ADVANCE. In the northwest corner of section 22, Richland Township. Post office, 1871-82.
ALLEN. In the southeastern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1853-55.
ALLENVILLE. A hamlet platted in 1882 in section 3, Highland Township. It has since become a part of the present town of Bayard.
AVA. In section 35, Orange Township. Post office, 1815-11.
BEAR GROVE. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 24, Bear Grove Township. Post office, 1854-1910.
BRUSHY VALLEY. In the western part of Orange Township. Post office, 1863-67.
DALMANUTHA. In the central part of section 5, Thompson Township. It was laid out in 1855 and became a business place of importance on a main stage line. Post office, 1863-75.
DODGE. In western part of Highland Township. Post office, 1859-81.
ERASTUS. In the eastern part of section 26, Orange Township. Post office, 1885-1903.
FAIRVIEW. The name by which the village of Morrisburg (which see below) was known for the first year or two of its existence.
GOPHER STATION. (See Wilmington below).
GRACEVILLE. In the northeastern part of Baker Township, as shown on maps of 1887.
GUTHRIE. The name of the post office at Menlo for the first few months of its existence.
HARBOR STATION. In the southeastern part of Jackson Township on the over1and stage route in the late 1850's and early 1860’s.
HARRISON. In the southwestern part of Union Township, as appears on maps of 1878.
LEADVILLE. A post office in the southern part of Valley Township, established in 1879 but discontinued when the village of Montieth was started.
MACKSVILLE. A post office from 1862 to 1868 about two miles east of the present town of Stuart.
MAIDA. In the western part of Seeley Township. Post office, 1863-65.
MOFFITT'S GROVE. In the northern part of Victory Township. Post office, 1858-83.
MORRISBURG. A village of some pretensions in sections 4 and 5, Jackson Township. Laid out in 1855. Post office, 1857-65.
NELSON. In the southwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1885-1903.
PENNSBURG. Slightly east of where the present town of Stuart now stands, as shown on the maps of 1855 to 1857.
RIDGEWAY. In the southern part of section 28, Beaver Township, about one mile west of where the present town of Menlo is located.
SAFESIDE. In the western part of section 6, Thompson Township. Post office, 1897-1904.
SEDALIA. The name first given the present town of .Jamaica, but on being platted later in the same year, 1882, it was named Van Nest, but shortly thereafter changed to Jamaica.
TUTTLE GROVE. In section 20, Orange Township. Post office, 1875-77.
VAN NEST. (See Sedalia above.)
WEST MILTON. In the southwestern part of section 10, Penn Township. A town was p1atted in 1855 but only a few buildings were erected, Post office, 1856-61.
WILKINS. In the southwest quarter of section 23, Highland Township, near the banks of the Middle Raccoon River. A town was laid out here but proved to be only a town on paper.
WILSON'S. In the south section 9 of Cass Township, about two miles southeast of Panora, as shown on maps of 1857.
WILMINGTON. A village platted in 1857 on government lots 1, 2 and 8, section 4, Thompson Township. Because of the appearance of its sod houses it was jokingly called Gopher Station, and the name stuck. Abandoned when Dalmanutha, a mile and a half southwest, grew up.
Guthrie County, named after Edwin Guthrie.
He was a Captain in the Iowa volunteers during the Mexican War.
Established July 8, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005-2015 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|