...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

ALTON. A hamlet at the west edge of the site of the present city of Perry. Post office, 1859-69.


BOONE. According to the maps this post office, which existed under that name from 1853 to 1869, occupied locations in different parts of Boone Township, but finally came to the site of the present village of Booneville.


BROUGH. In section 9, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1873-97.


CHATTANOOGA. In the south central part of Adams Township. Post office, 1857-67.


CHICAGO. Near the southeast corner of Washington Township, as shown on maps of 1862-1878.


EPHESUS. In section 19, Washington Township, as shown on maps of 1887.


FAIRIAND. In section 16, Grant Township. Post office, 1881.


GALWAY. In the southeastern part of Union Township, as shown on maps of 1857.


GREENVALE. In the northern part of Linn Township. Post office, 1859-97.


HARVEY MILLS. A post office in Linn Township in 1881.


LANFITT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Dallas County, but not found on maps of that period.


LINN. A post office in Linn Township in 1881.


MCKAY. A post office from 1851 to 1855 when the name was changed to Wiscotta, which see.


NEW IRELAND. A name applied in an early day to the present town of Redfield.


NORDYKE. In the southeastern part of Boone Township. Post office, 1869-75.


OSPREY. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1881 as a post office in Dallas County, but not found on maps of that period.


PANTHER. In the northern part of Colfax Township. Post office, 1885 to 1903. Previous to 1885 it had run a few years as Panther Creek.


PENOACH. The name given to the site selected in 1847 for the county seat of Dallas County, a location in the eastern portion of the present town of Adel.

It was a village for two years before the name was changed to Adel, and was listed as a post office in 1849 as Penoach.


PIERCE POINT. In the western part of Sugar Grove Township. Post office, 1859-69.


SNYDER. In section 26, Des Moines Township. Post office, 1859-81.


TRACEY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1869 as a post office in Dallas County. It is the present town of Van Meter.


UNCLE SAM. Listed in the U. S. 0fficial Register of 1855 as a post office in Dallas County, but not found on maps of that period.


WISCOTTA. In sections 4 and 5, Union Township, about one mile south of the present town of Redfield. It was platted and was for a few years a prosperous village. Post office, 1855-61.


XENIA. A platted village on the west line of section 4, Des Moines Township, about one and one half miles east of the present town of Woodward.  

Post office, 1861-81.

Dallas County, named after George Mifflin Dallas.

Vice President of the United States from 1845 to 1849




Established January 13, 1846

Dallas County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED