ABBYVILLE. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Delaware County, but not found on maps of that period.


ACERSVILLE. In the northeast quarter of section 19, Delaware Township, about two miles north of the business section of the present city of Manchester. It was laid out as a town in 1854, but the name was soon changed to Delaware Center, which see below.


ALMIRA. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Delaware County from 1889 to 1893, But not found on maps of that period.


ALMORAL. In section 11, Oneida Township. Laid out as a village in 1857, secured a post office the same year and kept its existence many years.


AMARILL. In Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1857-58.


BAILEY’S FORD. In central part of Milo Township. Post office, 1855-59.


BARRYVILLE. In southeastern part of Prairie Township. Post office, 1857-97.


BAY. In southern part of Delhi Township. Post office, 1862-63.


BROADWAY. In southeastern part of Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1900.


BURRINGTON. The original name of the present city of Manchester, and the one which it carried from when the town was laid out in 1854 until 1857.


CAMPTON. In section 19, Richland Township. Post office, 1857-1900.


COFFIN’S GROVE. In the central part of Coffin’s Grove Township. Post office, 1849-61.


COLD WATER. In the southern part of Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1854-63. Formerly called Orrin Glen.


COLONY. In section 4, Colony Township. Laid out in 1851, and joined Colesburg on the south. Post office, 1846-65.


DELAWARE CENTER. Post office, 1855. Formerly Acersville, which see above. Delaware Center was also the name applied on some maps of 1875 to 1880

to the present town of Delaware.


EADS GROVE. In Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1849-50.


FORESTVILLE. In the northern part of section 22, Richland Township. Laid out in 1854 and a busy village for many years.

Post office, 1851-1900.


GOLDEN PRAIRIE. In section 5, Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1870-81.


GREEN HILL. In Delhi Township. Post office, 1854-57.


GROVE CREEK. In section 83, Union Township. Post office, 1854. Soon after removed into Jones County.


HARTWICK. A village in the northwestern part of section 30, Delhi Township. Laid out in 1858. Post office, 1833-61.


HAZEL GREEN. In section 12, Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1856-1900.


LODO MELLO. A post office in the northeastern part of Honey Creek Township, as shown on maps of 1856.


MANGOLDVILLE. In Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1864-66.


MILLHEIM. In section 3, Delaware Township. A village laid out in 1858.


MILO. In the central part of Milo Township. Post office, 1868-72.


MOUNT HOPE. In the southeastern part of Richland Township. Post office, 1851-71.


NOTTINGHAM. The original name of the present town of Earlville.


OAKLAND. A post office in the eastern part of Colony Township, as shown on maps of 1856.


ORIN GLEN. A post office in Honey Creek Township from 1851 to 1854, when the name was changed to Cold Water. (see above)


ORRINDEN. A post office in the southern part of Elk Township, as shown on maps of 1855.


PLUM CREEK. In the western part of North Fork Township. Post office, 1857-59.


PLUM SPRING. In Elk township. Post office, 1854, but name changed to Greeley in 1863.


POLTNEY. In southeastern part of Elk Township. Post office, 1851-60.


ROBINSON. A village in southern part of Adams Township. Post office, 1914.


ROCKVILLE. In section 24, North Fork township, on the North Fork of the Maquoketa River. platted in 1846. A village of some importance. Post office, 1846-97.


SAND CREEK. In the eastern part of Prairie Township. Post office, 1862-64.


SILVER CREEK. In western part of Adams Township. Post office, 1893-97.


SPRING BRANCH. In the northeastern part of Milo Township. Post office, 1854-56.


TOWER HILL. In section 15, Adams Township. Post office, 1856-89.


UNIONTOWN. In eastern part of Union Township. Post office, 1853-89.


VIOLA. In Colony Township. Post office, 1852-59.


YANKEE SETTLEMENT. The orginal name of the present town of Edgewood, a part of which is in Clayton County. The post office is listed as Yankee Settlement from 1848 to 1871.


YORK. In section 9, Honey Creek Township. Village laid out in 1855. Post office, 1855-75.

Delaware County

Named after the state of Delaware.

Established December 21, 1837

Deleware County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns