AURORA. A hamlet on the west line of section 3 and the east line of section 4, Adams Township, about midway as to north and south of that line.
Post office, 1859-84.
BADEN. A town laid out in 1856 in the southeast corner of section 36, German Township. Post office 1862-72.
BAXTER. A coal mining town in the south central part of section 4, Washington Township, during the 1880's.
CHANDLER. A post office from 1858 to 1880 near the northeast corner of section 23, Liberty Township.
COAL. CREEK. A town at the intersection of sections 29, 30, 31 and 32, Prairie Township, laid out in 1866. It was prosperous until about 1880. The post office
was first located on the north line of section 24 in 1853 but about 1866 was removed to the newly established village and ran until 1903. A few scattered dwellings, two churches and a school house remain.
CORY. The name of the post office (1887-95) at the village of .Janetown (see below).
CRESSWELL. A post office from 1869 to 1900 on the north line of section 8, Liberty Township.
DIVIDE. A post office from 1864 to 1866 in section 22, Warren Township.
ELIZABETHTOWN. Laid out as a town in 1845 in section 15, Steady Run Township, but was short-lived.
EDOM. This is called Eden on most maps. It was a post office from 1863 to 1866, in the northeast corner of section 30, Liberty Township.
FREEDOM. Listed as a post office in Keokuk County from 1849 to 1852, but the location not found.
FRENCHTOWN. Another name often given the town of Baxter, which See above. GARIBALDI. A town laid out in 1858 in the northeastern part of the south
section 15, German Township Post office, 1861-81.
HUSTONS. In section 10, Lafayette Township, as shown on maps of 1857.
IOKA. A town along the line between sections 28 and 33, Jackson Township, laid out in 1856. Post office 1858-1902.
JANETOWN. A town in the southeastern part of section 33, Prairie Township, laid out in about 1885. Largely populated by coal miners' families.
KEENSBURG. Laid out as a town in section 4, Van Buren Township, in pioneer times, but never developed.
LAFAYETTE. The name first given, but only for a short time, to the town of Lancaster, which see below.
LANCASTER. A town in the northeast portion of the east section 30, Lancaster Township, about six miles southeast of Sigourney. It was laid out in 1846 and in 1847 it became the county seat, retaining it until 1856, during which time it became a town of importance. It now has only a country store and a few scattered residences. Its post office ran from 1849 to 1904.
MANHATTAN. A post office from 1866 to 1900, in the southeastern part of the east section 3, Lancaster Township, on the north side of South Skunk River.
MILAN. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Keokuk County from 1897 to 1902, but not found on maps of that period.
MUSCATINE. A thriving coal mining town in the 1880's on both sides of the northern part of the line between sections 4 and 5, Washington Township.
NASSAU. The name first given to the present town of Gibson from its founding in 1880 until the name was changed in 1901. Post office, 1882-1903.
NEWTON. Another name for Western City, which see below.
OLEAN. A post office from 1854 to 1858, near the center of Jackson Township.
ORVILLE. The name by which was known that portion of What Cheer in the northwest part of section 10, Washington Township, during the coal mining period
of the city.
PECK’S. A post office from 1860 to 1863, in section 25, Prairie Township.
PETERSBURG. A town laid out in 1865 and later included in the southeastern portion of the present town of What Cheer.
PLEASANT GROVE. Listed as a post office in Keokuk County from 1849 to 1850, but the location not Found.
PLEASANT HILL. In the northeastern part of section 6, Richland Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869.
ROSETTA. A village in section 4, Washington Township, populated principally by coal miners from 1885 to 1890.
SHOWMAN. A post office from 1886 to 1896, in section 12, Benton Township.
SLAGLE. A post office from 1875 to 1886, in the northern part of Benton Township.
SPRINGFIELD. A town in the southwest corner of section 28, and the northwest corner of section 33, Washington Township. It was laid out in 1845 and was
an active town until the 1870’s. Its post office was from 1846 to 1893.
STEADY RUN. A post office from 1850 to 1857, in the northwest corner of section 13, Steady Run Township.
TALLYRAND. A town at the intersections of sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, Clear Creek Township. Laid out in 1857 and a busy town for many years.
Its post office, 1858-1927.
VULCAN. A village in the north edge of section 4, Washington Township. It was a coal mining village existing only a few years around 1890.
WALDEN. A post office from 1873 to 1888, near the center of section 18, Jackson Township.
WEST LONDON. Laid out as a town in 1847, in section 18, Benton Township, but never developed.
WHITE PIGEON. Laid out as a town in 1855 in the south part of section 6, midway as to cast and west, and the north part of section 7, English River Township. Never more than a hamlet. Post office, 18581902.
WARNER'S MILL. A post office in 1854 to 1855 in the southern part of section 30, Clear Creek Township.
WAUGH'S POINT. In section 30, Steady Run Township, as shown on maps of 1855 and 1856.
WESTERN CITY. The original government survey of Richland Township was made in 1843 and the notes say, "A place on west half of section 17 called Western City was laid off for a town, but contains only two or three houses." It was about four miles northwest of Richland and plans were to make it the county seat.
WIMER’S MILLS. A post office from 1854 to 1862, in section 3, Jackson Township, on the South Skunk River.
Keokuk County was named after a
Sac Indian Chief.
Established December 21, 1837
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|