AMISH. In the western part of section 22, Washington Township. Post office, 1857-1903.
BELL AIR. In the northwestern part of section 35, Sharon Township. Post office, l857-77.
BON ACCORD. The name of the post office from l859 to 1897 at the Village of South Liberty. (see below)
CARTHAGE. In the eastern part of Scott Township. Post office, I853-65
CHASE. In the southwest corner of section 33, Madison Township. Post office, l868-1902.
COPI. In section 2·l, Oxford Township. Post office, 1847-68.
CURTIS. In the southern part of section 22, Madison Township, on the south side of the Iowa River. Post office, I897-1909.
DANFORTH In section 3, Monroe Township. Post office, l858-1901.
DODD. Listed in the 1881 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Johnson County, but not found on maps of that period.
FRENDALE. In the western part of section 32, Hardin Township. Post Office, 1895-1902.
GRAHAM. The former name of the present railroad station of Digby on the C., H. I. & P. branch between Iowa City and Elmira.
GREEN CASTLE. A village in the southwest corner of section 31 and the northwest corner of section 6, Madison Township. It was platted In 1856.
GREGG. In the eastern part of section 14, Monroe Township. Post office, 1879-99.
HUESTON. In the northern part of Jefferson Township, as shown On maps of 1856 and 1857.
INDIAN VILIAGE. In western part of Fremont Township near the east bank of the Iowa River, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869.
IVES. A post office at the railroad station of Elmira from 1892 to 1903.
LEONA. Listed in the 1857 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Johnson County, but not found on maps of that period.
MAHERN. In the northern part of Monroe Township. Post office, 1861-65.
MONROE. Town laid out in 1839 in the southeastern part of Monroe Township near the line between sections 25 and 26. It never materialized.
MORFORDSVILIE. A village in the southwestern part of section 24 Pleasant Valley Township, platted in 1855. Post office, 1856-57; 1876-94.
NAPOLEON. In section 22, Lucas Township, about two miles south of the business section of Iowa City and east of the Iowa River. It was laid out in 1837 and in 1838 legally became the county seat, but failed to become so actually, and never became a town only on paper.
NEMORA. The name of the post office from 1865 to 1869 at the present town of Oxford.
NEW CASTLE. In the northwestern part of Madison Township on the south side of the Iowa River, as shown on maps of 1881 to 1887.
NEWPORT CENTER. Near the east line of Newport Township. Post office, 1853-80.
PALESTINE. In section 18, Fremont Township. Post office, 1855-73.
SEPANAMO. In the western part of section 12, Fremont Township, on the east side of the Iowa River opposite the mouth of the English River. Laid out in 1837, it was the first town platted in the county, but it never materialized.
SEVENTY EIGHT. In section 27, Liberty Township, on the west bank of the Iowa River. Post office, 1853-75.
SEVENTY SEVEN. The name of the post office at River Junction from 1849 to 1859.
SHOO FLY. In the northeast part of section 32, Fremont Township. Post office, 1871-1901.
SOUTH LIBERTY. A village laid out in 1857 in the western part of section 17, Liberty Township. Its post office was Bon Accord, which see above.
TANKTOWN. The early name of the railroad station at the present town of Oxford.
UNITY. In the northeast corner of section 16, Union Township. post office, 1871-1900.
WILLIAMSTOWN . Another name by which was known the hamlet of Frank Pierce. Williamstown was platted as a village in 1854.
WINDHAM. A village in the central part of section 34, Hardin Township. It was laid out in 1854. One store still remains. post office, 1854-1902.
Johnson County was named after
Richard Mentor Johnson.
He served as the Vice President of the United States from 1837 to 1841.
Established December 21, 1837
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|