AMBROSIA. A post office from 1840 to 1857 in the southwestern part of Montrose Township.
ATLEE. The name of a railroad station in section 12, West Point Township, the name later being changed to Edwards.
BENBOW. A station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q.) Railroad in section 7, Washington Township.
BIG MOUND. A hamlet at the common corner of sections 19, 20, 29 and 30, Cedar Township. Post office 1852-1903.
CAMARGO. The name of the post office of Vincennes from 1852 to 1858 at the village and railway station of Sand Prairie.
CAMACKVILLE. A post office in the southwestern part of section 12, Cedar Township, from 1869 to 1875 when it was changed to White Lane, but was discontinued in 1876.
CLAY'S GROVE. A post office from 1857 to 1863, and again from 1868 to 1892 in the southeastern part of section 29, Marion Township.
COURTWRIGHT. The name of the post office for a few months in 1881 at the present railroad station of Hamill.
DOANTOWN. Another name for Russelville, which see below.
DOVER. (See Tuscarora below).
EDWARDS. (See Atlee above).
FRANKLIN. A village in the northeastern part of section 26 and southeastern part of section 23, Franklin Township. It was laid out in 1840, and was intended for
the county seat. Its post office, Franklin Center, was from 1843 to 1883 when it was changed to Franklin, and ran until 1920.
FRANKLIN CENTER. (See Franklin above).
GREEN BAY. A post office in the southeastern part of section 9, Green Bay Township. It ran for a few months in 1851, and again from 1854 to 1859.
HAZEN. A station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q.) Railroad, in section 17, Washington Township.
JEFFERSONVILLE. A village in the northwestern part of section 16, Jefferson Township, on the C., B. & Q. H. H. It was laid out in 1867, but failed to build up owing to its nearness to Viele; The post office, established before the village was platted, ran from 1856 with the exception of two short intermissions, until 1876.
JOLLYVILLE. A village laid out in 1856 in the central part of section 7, Green Bay Township. Post office 1859-73.
MADISON. Lieut. Albert M. Lea in his Notes on Wisconsin Territory, 1836, and also on his map, gives the name Madison to what very soon after that date became Fort Madison.
MEIROTTO. A village and station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q) Railroad, in section 25, Marion Township.
MELROSE. A station on the old Des Moines Valley Railroad in section 1, Des Moines Township. The road having been relocated the station was taken over by Connables.
NASHVILLE. The former name of the present village and railroad station of Galland. Nashville was laid out in 1841. It had a post office a part of the year 1843
when it was discontinued.
OVERTON. The former name of the present railroad station and post office of Pilot Grove.
PRAIRIE HOUSE. The name of the post office at the present village and railroad station of Charleston from 1843 to 1850, when it was changed to Charleston.
RUSSELLVILLE. Laid out in 1858 as a town in the northeast corner of section 15, Cedar Township. Also called Doantown.
SOUTH AUGUSTA. A village on the south side of the Des Moines River opposite the town of Augusta. It was surveyed in 1842 but no permanent town developed.
SOUTH FRANKLIN. The former name of the present railroad station of Franklin, in the southern part of section 35, Franklin Township.
STRING PRAIRIE. A post office indicated on maps of 1854 in section 15, Des Moines Township.
TUSCARORA. A hamlet in the southeast corner of section 8, Franklin Township. Its post office was established in 1840, but in 1853 the name Was changed to Dover.
VAN BUREN. The name first given to the post office established at Warren, now a railroad station in section 36, Harrison Township. This was from January to December, 1849.
WHITE LANE. The name of a post office formerly called Camackville, which see above. It was located at White's Iowa Institute of Manual Labor, section 14,
YEARGERVILLE. A former station on the old Keokuk & Northwestern Railroad in Charleston Township.
ZARAHEMLA. The name of the plat of a projected pioneer town somewhere in Lee County. (See Acts of the Fourth Legislative Assembly, page 90.)
Lee County was so named after a
New York Land Company.
It owned a large interest in the tract that was made up of half-breeds.
Information about early (1830)
Established in 1836
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|