ALMA. A post office in section 28, Butler Township, in the early 1890’s.


AMOY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jackson County from 1847 to 1848, but not found on maps of that period.


BRIDGEPORT. A village in the eastern part of section 17, Maquoketa Township. Post office, 1851-73.


CARROLLPORT. The name first given (1837) to the present town of Sabula.


CENTERVILLE. A hamlet in the southeastern part of section 16, Prairie Springs Township, as shown on maps of 1875.


CHARLESTON. The name of the present town of Sabula from 1837 for a few years. That was the designation of the post office from 1837 to 1846 .


CLARKSTOWN. The former name of the present town of Green Island.


COBB. The name of the post office from 1853 to 1860 at the village of Millrock.  (see below)


COLONA. A town laid out in 1856, now included in the southwestern portion of the present town of Monmouth .


COPPER CREEK. In the southern part of Van Buren Township. Post office, 1851-53.


COTTONVILLE. An old village in sections 22 and 27, Richland Township. Post office, 1851-1900.


CRABB'S MILLS. In the northeastern part of section 14, Brandon Township, on the North Fork of the Maquoketa River. The post office ran from 1873 to 1875, after which until 1889 it was designated as Crabb. The hamlet was known as Crabbtown and existed some time before the establishment of the post office.


DUGGAN. In section 26, Butler Township. Post office, 1893-1900.


DUKE. A post office in the northwest corner of section 19, Prairie Springs Township, as appears on maps of 1875.


FARMER'S CREEK. In the northeastern part of Farmer's Creek Township. Post office, 1853-71.


FREMONT. A town platted in 1859, now included in the east portion of the present town of Baldwin.


GARRY OWEN. In the southern part of section 3, Butler Township. Post office, 1847-1900.


HICKORY GROVE. In the western part of section 32, Bellevue Township. Post office, 1851-67.


HIGGINSPORT. In the western part of Van Buren Township. Post office, 1853-89.


HUGO. In section 7, Butler Township. Post office, 1900.


IRON HILL. A village in section 30, Farmer's Creek Township, platted in 1869. Post office, 1851-1910.


ISABEL. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jackson County from 1859 to 1867, but not found on the maps of that period.


LOWELL. A town platted in the 184O's one mile north of the business section of the present city of Maquoketa. Its existence was brief.


MILLROCK. A village, platted in 1854, in the northwestern part of section 27, Monmouth Township, about one mile south of the present town of Baldwin. Post office, 1861-71.


MOUNT ALGOR. In section 19, Iowa Township. Post office, 1857-73.


NEW CASTI.E. A post office in section 23, Farmers Creek Township, in 185l.


NORTH MAQUOKETA. A town of brief existence about 1840 north of the present city of Maquoketa and on the North Fork of the Maquoketa River.


OTTER CREEK. A village in the southwestern part of section 24, Otter Creek Township. Post office, 1853-1900.


OZARK. A village in the western part of section 5, Brandon Township, on the North Fork of Maquoketa River. Post office, 1855-97.


PRAIRIE SPRINGS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jackson County from 1845 to 1847, but not found on maps of that period.


ROLLEY. In the southwestern part of Fairfield Township. Post office, 1854-63.


SILSBE. A post office from 1841 to 1843 near where stands the present town of Andrew.


SMITH'S FERRY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1851 as a post office in Jackson County, but not found on maps of that period.


SPRINGFIELD. The name of the post office from 1840 to 1845 located where the city of Maquoketa now stands. The name of the office was changed to Maquoketa in 1845.


SPRUCE MILLS. Near the southeast corner of Tete Des Morts Township. Post office, 1853-63.


STERLING, An old village at the corners of sections 15, 16, 21 and 22, Iowa Township, Post office, 1853-97.


SUI.I.IVAN, In the northwestern part of Prairie Springs Township. Post office, 1851-61.


SUMMER HILL. In the southeastern part of Fairfield Township. Post office, 1855-65.


TETE DES MORTS. The name of the post office from 1841 to 1851 at the present village of Saint Donatus.


UNION CENTER. In the southwestern part of Fairfield Township. Post office, 1865-97.


VAN BUREN. A hamlet in section 15, Van Buren Township. Post office, 1852~1900.


WAGONERSBURG. Listed in the U. S. 0fficial Register of 1861 as a post office in Jackson County, and thought to have been where Emeline is now located, section 22, Brandon Township.


WATERFORD. In the central part of South Fork Township, south of the Maquoketa River. Post office 1855-67.


WICKLIFFE. A post office from 1843 to 1873 near where now stands the town of Green Island.

Jackson County was named after

Andrew Jackson

The 7th President of he United States.




Established December 21, 1837

Jackson County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns