...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

ALBRIGHT'S. In the southern part of Benton Township. Post office, 1849-65.


AMITYVILLE. In the southwestern part of Huron Township. Post office, 1871-79.


BLUFF DALE. The original name of the post office (1817-53) at the present village of Kingston.


BURKHART'S POINT. The first post office established in Franklin Township, in 1836.


CENTERVILLE. In eastern part of Danville Township, as shown on maps of 1857.


CORA. listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1847 as a post office in Des Moines County, but not found on maps of that period.


DANVVILLE CENTER. A small village in the geographical center of Danville Township, about one mile south of the present town of Danville.


DODGEVILLE In the southeastern part of section 15, Franklin Township. Laid out in 1837. Post office, 1843-1900. It still has a store and a few buildings.


FAN. In Flint River Township. Post office, 1890-1910.


FLINT HILLS. The pioneer name of the present city of Burlington.


FOX LANDING. Listed in the U.S.Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Des Moines County, but not found on maps of that period.


FRANKLIN MILLS. In the southeastern part of Franklin Township. Post office, 1859-97.


HARTFORD. In central part of Danville Township. Post office, 1841-51.


HAWKEYE. In western part of Huron Township. Post office, 1845-63.


HURON. In the east section 16 of Huron Township, located on Huron Chute of the Mississippi River. It was started in 1847, grew and had good prospects, but was obliterated by a flood in 1851.


JACKSONVILLE. A post office in the vicinity of Yellow Springs from 1839 to 1841.


KLINE. In the southeastern part of Franklin Township. Post office, 1893-1900.


KOSSUTH. In the eastern section 30 of Yellow Springs Township, about a mile and a half east of the present town of Mediapolis. Previously called Yellow Springs, which see below.


LA VEGA. In the central part of Washington Township. Post office, 1859-75.


LIMESTONE. listed the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Des Moines County from 1854 to 1860, but not found on maps of that period.


LINTON. The early name of the present railroad station of Garland. Linton was a post office from 1847 to 1903.


NAVARRE. A post office in the neighborhood of Dodgeville from 1849 to 1851.


NORTHFIELD. A village in the northeastern part of Yellow Springs Township, laid out in 1866, and a post office from 1855 to 1900.


PARRISH. In the southern part of Danville Township. Post office, 1849-97·


PLEASANT GROVE. A village in section 11, Pleasant Grove Township. Post office, 1851—1903. It still has a store and a few buildings.


SAND RIDGE. A post office in the southern part of Union Township from 1849 to 1851 when it was changed to Green Bay post office in Lee County.


SOUTH FLINT. In the southern part of Pleasant Grove Township. Post office, 1854-89.


VANDYKE. In the northwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1859-69.


YELLOW SPRINGS. The early name given the town of Kossuth, which see above.

Des Moines County was named after the

Des Moines River.

That river runs through Southwestern Iowa.




Established September 06, 1834

Des Moines County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED