CADDA. The name of the post office (1888-1895) at Carlson, (see below) Scott


CALANAN. In the northeastern part of Ellsworth Township, as shown on maps of 1880. Hamilton


CALDWELL CITY. In the eastern part of section 32, Caldwell Township. A post office was established in 1857 and the town was laid out in I873. In 1879 the

name of the town and post office was changed to Exline. Appanoose


CALEDONIA. A small village laid out in 1855 in the western part of section 11, Lot's Creek Township. Post office, 1856-1908. It still has a store, church

and school. Ringgold


CALEDONIA. In section 9, Vernon Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Dubuque


CALHOUN CENTER. In section 19, Center Township. It was a village that aspired to be the county seat and appears on the maps in 1880. Calhoun


CALHOUN. A post office listed in U. S. Offical Register, 1855-57, but not found on maps of that period. Appanoose


CALHOUN. A town platted in 1853 in the southern part of section 19, Calhoun Township, near the west bank of Willow River. Prosperous in the late 1860's.

Post office, 1855-1900. Harrison


CALLIOPE. A town laid out in 1860 on the Big Sioux River and less than one mile north of the business section of the present town of Hawarden. A portion of

it is now included within the corporate limits of Hawarden and is still often referred to as Calliope. Calliope was the county seat from 1860 until 1872 when it

was changed to Orange City. Post office, 1862 to 1863, and again from 1869 to 1911 Sioux


CALOMA. A hamlet in the southeast corner of section 19, Franklin Township. Post office, 1858-1907. Marion


CALVIN. In northwestern part of section 22, Orange Township. Post office, 1807. Black Hawk


CAMACKVILLE. A post office in the southwestern part of section 12, Cedar Township, from 1869 to 1875 when it was changed to White Lane, but was discontinued in 1876. Lee


CAMARGO. The name of the post office of Vincennes from 1852 to 1858 at the village and railway station of Sand Prairie. Lee


CAMBRIA. A former village and station on the C., B. & Q. R. R. about seven miles northwest of Corydon. Wayne


CAMBRIDGE. In the section 5, Spring Rock Township, as shown on maps of 1856. Clinton


CAMDEN. A post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1881, but not found on maps of that period. Appanoose


CAMDEN. (See Bloomington.) Story


CAMERON. A village platted in 1869, but now constituting a part of the eastern portion of the town of West Branch. Cedar


CAMP. A post office in section 10 from 1882 to 1887 in Camp Township. Polk


CAMPTON. In section 19, Richland Township. Post office, 1857-1900. Deleware


CANA. In southeastern part of Cono Township. Post office, 1861-63. Buchanan


CANAAN. In section 7, Jasper Township. Post office, 1857-1860. Name changed to Simpson in 1860. Adams


CANFIELD. In section 21, Barclay Township. Post office 1889-93. Black Hawk


CANNONBURG. Laid out as a town in the northern part of section 28, Elm Grove Township, but never grew to be more then a small hamlet. Louisa


CANOE. A post office (1857-1905, including two intermissions) in section 26, Canoe Township, on Canoe Creek. Winneshiek

 

CAPOLI. Two miles southeast of Lansing on the Mississippi. Post office, 1853-67. Allamakee


CARBON HILL. The name of the post office at the railway station of Carbon in 1879. Davis


CARBON. The former name of the present Illinois Central Railroad station of Gypsum. Carbon was a post office from 1870 to 1872. Webster


CARBONADO. A coal mining village some three miles northeast of Oskaloosa. It had a post office from 1890 to 1897. Mahaska


CARBONDALE. A former coal mining town in the western part of Four Mile Township along Four Mile Creek. Carbondale was the name of its post office from 1899 to 1901. Polk


CARBONDALE. In the southwestern part of section 33, Summit Township. Plat of the town filed in 1892. Adair


CARDIFF. A post office (1855-1904) at the village of Leo. Mitchell


CARLISLE. In section 20, Springfield Township. A village laid out about 1853. Its post office was named Rosette. Cedar


CARLSON. The name of a former Railway Station and Hamlet 1-1/2 miles West of the present station of Noels in Winfield Township. Scott


CARNEY. In section 24, Ulster Township. Post office, 1900. Floyd


CARR. The post office from 1851 to 1855 at what later became Vandalia, which see below. Jasper


CARROLL CITY. The name applied to the present city of Carroll from the time of its establishment in 1867 to about 1875, and was a town of importance in those days. Post office, 1859-1903. Carroll


CARROLL. A place in section 2, Carroll Township, as shown on maps of 1881. Tama


CARROLLPORT. The name first given (1837) to the present town of Sabula. Jackson


CARR'S POINT. A post office from 1865 to 1870 in section 4, West Township, on Walnut Creek. Montgomery


CARSON. A platted village in section 12, Douglas Township, as shown on maps of l875. Adams


CARSON’S POINT. In section 9, Pilot Mound township. Post office, 1859-63 CASSDAY'S CORNERS. In northeren part of section 4, Pilot Mound Township.

Post office, 1865-81. Boone


CARTER. A post office (1881-85) in the southwestern part of Fillmore Township, section 29, some three miles northeast of the present town of North English. Included some businesses and residences. Iowa


CARTERSVILLE. A village of about 200 people found by the surveyors who ran the original lines in 1851. It was about three miles east of Kanesville and just

east of Mosquito Creek, and was shown on maps as late as 1869. Pottawattamie


CARTHAGE. In the eastern part of Scott Township. Post office, I853-65 Johnson


CARVERS. Shown in northwestern part of Union City Township on maps of 1855-57. Allamakee


CARY. A place in the western part of Highland Township, as shown on maps of 1878. Palo Alto


CASADY. A post office (1883-90) in the southeastern part of Dayton Township. It is shown on maps as Casady's Corner. Webster


CASS CENTER. A post office from 1862 to 1865 in section 22, Cass Township. Jones


CASS CENTER. In the northeastern part of section 13, Bear Grove Township. Post office, 1875.  Cass


CASS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1857 to 1859, but not found on maps of that period. Clayton


CASTANA. A hamlet, now spoken of as Old Castana, existing from 1865 to about 1885, located about one mile west of the present town of Castana. Monona


CASTLE GROVE. A post office from 1851 to 1903, although not continuous, in Castle Grove Township. In its early period it was in the central part of the

township, and later in the southern part of section 3. Jones


CASTLEVILLE. On north line of section 36, and later on west line of section 34, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1863-97. Buchanan


CATTEESE. The name of the hamlet later called Port Allen. Louisa


CEDAR. In the northwestern part of Massilon Township, Post office 1855-63. Cedar


CEDAR CITY. In south half of section 6, Township 89, range 13, Northeast of the Cedar River. It was platted 1856 and was a town of some importance,

having a population of about 200, but on the coming of the railroad to cedar Falls it gave way to that city.  Black Hawk


CEDAR CREEK. In central part of Cedar Township. Post office, 1869—81.  Greene


CEDAR CROSSROADS. A post office from 1866 to 1868 in section 3, Washington Township. Marshall


CEDAR FORKS. Listed as a post office in Sac County from 1857 to 1858. Its location not found, but supposed to have been in Cedar Township. Sac


CEDAR GROVE. A post office from 1854 to 1868 in the central part of Cedar Township. Lucas




Page 1 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of 4

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - C

Iowa Ghost Towns