


FRANKLIN. The original name of the present town of Strawberry Point.


FRENCHTOWN. A hamlet in Clayton Township on the Mississippi River near where stands the present town of Clayton. It was a landing and shipping point at the beginning of the settlement of that region.


GEM. In section 2, Marion Township. Post office, 1859-85.


GIARD. A town in the northwestern part of section 35, Giard Township. Platted in 1871. The post office was established, in 1854. The coming of the nearby railroad created another village to the north now called by the same name. A few residences remain in the old town.


GRAND MEADOW. The former name of the present railroad station and village of Ridley.


HARDIN. In the northwest corner of section 6, Monona Township. Partly in Allamakee County. (see. Allamakee County)


HENDERSON PRAIRIE. In the northwestern part of Grand Meadow Township. Post office, 1865-69.


HIGH GROVE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1855 to 1860, but not found on maps of that period.


HIGHLAND. A small hamlet near the western part of Highland Township. Post office, 1855-1900.


HONEY CREEK. In the northern part of Ledomillo Township. Post office, 1857-63.


JEFFERSON. The former name of a village in section 30, Millville Township, laid out in 1852, now appearing on maps as Graham.


JACKSONVILLE. The former name of the present town of Garnavillo. It was laid out in 1844, and the name changed to Garnavillo

in 1846


KEELEROY. In the northeastern part of Clayton Township on the Mississippi River about two miles above Clayton. Platted in 1848.


LOCUST HILL. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in 1859, but the name is not found on maps of that period.


LODOMILLO. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1853-1855, but the name not found in maps of that period.


McGREGOR'S LANDING. The orginal name of the present town of McGregor.


NEW STAND. In the eastern part of Elk Creek Township. Post office, 1858-68.


NORTH McGREGOR. Former name, previous to 1915, of the present town of Marquette.


PANTHER CREEK. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1853 to 1861, but the name is not found on maps of that period.


PECK'S FERRY. Near the south boundary of Maliory Township, on the Turkey River. Post office, 1857,59.


PRARIE La PORTE. The name of a town which later became a part of the present town of Guttenburg. It was laid out in 1839 and became the first county seat of Clayton county. It was a post office from 1841 to 1843.


READ. The name of the post office at the town of Clayton Center. Its existance was from 1857 to 1900.


SAINT JOHAN. Former name of the present town of Mederville.


SIGEL. Near the northwest corner of Read Township. Post office, 1863-73.


SPRINGFIELD. A town in the southeastern part of section 4, Grand Meadow Township. Platted in 1869.


SPRINGVILLE. A village in the northeastern part of Millville Township., about one mile west of Turkey River Station as shown on maps of 1875 and 1880.


SLYVAN. In the western part of Cass Township. Post office, 1854-57.


UPDEGRAFF. In section 19, Mallory Township. Post office, 1881-1903.


WABASHA. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1843-1845.  Name not found on maps of that period.


WATSON. In sectioin 5, Giard Township. Post office, 1885-1903.


WINDSOR. The former name of the present town of Farmersburg.


YANKEE SETTLEMENT. The orgianl name of the present town of Edgewood.

Clayton County,

named after John Middleton Clayton

He was a Senator from Delaware.




Established December 21, 1837

Clayton County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns