Page 1 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

HACKBERRY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Floyd County from 1869 to 1871. not found on maps of that period. Floyd


HACKNEY'S GROVE. A post office (1852-53) at or near the later post office of Handsome View. (see Handsome View below)  


HAGERTY. In the northern part of Westport Township. Post office, 1893-1903. Dickinson


HALE CITY. The name by which the present village of Hale is shown on the maps of the early 1880's. Jones


HALE VILLAGE. The name of the post office of the present village of Hale from 1872 to 1883. Jones


HALE.   Had it’s beginning as Hale’s Post Office (Hale, IA) but the name was changed to St. Joseph. Kossuth


HALFA. Emmet HALFWAY PRAIRIE. A post office in the western part of Pleasant Township from 1849 to 1875. Monroe


HALL CREEK. A post office from 1872 to 1874 in section 29, Spring Valley Township. Monona


HAMAKER'S. A post office in the southern part of section 2, Liberty Township, as appears on maps of 1868 and 1869. Marion


HAMERVILLE. In section 33, Homer Township. Post office, 1897-1900. Buchanan


HAMLIN GROVE. In southeastern part of Exira Township. Post office, 1855-71. Audubon


HAMLIN. In sections 1 and 2, Hamlin Township. Laid out in 1872. It was beautifully located, had a hotel, several stores, residences, etc., was defeated for the county seat in 1873 and soon declined. Audubon


HAMLIN. A post office (1867-69) in Sloan Township. Woodbury


HAMMONDSBURG. A hamlet on the line between sections 11 and 14, Otter Township, a little west of the midway part of the line, and about two and one-half miles northwest of the present town of Milo. Post office 1851-79.  


HANCOCK CENTER. The local pioneer name of the village of Concord. Hancock


HANDSOME VIEW. A post office (1853-59) slightly east of the center of Squaw Township. (see Hackney's Grove above)  


HANOVER. Listed in Index Plat Directory to Towns, etc., in Polk County, by George A. McVicker, 1884, as an obsolete town in Polk County, but its location not found. Polk


HANOVER. In section 31, Hanover Township, Post office, 1875-85. Allamakee


HAPPY CORNERS. The local name in the 1880's of the hamlet now known as Neptune, in the southern part of Stanton Township. Plymouth


HAPPY HOLLOW. A hamlet about two miles east of Harvard in the years around 1900, principally occupied by coal miners. Wayne


HAPPY HOLLOW. A post office (1870-77) at or near the location where later appeared Shock's Station. (see Shock's Station) Wapello


HARBOR STATION. In the southeastern part of Jackson Township on the over1and stage route in the late 1850's and early 1860’s. Guthrie


HARDER'S CORNER. Listed in the U. S. Official Register from 1856 to 1860 as a post office in Page County, but the location not found. Page


HARDIN. In the extreme southwest corner of Franklin Township and partly in Clanton County, on the military road from McGregor to Fort Atkinson, A town of importance. Began to be settled in 1848 find was platted in 1854. Post office, 1851-65. Allamakee


HARDIN. In the northwest corner of section 6, Monona Township. Partly in Allamakee County.  Clayton


HARDIN. A post office and the virtual county seat for a year or two before Jefferson was established in 1855, as William Phillips had become both postmaster and county judge there and held court there. It was located four miles southeast of the present site of Jefferson in the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 22, Grant Township, near Hardin Creek. Greene


HARDIN CITY. A town inside the big bend of the Iowa River in section 7, Clay Township. It was platted in 1854. and for several years was the most prosperous place in the county. Post office, 1855-81. Hardin


HARMON'S SWITCH. The present town of Jordan was called by this name for a while. Boone


HARMONY. In the northern part of Cedar Township. Post office, 1852-59. Jefferson


HARMONY. Listed from 1868 to 1871 as a post office in Taylor County, but the location not found. Taylor


HARPERSVILLE.  (See Stringtown)


HARRISBURG. Hamlet of brief existence established about 1840 in Harrisburg Township, thought to have been near center of the township.

Van Buren


HARRISBURG. Another hamlet by this name in a vcry early day was laid out on the opposite side of the Des Moines River from Farmington, but its existence was brief. Van Buren


HARRISRURG. A town laid out in 1855 in section 14, Highland Township. It proved short-lived. Washington


HARRISBURG. Laid out as a town in 1843 on the same site as later appeared the town of Rochester. Harrisburg was never developed.  Mahaska


HARRIS GROVE. A post office (1863-67) first in section 14, LaGrange Township, and later moved to one or more locations in the township before it was discontinued. Harrison


HARRISON. A post office (1879-84) near the southwest corner of Boomer Township. Pottawattamie


HARRISON. A town started in about 1857 in the south section 23, Port Louisa Township, on the east bank of the Iowa river and about a mile and a half northeast of Wappello. It was expected by its builders that it would be the county seat. It still has a few dwellings. Post office, 1840-57. Louisa


HARRISON. A post office from 1900 to 1905 near the center of Webster Township. Madison


HARRISON. In the central part of Harrison Township. Post office, 1867-69. Harrison


HARRISON. In the southwestern part of Union Township, as appears on maps of 1878. Guthrie


HARRISONVILLE. Laid out in 1854 in the southeast quarter of the north section 32, Clay Township, about one mile north of the present village of Durham, but never built up. Marion


HARRISONVILLE (Lincoln Township, Plymouth County)  (see “Stories of the Past,” Harrisonville).


HARTFORD. In central part of Danville Township. Post office, 1841-51. Des Moines


HARTLAND. A post office which occupied, during its existence, from 1860 to 1875, two or three different locations in the northwestern part of Hartland Township. There is still a Hartland store and creamery in that township. Worth


HARTLAND. A post office from 1890 to 1900 three miles south of Marietta. Marshall


HARTWICK. A village in the northwestern part of section 30, Delhi Township. Laid out in 1858. Post office 1833-61. Deleware


HARVARD. A former village and station on the C., R. I. & P. Ry., about five miles east of Allerton. Wayne


HARVEY MILLS. A post office in Linn Township in 1881. Dallas


HARVEY'S MILLS. In the northern part of section 26, Penn Township. Post office, 1868-73. Jefferson


HARVEY'S POINT. A post office (1850-52) in Clay Township. Polk


HARWELL. In section 4, Springfield Township. Post office, 1854-63. Cedar


HASKALIA. A proposed town on the Illinois Central near the present town of Judd. Webster


HATCH. A post office in the southwestern part of section 32, Lott Creek Township, from 1871 to 1875. Kossuth


HATTON. Listed as a post office in Polk County from 1882 to 1891, but its location not found. Polk


HAUNTOWN. Name of the village where was located Elk river Post office. For years the village maintained a store, mill distillery, etc. Clinton


HAVANNA. In the northwestern part of Kendrick Township, near the North Raccoon River, as shown on maps of 1857 to 1862. Greene


HAVEN. The name of the village and post office (1870-1903) previously known as Eureka, which see above. Tama


HAWKEYE CITY. Laid out in section 11, Douglas Township, as told by Colby's Atlas of 1876, but never built up. Union


HAWKEYE. In western part of Huron Township. Post office, 1845-63. Des Moines


HAYES. In section 15, Lincoln Township, Post office, 1881-1903. Adams


HAZARD. The former name of the present town of Meriden. Post office, 1869-71. Cherokee


HAZEL. In section 7, White Water Township. Post office, 1885.  


HAZEL GREEN. A town p1atted in 1855 in section 5, Clay Township, but never got beyond a town on paper. Hardin


HAZEL GREEN. In section 12, Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1856-1900. Deleware


HAZELTON. This village began in 1853 in the southwestern part of section 11, Hazleton Township, and flourished there until 1873 when the B.C.R.& N. was built one mile west of it. Soon thereafter the town was removed to the railroad. Buchanan

Page 1 of  3

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - H