Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

GAINESBOROUGH. A post office (1854-64) in or near the northeastern part of section 15, Harrisburg Township. Van Buren


GAINFORD. A post office (1885-96) and railway station near the north line of Cedar Township. Mahaska


GALE. A post office (1871-88) in the northeastern part of section 7, Miller Township. Woodbury


GALION. In secton 27, Bear Grove Township, Post office, 1800-1900. Cass


GALTVILLE. The name for a time of the present town of Galt. See Norwich below. The post office was Galtville from 1882 to 1888. Wright


GALVIN. A post office from 1882 to 1902 in the southeast corner of section 3, Marietta Township. Marshall


GALWAY. In the southeastern part of Union Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Dallas


GAMBLE GROVE. In the southwestern part of Windsor Township. Post office, 1851-52. Fayette


GAMBRIL. The name of a post office (1884-1919) at Martin's Station, Buttler Township  Scott.  


GAMET. A post office in 1897 in the northwestern part of Allen Township. Harrison


GARDEN GROVE. Same location as Garden. Post office 1873-85. Boone


GARDEN. on south line of section 4, Garden Township. Post office, 1875-81. Boone


GARFIELD. The name of the post office at the town of Oxford Junction from 1880-1884. Jones


GARLOCK. A post office on the east shore of the main part of Swan Lake from 1877 to 1883. Pocohantas


GARRY OWEN. In the southern part of section 3, Butler Township. Post office, 1847-1900. Jackson


GASTON. The former name of the present village of Percival. Gaston was a post office from 1853 to 1869. Freemont


GATESVILLE. In section 18, Liberty Township. Post office, 1889-1900. Buchanan


GEAR. A post office from 1879 to 1903 located in two or more places in Monroe Township, part of the time being in section 24. Madison


GEM. In section 2, Marion Township. Post office, 1859-85. Clayton


GENESEO. A post office from 1888 to 1895 in Geneseo Township. Tama


GENESCO. In the northern part of Geneseo Township. Post office, 1861-69. Cerro Gordo


GENEVA. A hamlet in western ;part of section 3, Big Grove Township, as shown on maps of 1862-75. Benten


GENEVA. A pioneer town of pretentions laid out in 1837 near the southwest corner of Sweetland Township, on the bank of the Mississippi, about three miles northeast of Muscatine. It came near to being the first county seat.  Post office 1838 to 1841. Muscative


GENOA BLUFFS. A town in the southeastern part of section 32 and southwestern of 33, Sumner Township. It was laid out in 1855 and in its early life was prosperous, at one time aspiring to be the county seat. Post office, 1859-1900. A garage is all that remains. Iowa


GENOA. A village laid out in 1855 in the southwestern part of section 13, Monroe Township.  Post office 1856-1904. Wayne


GEORGETOWN. A village in section 22, Guilford Township, Post office, 1852-1908. Monroe


GEORGETOWN. A village in the southern part of the west section 14, of Hardin Township, or about one and one-half miles west of the business section of the city of Iowa Falls. Platted in 1856. Hardin


GEORGETOWN. In the corners of West Point, Jackson, Ripley and Jefferson Townships in the geographic center of the county. It was platted 1857 and was intended to be the county seat, but never got beyond being a town on paper. Butler


GEORGETOWN. The pioneer name of the present hamlet of Holy Cross. Dubuque


GERMAN CITY. A hamlet and post office (1886-1903) in the eastern part of Willow Township. A church and a few houses still remain. Woodbury


GIARD. A town in the northwestern part of section 35, Giard Township. Platted in 1871. The post office was established, in 1854. The coming of the nearby railroad created another village to the north now called by the same name. A few residences remain in the old town. Clayton


GIBRALTAR. A post office in 1869 to 1871 in the northwest corner of Sioux Township in the northwest corner of the state. Lyon


GILBERT. A town incorporated in 1882, occupying all of section 12, Township 78, Range 24, north of the Des Moines River, now included in the southeastern part of the city of Des Moines. Polk


GILBERT.  The name of the village from the 1850's to the 1890's which occupied the site of the present city of Bettendorf.  (New information added). The first European-American settlers established a village which they called Lillienthal, after an early tavern and dance hall. The village of Gilbert developed alongside Lillienthal in 1858, honoring Elias Gilbert, who platted the original site. At that time, the residents were predominantly German immigrants and worked as farmers, skilled laborers, and small business owners. The two villages eventually combined to become the town of Gilbert.  Scott  


GILBERTTOWN. A name commonly applied to the city of Gilbert (see above).  Scott


GILEAD. In section 28, Grove Township, Post office, 1900. Adair


GILLESPIE. In Eldorado Township. Post office, 1889-93. Benten


GILMANTOWN. A post office in 1855 to 1857 in the northwestern part of Floyd Township. Floyd


GILPIN. A post office from 1885 to 1888 in section 1, Union Township. Madison


GLADE. A former railroad station and post office, previously called Polo Station. Glade was the name of the post office from 1900 to 1904. Worth


GLASSNEVIN. In section 14, Liberty Township. Post office, 1855-59. Dubuque


GLEN DALE. A post office in Muscatine County from 1850 to 1851, but the location not found. Muscative


GLEN ROY. A pioneer village on the Upper Iowa River about two miles northwest of the present town of Lime Springs. On the establishment of the railroad

station of Lime Springs in 1868 its post office for a few years was called Glen Roy to distinguish it from the old town. Howard


GLENDALE. The name of a post office from 1839 to 1841 at or near the present town of Buffalo.  Scott


GLENMARY. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northeast quarter of section 24, Brookfield Township. Never had but one house. Worth


GLENN’S. In the southeastern part of Franklin township. Post office, 1851-65. Clarke


GODDARD. A station on the former Newton & Northwestern Railroad in the northeast corner of section 29, Sherman Township. Jasper


GODFREY. A post office from 1872 to 1874 in the southern part of Richland Township, at or near the later place called Keb, which see below. Wapello


GOLDEN PRAIRIE. In section 5, Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1870-81. Deleware


GOMERSAL. In northern part of Big Grove Townsip. Post office, 1858-64. Benten


GOPHER STATION. See Wilmington below. Guthrie


GOPHER. A post office from 1872 to 1895 shown on the maps to have been part of the time in the northwestern part of Baker Township and part of the time in

the northeastern part of Goewey Township. Osceola


GOSHEN. A post office (1854-58) in the northeastern part of section 21, Indian Creek Township. Story


GOSHEN. A village in the northeastern part of Grant Township, and for a while a station on the Humeston branch of the C., B. & Q. Railroad. Diagonal grew up

about a mile east of Goshen, causing Goshen's decline.   Post office, 1872-89. Ringgold


GOSPORT. Laid out in 1853 as New Town, but name changed a few years later to Gosport. It was in the center of Washington Township, and for some years

was a busy village. Post office, 1854-1905. Marion


GOWANDO. A post office in 1860 and 1861 in the southeastern part of Marion Township. Marshall


GOWERS FERRY. A post office formerly called Cedar River (see Cedar River. It had the name of Gower's Ferry from 1849 to 1859 when it was removed to the east side of the river and the name changed to Cedar Bluff Cedar


GRACE HILL. A village in the northwestern part of section 31, Franklin Township. Post office, 1889-1904. Washington


GRACEVILLE. In the northeastern part of Baker Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Guthrie


GRAHAM. The former name of the present railroad station of Digby on the C., H. I. & P. branch between Iowa City and Elmira. Johnson


GRAINVILLE. The former name of the present village of Harvard, Grainville was also the name of the post office from 1876 to 1882. Wayne


GRAND GOLF. In the southeast quarter of section 17, Taylor Township. Surveyed in 1854. Now included in the northwestern part of the city of Vinton. Benten


GRAND MEADOW. The former name of the present railroad station and village of Ridley. Clayton



Page 1 of 2

Page

1

2

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page 1 of 2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page

1

2

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - G