BERLIN. A busy village in its day on the line between sections 22 and 23, Jackson Township. Post office, 1863-78.
COTTAGE. In the northeastern part of section 32, Ellis Township. Post office, 1863-1900.
DELANTA. The name of the post office from 1859 to 1869 at the town of Zenia, which see below.
DUANE. A village which was included within the present town of Alden at the time of the latter's incorporation in 1879.
EAGLE CITY. A small village in the southwest corner of Etna Township, platted in 1878. Post office, 1878-85.
ELLIS. In northern part of section 9, and later in section 5, Ellis Township. Post office, 1875-1900.
FONTAINE. In Etna Township near where now stands the present town of Ackley. Post office, 1859-65.
GEORGETOWN. A village in the southern part of the west section 14, of Hardin Township, or about one and one-half miles west of the business section of the city of Iowa Falls. Platted in 1856.
HARDIN CITY. A town inside the big bend of the Iowa River in section 7, Clay Township. It was platted in 1854. and for several years was the most prosperous place in the county. Post office, 1855-81.
HAZEL GREEN. A town p1atted in 1855 in section 5, Clay Township, but never got beyond a town on paper.
IDAHO. A post office in section 17, Grant Township, from 1876 to 1880.
La YUBA. In the southeastern part of Etna Township near the site of the present village of Cleves. Post office, 1859-63.
LINK. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1881 as a post office in Hardin County, but not found on the maps of that period.
LITHOPOLIS. The name of the post office at the present town of Steamboat Rock from 1856 to 1869.
MIDLAND. In the southern part of Providence Township. Post office, 1871-75.
PILGRIM’S GROVE. In the northwestern part of Ellis Township, as shown on maps of 1862, and in the northeastern part of Buckeye Township, as shown on maps of 1863 to 1868.
POINT PLEASANT. In the western part of section 18, Pleasant Township, and the eastern part of section 13, Tipton Township. It was platted in 1855, and was prosperous for several years. In 1858 it came near being made the county seat.
POUGHKEEPSIE. In the eastern part of section 16, Alden Township. Platted in 1855 but the attempt to make a town failed.
QUEBEC. A village laid out in 1856 in section 32, Pleasant Township. Post office, 1857-65.
RATHTON. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1885 as a post office in Hardin County, but not found on the maps of that period.
RICORD. In the northeastern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1889-97.
ROCKSYLVANIA. The first name given in 1854, to what is now the city of Iowa Falls, but which it kept but a part of that year. In November of the same year a town was platted about one mile east of what is now the business section of Iowa Falls and it was named Rocksylvania. The post office there was called by the same name for a time in 1857.
ROCKWOOD. The name of the post office at Rocksylvania from 1855 to 1857.
SANDERSONVILLE. A village on the Iowa River one half mile southeast of the present village of Gifford. Had water power for turning out woodenware.
TIPTON GROVE. In section 22, and later in section 26, Tipton Township. Post office, 1865-80.
XENIA. A town in the southwestern part of section 28, Eldora Township, three miles south of the present city of Eldora. It was platted in 1857 and flourished for a few years. Its post office was named Delanta. (see above)
Named after John J. Hardin.
He was an Illinois Colonel
who was killed in the Mexican War.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|