AURELIA. A village in the southern part of section 8, Union Township, on the southwest side of Shell Rock River and about one-half mile northwest of the present town of Marble Rock. Laid out in 1858 and vacated in 1869.


BEELAR’S GROVE. Near where the present town of Marble Rock now stands. Post office, 1857-59.


CARNEY. In section 24, Ulster Township. Post office, 1900.


DANVILLE. The original name of the present town of Rudd.


FLOOD CREEK. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Floyd County from 1857 to 1861, but not found on maps of that period.


FLOYD CENTER. Pioneer name of the present town of Floyd.


FREEMAN. In the central part of the present city of Charles City on the southwest side of the Cedar River. Platted April 8, 1854. A post office from 1854 to 1857.


GILMANTOWN. A post office in 1855 to 1857 in the northwestern part of Floyd Township.


HACKBERRY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Floyd County from 1869 to 1871, but not found on maps of that period.


HOWARDVILLE. In the western part of Cedar Township, on the Little Cedar River. Post office, 1859-69.


NILES. In the central part of Niles Township. Post office, 1885-97. Ran a short time later as Nilesville.


RIPLEY. In the southeastern part of Ulster Township. Post office, 1857.


RIVERTON. In the northern part of Riverton Township. Post office, 1857-59.


ROCK GROVE CITY. A village of importance in the southwestern part of section 16, Rock Grove Township. Post office, 1857-69.


ROSEVILLE. Near the southeast corner of Ulster Township. Post office, 1903.


SAINT CHARLES CITY. In the central part of the present city of Charles City on the northeast side of the Cedar River. Platted September 22, 1854. The name Saint Charles City was changed to Charles City in 1860.


SARGENT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Floyd County from 1885 to 1889, but not found on maps of that period.


SCOTT. In section 23, Scott Township. Post office, 1881.


ULSTER. A village in section 10, Ulster Township. Post office, 1859-75.


WATERTOWN. A hamlet in the northern part of Floyd Township on the Cedar River. Post office, 1859-76.


WOODBRIDGE. In the western part of Scott Township, as shown on maps of 1857.

Floyd Countynamed after Sergeant Charles Floyd of the Lewis and Clark expedition. He was the first white man whose death is recorded. He was buried on the banks of the Missouri River in 1804.




Established January 15, 1851

Floyd County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns