BRACEWELL. In the southern part of Woodland Township. Post office, 1893-1903.


BURRELL. In northwestern part of Burrell Township. Post office, 1893-1903.


CORA. In northwestern part of Fayette Township, as shown on maps of 1887.


ELDORADO. In eastern part of Hamilton Township, as shown on maps of 1885.


ELK. In the northeastern part of Bloomington Township. Post office, 1863-1900.


FIERCE. In southeastern part of Long Creek Township. Post office, 1885-98.


FLORENCE. The pioneer name of the present town of Van Wert, settled in 1853 when it was named Florence, but was soon changed to Prairie City, then to Prairieville, and finally to Van Wert.


FRANKLIN. A village in the southeast corner of section 2, Center Township. Post office, 1854-75.


FUNK’S MILLS. In the northeastern part of Grand River Township. Post office, 1868-73.


GREEN VALLEY. In the southeast corner of section 12, Richland Township. Post office, 1871-89.


HIGHBRIER. In the southern part of Eden Township, as shown on maps of 1887.


HUNGARIAN SETTLEMENT. A village in the northeastern part of New Buda Township. (see maps of 1855-57)


INDEPENDENCE. The first name given the present city of Leon, in 1853. The name was soon changed to South Independence, and to Leon in 1855.


LITTLE RIVER. In the southern part of Eden Township. Post office, 1875-85.


LONG CREEK. In the southern part of Long Creek Township. Post office, 1871-75.


MILFORD. In section 28, Richland Township. laid out in 1854, but abandoned in a few years in favor of Westerville.


MORGAN. In the central part of Morgan Township. Post office, 1900.


NEW BUTA. A village of about 100 population in 1868, in section 14, New Buda Township. Post office, 1851-75


NINE EAGLES. In the western part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1851-69.


PARIS. In central part of High Point Township, as shown on maps of 1856.


PATRIOT. In the northwest corner of section 17, Franklin Township. Post office, 1871-81.


PLEASANT PLAIN. The name first given to the present town of Pleasanton. It was laid out in 1854 as Pleasant Plain and the name changed to Pleasanton in about 1869.


PRAIRIE CITY. A former name of Van Wert. See Florence above.


PRAIRIEVILLE. A former name of Van Wert. See Florence above.


SEDGEWICK. In central part of Fayette Township. Post office,1867-75.


SOUTH INDEPENDENCE. Post office, 1855. See Independence above. SPRING VALLEY. In the eastern part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1857-1900.


TERRA HAUTE. In section 17, Burrell Township, on Grand River. Once a thriving village. Post office, 1867-81.


TURKEY RUN. In the northeastern part of Center Township, as shown on maps of 1857.

Decatur County, named after Stephen Decatur.

He was an American Navel Officer.

Established January 13, 1846

Decatur County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns