ALLEN. In section 26, Allen Township. Post office, 1897-1903.
BEEBEETOWN. A hamlet in section 26, LaGrange Township. Post office, 1879-1903.
BIGLER'S GROVE. Listed as a post office in 1869, and shown on maps in the eastern part of Magnolia Township.
BUENA VISTA. The town of Whiteboro (which see below) was platted under this name, but name soon changed.
CALHOUN. A town platted in 1853 in the southern part of section 19, Calhoun Township, near the west bank of Willow River. Prosperous in the late 1860's. Post office, 1855-1900.
CINCINNATI. A village platted in 1857, in section 22, Cincinnati Township, on the banks of the Missouri River, and about one mile south of the present village of California Junction.
CRISP. A post office (1897-1903) in the northwestern part of section 8, Union Township.
ECHO. A post office (1893-1900) in section 11, Raglan Township.
ELDORADO. Platted as a village in 1857 in the north section 12 of Magnolia Township, but never built up.
FONTAINBLEAU. A village in the northeastern part of section 18, Little Sioux Township, on the banks of the Little Sioux River. Platted in 1855. Post office, 1857.
GAMET. A post office in 1897 in the northwestern part of Allen Township.
HARRIS GROVE. A post office (1863-67) first in section 14, LaGrange Township, and later moved to one or more locations in the township before it was discontinued.
HARRISON. In the central part of Harrison Township. Post office, 1867-69.
HOWSIER. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1857 as a post office in Harrison County, but not found on the maps of that period.
JEDDO CITY. A town platted in 1856, in section 12, Jefferson Township. A thriving village for a few years. Post office, 1856-67. It was revived again as Ojedo
for a brief time in the early 1880's.
MARTEN'S RANCH. Listed in the U. S. Official Register from 1857 to 1867 as a post office in Harrison County, but not found on maps of that period.
MELROSE. A village platted in 1860, in section 2, Taylor Township. It was a station on the stage line between Council Bluffs and Sioux City.
MOUNT NORRIS. Shown in the northern part of Union Township on maps of 1873 to 1878.
NEEDMORE. A post office in section 17, Cass Township, during the 1880's.
NEW SAINT JOHNS. The name first applied, but only for a brief period, to the present city of Missouri Valley.
OJEDO. (see Jeddo City above)
OLD SAINT JOHNS. The name applied to Saint Johns (which see below) in the later years of its existence.
OLMSTEAD. A village in section 27, Harrison Township, platted in 1857, three miles south of the present town of Dunlap. Post office, 1859.
OLYMPUS. A post office (1882-97), first in section 5, Lincoln Township, and later in section 12, Allen Township.
PARRRISH CITY. A town platted in 1858 in sections 21 and 22, Cincinnati Township, adjacent to and a rival of the town of Cincinnati (see above)
RAGLAN. A post office from 1864 to 1867 in section 25, Raglan Township.
REEDER'S MILLS. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 34, Jefferson Township. Post office, 1858-1900.
RODE. The former name of the present Illinois Central Railroad station of Euclid. Post office, 1900-1903.
SAINT JOHNS. A town in sections 27 and 28, Saint Johns Township, on the southeast side of the Boyer River and about two miles southeast of the present city
of Missouri Valley. Platted in 1857 and an important town in its day. Post office, 1858-71.
SOLDIER VALLEY. A post office (1872-81) in the northern part of section 34, Jackson Township.
UNIONBURG. A hamlet and post office (1869-89) in the southern part of section 23, Union Township.
VALLEY VIEW. A post office (1870-89) in section 2, Union Township.
WHITEBORO. A town in section 10, Jefferson Township. It was platted in 1856 as Buena Vista, but the name was soon changed to Whiteboro. Its post office ran from 1856 to 1903. It prospered until the establishment of Logan four miles to its southwest.
YAZOO. The name of the post office (1859-75) at the town of Cincinnati, which see above.
Named after William Henry Harrison.
He was the ninth
President of the United States.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|