EADS GROVE. In Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1849-50. Deleware


Eads. Located immediately east of the present town of Lohrville. Laid out in 1882 and some improvements made, but lost in the race with Lohrville. Calhoun


EAGLE CITY. A small village in the southwest corner of Etna Township, platted in 1878. Post office, 1878-85. Hardin


EAGLE GROVE JUNCTION. The name of the present town of Eagle Grove when it was platted in 1881. Wright


EAGLE GROVE. The post office of Eagle Grove was near the northeast corner of section 20, Eagle Grove Township, two miles north and about two miles west of the present town of Eagle Grove, from 1861 until the founding of the town in 1881 Wright


EAGLE LAKE. A post office (1893-97) in section 28, Eagle Township. Kossuth


EAGLE. Located first on line between section 3 and 10, and later in section 22, Franklin township. Post office, 1865-69. Bremer


EAGLEVILLE. Selected as the county seat and platted as a town in 1855 in the southeast quarter of section 12, Eagle Grove Township. However, the town was never built and the county seat was given in 1857 to Liberty. Wright


EARLE. A post office (1869-72) and railroad station in Union Township, about two miles southwest of Derby. Lucas


EAST DAVENPORT. Laid out as a town in 1852 about one mile east of brady Street, Davenport and now included within the present City of Davenport. Scott


EAST GROVE. A post office from 1849 to 1859 on the north side of the southeast quarter of section 33, Jackson Township. There was a Quaker meeting-house half a mile to the east which was also called East Grove. Henry


EAST HAMPTON. In southern part of Silver Townsip. Post office, 1871. Cherokee


EAST MELROSE. The early name of the present town of Melrose. The post office was East Melrose from 1863 to 1878. Monroe


EAST NODAWAY. In section 21, Nodaway Township. Post office, 1869 18i5, then name changed to Rochelle. Soon thereafter changed to Nodaway. Adams


EAST ORANGE. The name for a few years of its early existence of the present town of Alton. East Orange was the name of the post office from 1874 to 1882. Sioux


EAST PLATTSMOUTH. A village on the banks of the Missouri River, in section 26, Plattville Township, opposite Plattsmouth, Nebraska. The first name given this place was Bethlehem, in 1846. The river is said to have washed away that town site. A little farther back from the river was built Sharpsburg, which was later called Junction City, and finally East Plattsmouth. Mills


EAST PORT. A village on the east bank of the Missouri River, opposite Nebraska City, Nebraska. laid out in 1800. Post office 1867-89. Freemont


EATONVILLE. The name of the post office from 1861 to 1869 about two miles west of the present town of Chester. Howard


EBER. In the southwestern part of section 9, Humboldt Township. Post office, 1859-63. Humboldt


ECHO. A post office (1893-1900) in section 11, Raglan Township. Harrison


EDEN. A hamlet in southwest corner of section 1, Eden Township. As shown on maps of 1875. Benten


EDEN. A hamlet in the southwestern part of section 24, Eden Township. Post office, 1853-1903. Fayette


EDENVILLE. The former name of the present town of Rhodes. Edenville was laid out as a town in 1866 and the post office was in that name from 1860 to 1883. Marshall


EDINBURG. A town laid out in 1840 in the northern part of section 36, Wayne Township. It was the first county seat of Jones County, 1840 to 1847. It never developed much. It had a post office from 1840 to 1847, and the office was revived in 1856, being located a little to the north in section 25, and ran until 1873.

Jones


EDINBURG. Laid out as a town in 1875 in section 35, Dodge Township, five miles northeast of Afton, but not built up. Union


EDNA. In the central part of Edna Township. Post office, 1853-69. Cass


EDOM. This is called Eden on most maps. It was a post office from 1863 to 1866, in the northeast corner of section 30, Liberty Township. Keokuk


EDWARDS.  (See Atlee). Lee


EGAN. In section 2, Linton Township. Post office, 1900-1903.  Allamakee


EGO. Former name of the town of Truro. The post office was Ego from 1881 to 1884. Madison


EGYPT. A pioneer village near the southwest corner of Mills County, about two miles from the Fremont County line. Mills


EIDE. A post office (1876-81) in section 23, Pleasant Township. Winneshiek


ELBA. In the northeast corner of section 16, Eden Township. Post office, 1873-81. Carroll


ELBERT. A hamlet in the southeastern part of Guilford Township, as shown on maps of 1885 and later. Monroe


ELBRICK. A town in the southwestern part of section 28, and the southeastern part of 29, Elliott Township. It was laid out in 1891, Its post office was from

1883 to 1924. Louisa


ELCHO. A post office from 1875 to 1878 at or near the northwest corner of Grant Township. O'Brian


ELDERGROVE. In section 8, Taylor Township.  Post office, 1897-1903. Allamakee


ELDORADO. In eastern part of Hamilton Township, as shown on maps of 1885. Decatur


ELDORADO. Laid out in an early day as a village in section 2, Cedar Township. It only attained to a mere hamlet. Monroe


ELDORADO. Platted as a village in 1857 in the north section 12 of Magnolia Township, but never built up. Harrison


ELEANOR. A hamlet and station formerly on the C.& N.W. Ry in central part of Monroe Township. Butler


ELIDE. Listed in the 1873 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Franklin County, but not found on the maps of that period. Franklin


ELIZABETH CITY. The pioneer name of the present town of Princeton. It appears on maps 1845 to 1860 as Elizabeth City. (see Pinnacle Point) (see here about Princeton)  Scott


ELIZABETH. In the northwest corner of section 12, Colfax Township. Post office, 1873-78. Grundy


ELIZABETHTOWN. At the point on the Cedar River a little below where the Cedar Valley stone quarries were Cedar


ELIZABETHTOWN. Laid out as a town in 1845 in section 15, Steady Run Township, but was short-lived. Keokuk


ELK CREEK. In the north central part of Elk Creek Township. Post office, 1853. Jasper


ELK CREEK. Listed as a post office in Worth County from 1890 to 1900, but the location not found. Worth


ELK GROVE. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Hancock County from 1857 to 1863. (not found on maps of that period) Hancock


ELK RAPIDS. In northern part of section 34, Douglas Township, on the east bank of the Des Moines River. A place of importance, having a post. office in 1850, and 150 inhabitants in 1885, but soon after that it declined For a few years afterward Elk Rapids was designated on the west side of the river, as there was a small settlement there. Boone


ELK RIVER. In the eastern part of the east section 13, Elk river Township. Post office, 1843-71. Clinton


ELK RUN. A post office (1877-79) in the southwestern part of Cook Township. Sac


ELK. In the northeastern part of Bloomington Township. Post office, 1863-1900. Decatur


ELKFORD. The original survey of Rome Township was made by Deputy Surveyor W. Barrows from January 13 to February 3, 1838, and he reported finding

the town of Elkford laid out on the northeast and Southeast quarter of section 11 and the northwest and southwest quarter of section 12, but that it had no improvements. That was about one mile northwest of the present town of Olin. Jones


ELKHART. The original town of Elkhart was laid out in 1853 in section 2, Douglas Township, about two miles southeast of the present town of Elkhart. Its post office was of the same name, but on the decline of the town the post office was removed one mile north to Ottawa, which see below, and later to the present town

of Elkhart. Polk


ELKHORN. The post office of Elkhorn was established in 1867 and was located in the northern part of section 15, Clay Township, about three miles southwest of the present town of Elkhorn. It was later removed to the village. Shelby


ELLENDALE. A place marked on maps of 1869 as a post office about one mile southeast of the present town of Carlisle. Warren


ELLENDALE. A post office (1894-1904) in the central part of Liberty Township. Plymouth


ELLENTON. A former railroad station near the northwest corner of Freedom Township, four miles north of Emmetsburg. Palo Alto


ELLINGTON. A hamlet in section 16, Ellington Township. Post office, 1859-97. Hancock

Page 1 of  2

Page

1

2

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Page 1 of  2

Page

1

2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - E