ARGAND. A post office from 1880 to 1899 in section 4, Castle Grove Township.
BIG WOODS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1847 as a post office in Jones County, and mentioned in the History of Jones County, by R. M. Corbit, but not found on maps of that period. Thought to have been in Castle Grove Township.
BLOOMFIELD. Shown on maps of the early 1840's as a town laid out in the western part of Jones County on the north bank of the Wapsipinicon River.
BLUE CUT. The name first given the present village and railroad station of Amber. The post office was Blue Cut from 1873 to 1878.
BOWEN'S PRAIRIE, A village in the southwestern part of section 6, Richland Township. Platted in 1853. Post office, 1849-1902.
CASS CENTER. A post office from 1862 to 1865 in section 22, Cass Township.
CASTLE GROVE. A post office from 1851 to 1903, although not continuous, in Castle Grove Township. In its early period it was in the central part of the township, and later in the southern part of section 3.
CLAYFORD. A post office, 1861 to 1902, in the eastern part of section 7, Clay Township,
CLAY MILL A village in the southern part of section 10, Clay Township. Post office, 1863-1902.
CONDIT. A post office in 1880 to 1882 in section 21, Cass Township.
DARTMOUTH. The name first given to a town laid out in 1840 on a location which is now a portion of the present city of Anamosa. The plat was never recorded.
DOWNERSVILLE. A village in the western part of section 14, Castle Grove Township. Post office, 1870-72.
DUANE. A post office, 1855-61, in section 3, Cass Township.
EDINBURG. A town laid out in 1840 in the northern part of section 36, Wayne Township. It was the first county seat of Jones County, 1840 to 1847. It never developed much. It had a post office from 1840 to 1847, and the office was revived in 1856, being located a little to the north in section 25, and ran until 1873.
ELKFORD. The original survey of Rome Township was made by Deputy Surveyor W. Barrows from January 13 to February 3, 1838, and he reported finding the town of Elkford laid out on the northeast and Southeast quarter of section 11 and the northwest and southwest quarter of section 12, but that it had no improvements. That was about one mile northwest of the present town of Olin.
FARM CREEK. Another name applied to the village of Clay Mill, which See above.
FAIRVIEW. A village laid out in 1841 near the center of section 20, Fairview Township, about four miles southwest of Anamosa. Post office, 1843-1904. A few dwelling houses still remain.
FULLER'S MILLS. In the northeast part of Scotch Grove Township, on the Maquokata River. Post office 1859-69.
GARFIELD. The name of the post office at the town of Oxford Junction from 1880-1884.
GROVE CREEK. A post office from 1850 to 1889 on the north line of section 4, Castle Grove Tosnship.
HALE CITY. The name by which the present village of Hale is shown on the maps of the early 1880's.
HALE VILLAGE. The name of the post office of the present village of Hale from 1872 to 1883.
HIGHLAND GROVE. A post office in section 36, Fairfield Township, from 1852 to 1875.
ISABELL. A village at the intersections of 13, 14, 23 and 24, Jackson Township. Post office, 1857-67.
JOHNSON. A village at the intersection of 23, 24, 25, and 26, Scotch Grove Township. A busy village in its day. Post office, 1853-80.
JOHNSONTOWN. The name most often given the village of Johnson, which see above.
JONESVILLE. The name of the post office for a few months at what afterward became Edinburg.
LEXINGTON. The orginal name of the southwestern portion of the present City of Anamosa, later called Dublin.
MADISON. A village in sections 20 and 21, Madison Township, Laid out in 1856. Post office, 1855-73.
MARSHFIELD. The name first given to the post office of the town of Wyoming, which was in 1854. It was changed to Wyoming in 1855.
MINERAL CREEK. A place in section 34, Scotch Grove Township, according to maps of 1868.
NEWPORT. A town platted in 1846, in the northern part of section 33, Jackson Township, just south of the Wapsipinicon River. It was selected as the county seat in 1847, but never so used.
NORWICH. In section 32, Fairview Township, as shown on maps of 1856.
PAMAHO. A post office established in 1890, located about one mile west of the village of Fairview, but a few months later it relocated to Fairview, but retained its name until 1849 when it was changed to Fairview.
PIERCE. A post office from 1853 to 1857 in section 22, Wyoming Township.
RICHLAND. A town platted in 1856 in the southwest quarter of section 5, Richland Township. A kind of suburb of Bowen's Prairie.
ROME. The orginal name of the present town of Olin. Rome was platted in 1842 and the name changed to Olin in about 1868.
SPENCERVILLE. In section 3, Wyoming Township, as shown on maps of 1881.
STRAWBERRY HILL. Formerly an independent village adjacent to Anamosa on the east, but a part of that city since 1901.
TEMPLE HILL. A hamlet in the northern part of section 21, Washington Township. It had a post office in 1851 to 1860, when it was discontinued but was revived again and ran from 1884 to 1901.
VIROQUA. The name of the present town of Morley from 1813 to 1886, the post office also having the same name.
WALNUT FORK. A village that was slightly to the east of the present town of Olin and was platted in 1854. The post office was named Walnut Fork and ran from 1841 to 1872.
ZURICH. A post office from 1860 to 1866 in section 4, Richland Township.
Jones County was named after
George Wallace Jones.
He was the first delegate in Congress
from the Wisconsin Territory.
Established December 21, 1837
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|