1907 Panoramic view of Des Moines, IA - (Looking East)
Des Moines, IA (modern)
Des Moines, Iowa
Des Moines, IA, the capital and the most populous city in the state of Iowa. On May 25, 1846, Fort Des Moines became the seat of Polk County. It was incorporated as a city on September 22, 1851 and the charter was approved by voters on October 18. Fort Des Moines was shortened to “Des Moines” in 1857.
The state capital was moved here from Iowa City. It is named after the Des Moines River. The City of Des Moines traces its origins to May 1843 when Captain James Allen supervised the construction of a fort on the site where the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers merge. The fort was abandoned in 1846. Settlers occupied the abandoned fort and nearby areas.
©2005-15 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED