BALTIMORE. A small hamlet and a post office in section 18, Baltimore Township, on the north side of Skunk River, as shown on maps of 1857.
BANGALL. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Henry County, but not found on maps of that period.
BEERY. In the northwestern part of Baltimore Township. Post office, 1897-1900.
BELFAST. In the southwestern part of Trenton Township, south of the Skunk River, as shown on maps of 1857.
BOYLESTON. In the northwestern part of section 25, Jackson Township, on the Skunk River, and later, three fourths of a mile south of that in the northwestern part of section 36. Post office, 1869-93.
COTTON GROVE. In the southern part of section 21 and later in the northeast corner of section 28, Canaan Township. Post office, 1861-8l.
CROOKED CREEK. The name of the post office from 1843 to 1851 at what later became the village of Marshall, which see below.
EAST GROVE. A post office from 1849 to 1859 on the north side of the southeast quarter of section 33, Jackson Township. There was a Quaker meeting-house half a mile to the east which was also called East Grove.
JEFFERSON. In section 22, Jefferson Township, as shown on maps of 1854 and 1857.
La HOYT. The name of the post office (1881-1903) at the former C., B. & Q. railroad station of Ketcham between Mount Pleasant and Rome.
LANCASTER. The name first given to the present village of Trenton when it was laid out in 1836, but which it kept only a year when it was changed to Trenton.
McCABES. Near the center of Canaan Township, as shown on maps of 1855, 1856 and 1857.
McCARVERSTOWN. The pioneer name of the present village of Lowell, prior to 1843.
MARSHALL. The name first. given the present town of Wayland. It was laid out as Marshall in 1851. The name of its post office which had been Crooked Creek (see above) was Marshall from 1851 to 1875.
RURAL. Listed in the 1893 U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Henry County, but not found on maps of that period.
SHOCKLEY. The name of the post office at the present town of Winfield from 1852 to 1853.
STRINGTOWN. See Traxler below.
TRAXLER. In the western part of section 20, Marion Township. Post office, 1893-97. Stringtown was the name of the hamlet here.
VEGA. A post office (1851-97) shown in the northwestern part of Salem Township on maps of 1856 and 1857, but in the western part of Tippecanoe Township on maps of the 1890's.
WASHINGTON. The early name of the present town of Hillsboro. The name was changed about 1851.
WINONA. In the southwestern part of section 13, Wayne Township. Post office, 1871-75.
WOODLAWN. A post office one and one-half miles south of the city of Mount Pleasant, in existence for a short time in the early 1880's.
Named after General Henry Dodge.
He was a Govenor of
the Wisconsin Territory.
Established December 7, 1836
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|