ALBERTON. Laid out as a town in section 10, Dayton Township by A. T. Cross on September 3, 1857 , but never built up.
AMBROSE. A post office (1897-1900) in section 28, Dayton Township.
ARMAH. A post office (1897-1900) in section 26, Dayton Township.
BOLTONVILLE. A post office (1871-73) in the southwest corner of section 26, Iowa Township.
BOYLE. In York Township, Section 5. This was a Post Office established on December 22, 1884, less than 1 mile west of Pittsburg Post Office on the State
Road to Iowa City. Thomas Boyle was named postmaster.
CARTER. A post office (1881-85) in the southwestern part of Fillmore Township, section 29, some three miles northeast of the present town of North English. Included some businesses and residences.
CONO. A post office (1855-63) in the eastern part of Cono Township.
DAYTON. A town laid out in section 1, Cono Township. Post office, 1857-59.
DOVER. Laid out as a town in 1857 on the south line of section 6, Honey Creek Township, but no town developed, but is shown on maps as late as 1875 as a post office.
DOWNARDS. In the western part of Sumner Township. Post office, 1855-59.
FOX. In the southwest part of Iowa Township, as shown on maps of 1887.
FOOTE. In the southeastern part of section 35, Fillmore Township, on the Keokuk County line. Post office, 1863-1900.
FREMONT. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northern part of section 23, Fillmore Township, but never Materialized.
GENOA BLUFFS. A town in the southeastern part of section 32 and southwestern of 33, Sumner Township. It was laid out in 1855 and in its early life was prosperous, at one time aspiring to be the county seat. Post office, 1859-1900. A garage is all that remains.
GREENE CENTER. In the south central part of Greene Township. Post office, 1889-1900.
GREEN VALLEY Click to see below
HEDGE. A post office (1881-1930) in the north central part of Dayton Township.
HINKLETOWN. Name of the hamlet at the location of the post office of Foote. (see above)
IONE. In the northern part of Greene Township. Listed as a post office in U. S. Official Register in 1854 and shown on maps as late
JONES. A post office (1857-69) in section 5, Greene Township.
LYTLE CITY. A town in the central part of section 1, Fillmore Township. It was laid out in 1857. After the establishment of Parnell on the new C., M. & St. P.
Hy. in 1884, Lytle City's existence soon ended.
MORIAH. A post office (1873-76) in the southwestern part of Honey Creek Township.
MUSQUAKA. A post office (1875-93) in the northeastern part of section 29, Dayton Township.
NEVADA. The name of the present town of North English during its early existence.
PRAIRIE CREEK. A post office (1855-67) in the western part of Honey Creek Township, near the Powcshiek County line.
RIVERDALE. Near the northwest corner of Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1873-76.
SOAPTOWN. A common name applied to North English in its pioneer years.
STELAPOLS. The name of the post office at the town of Williamsburg from 1861 to 1880, as shown in the U.S. Official Register.
WEST PILOT. In section 15, Pilot Township. Post office, 1872-89.
WEST TROY. On west line of section 19, Troy Township. Post office, 1873-81.
WILSON. The original name of the present town of Victor. The name was changed from Wilson to Victor in 1862 when the post office of Victor, which had been in existence from 1854, and located about two miles to the south, was removed to near the newly built C., R. I. & P. Depot.
YORK CENTER. In the western part of section 9, York Township. Post office, 1869-1900.
Iowa County was so named
because of the Iowa River
which runs through the County
Established February 17, 1843
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
Towns in blue highlight lead to further information
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|