ALBANY. A village in the western part of section 14, Westfield Township. on the Volga River. It was started in 1854 and was largely devoted to the milling business.


BETHEL. In sectin 4, Bethel Township. Post office, 1859-77.


BRUSH CREEK. The name of the present town of Arlington from the time it was laid out in 1856 until about 1890, when it was changed to its present name. The name of the post office followed the name of the town.


CORN HILL. In the northeastern part of smithfield Township. Post office, 1855-61.


DOUGLASS. Name of the post office at Auburn, from 1851-1910.


DOVER MILLS. In the eastern part of Dover Township. Post office, 1889-93.


EDEN. A hamlet in the southwestern part of section 24, Eden Township. Post office, 1853-1903.


GAMBLE GROVE. In the southwestern part of Windsor Township. Post office, 1851-52.


ILLYRIA. In sectin 4, Illyria Township. Post office, 1851-1900.


JEFFERSON. The name of the post office at Otsego (which see below) in 1857 for a short time, after which the name of the post office followed the name

of the town .


LEO. In the northern part of Illyria Township. Post office, 1855-69.


LIGHTVILLE. The pioneer name of the present village of Lima. When it was platted in 1850 the name was changed to Volga City, but soon changed to Lima.


LOUISVILLE. In the northern part of Bethel Township. Post office, 1851.


LUTRA. The orginal name of the western or newer part of the present town of Elgin. Lutra was laid out in 1871 on the building of the railroad near the older

portion of Elgin.


MASSILON. A village in the western part of section 26, Auburn Township, adjoining West Auburn on the west.


MILL. In the northeast corner of section 21, Fremont Township. Post office, 1859-85.


MILL GROVE. In the northern part of Putnam Township. Post office .


NORWAY. A short distance northeast of the town of Clermont, as shown on maps of 1868-69.


ORAN. A post office in the southeastern part of secion 23, Oran Township, as shown on maps of 1875, also in Census Report of 1880.


ORION. In Westfield Township. Post office, 1856.


OTSEGO. A village in the northwest corner of section 34, Jefferson Township, laid out in 1856. Post office, 1857-73.


PENN. In the northwestern part of Oran Township. Post office, 1863.


PUTNAM. In southwestern part of Putnam Township. Post office, 1863-85.


RICHFIELD. In the northwestern part of Bethel Township. Post office, 1857-97.


SCOTT. Near the center of Scott Township. Post office, 1897-1903.


SCOTT CENTER. In the western part of Scott Township. Post office, 1865-75.


SEATON. In section 29, Smithfield Township. Post office, 1867-77.


TAYLORSVILLE. A town in sections 22 and 23, Fairfield Township. Platted in 1851. Post office, 1855-75.


TURNERSVILLE. In the eastern part of Banks Township, as shown on maps of 1862.


VOLGA CITY. A former name of the present village of Lima. (See Lightville above).


WEST ALBANY. The name of the post office from 1873 to 1881 at the village of Albany (which see above).


WEST AUBURN. A village in the central part of section 26, Auburn Township, adjoining Auburn on the northwest. The villages of Auburn, West Auburn, and Massilon constituted a group of milling villages on the Little Turkey River.


WEESTFIELD. The pioneer name of the western and older portion of the present town of Fayette. Westfield was laid out in 1851, and Fayette four years later.


WILSON'S GROVE. In the western part of Banks Township. Post office, 1861-73.


WINDSOR. In section 5, Windsor Township. Post office, 1855-89.

Fayette County

Named after Marquies de Lafayette.

A French General and Statesman.




Established December 21, 1837

Fayette County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns