Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

LAFAYETTE. A post office in section 28, Otter Creek Township, from 1846 to 1902.


LAFAYETTE. In the northern part of section 2, Lafayette Township, on the Mississippi River about a mile above Chantry. It had a boat landing, sawmill and stores.

Allamakee


LAFAYETTE. The former name of the present town of Albion. Lafayette was platted in 1852 and name changed to Albion in 1858. The post office was Albion from the start. Marshall


LAFAYETTE. The name of the southern portion of Hillsboro. It was laid out in 1856, but now is included within the limits of the town of

Columbus Junction. Louisa


LAFAYETTE. The name first given, but only for a short time, to the town of Lancaster (see below). Keokuk


LA HARPE. Listed on the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clarke County in 1877 and 1878, but not found on maps of that period. Clarke


LA HOYT. Name of the post office (1881-1903) at the former C., B. & Q. railroad station of Ketcham between Mount Pleasant and Rome. Henry


LA VEGA. In the central part of Washington Township. Post office, 1859-75. Des Moines


LA YUBA. In the southeastern part of Etna Township near the site of the present village of Cleves. Post office, 1859-63. Hardin


LACEY. A post office (1860-71) in the eastern part of Pike Township. Muscatine


LACKAWANA. Coal mining town laid out in 1876 on the east bank of the Des Moines River opposite where now stands the town of Lehigh. Webster


LACONIA. In the central part of Erin Township, as shown on maps of 1863 to 1878. Hancock


LACTIN. In eastern part of Sugar Creek Township. Post office, 1853-57. later developed. Laid out 1837 and an aspirant for the county seat. Cedar


LA GRANGE. A town in the southeastern part of section 25 and the northeastern part of 36, Cedar Township. It was laid out in 1852, was on the main line of the Western Stage Company and was a prosperous town until the railroad came through a mile to the south in 1866. Post office, 1855-82. A few scattered dwellings still remain. Lucas


LA GRANGE. A post office in the southwestern part of Wayne Township from 1851 to 1882. Site was changed to Lucas County In 1855. Monroe


LAHART. A coal mining town in the southern part of Union Township, shown on maps about 1910. Monroe


LAKE. A post office (1860-65) in the northeastern part of Marion Township. Washington


LAKE CENTER. In the central part of Clear Lake Township. Post office, 1881. Hamilton


LAKE PRAIRIE. Post office (1845-47) in southern part of Lake Prairie Township, in the vicinity of the village of Amsterdam of the same date. Marion


LAKE VIEW A post office (1872-83) in the western part of secion 21, Silver Lake Township. Palo Alto


LAKEVILLE. A hamlet, business center and post office in the southwestern part of Lakeville Township. The hamlet was in existence from about 1870 to 1890. Dickinson


LAKEPORT. A post office from 1857 to 1858 and from 1889 to 1902 in section 21, Lake Pork Township. Woodbury


LAKESIDE. In the eastern part of Emmet Township. Post office, 1881-93. Emmet


LANCASTER. The name first given to the present village of Trenton when it was laid out in 1836, but which it kept only a year when it was changed to Trenton. Henry


LANCASTER. A town in the northeast portion of the east section 30, Lancaster Township, about six miles southeast of Sigourney. It was laid out in 1846 and in 1847 it became the county seat, retaining it until 1856, during which time it became a town of importance. It now has only a country store and a few scattered residences. Its post office ran from 1849 to 1904. Keokuk


LANDIS. A post office (1899-1902) in the southwest quarter of section 11, Polk Township. Taylor


LANEVILLE. In southeastern part of section 29, Bellair Township. A coal mining town. Appanoose


LANFITT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Dallas County, but not found on maps of that period.Dallas


LANSRUD. A hamlet and post office (1899-1902) in section 21, Silver Lake Township. Worth


LAPORTE. In section 2, Madison Township. Post office, 1855-69. Clarke


LAREDO. A post office (1857-65) in the eastern part of Black Oak Township. Mahaska


LARK. A post office from 1884 to 1887 and again from 1889 to 1903 in the northern part of section 8, Fertile Township. Worth


LARK. In Taylor Township. Post office, 1881-89. Allamakee


LARKIN'S GROVE. In the northwestern part of section 24, Lyon Township. Post office, 1859-75. Hamilton


LARLAND. In eastern part of Melville Township. Post: office, 1893-1900. Audubon


LAST CHANCE. A post office from 1865 to 1888 in the western part of Union Township. Lucas


LATHAM. A place slightly northeast from the center of Deer Creek Township and on the west side of the Des Moines River, as shown on maps of 1878. Post office, 1875 to 1879. Webster


LATIMER. A post office (1861-64) in the western part of Jackson Township. Warren


LATTIMER'S GROVE. A stage station and settlement made in 1848 near the southwest corner of Grinnell township and about four miles southwest of the present city of Grinnell. The name was changed to Westfield about 1855. The place had a post office a few years. Poweshiek


LAURA CENTER. A post office (1863-65) on the road between Wapello and Columbus City, not far from the present railroad staion of Bard. Louisa


LAVEGA. Laid out as a town in 1855 in the northwestern part of section 15, Grand River Township, adjacent to where the present town of Macksburg was later built. Lavega never materialized further than the platting. Madison


LAWERNCE. A post office in 1871 in the extreme northeast corner of Fisher Township. Freemont


LAWRENCE. The name by which the present railroad station of White Cloud was known for some time in the 1880‘s. Mills


LAWRENCEBURG. A village located about midway of the north Jine of section 7, Virginia Township. Post office 1857-79. Warren


LE CLAIRE CENTER. A post office from 1855 to 1856 in Le Claire Township. Scott


LEADVILLE. Post office in the southern part of Valley Township, established in 1879. Discontinued when the village of Montieth was started. Guthrie


LEAR. In section 9, Beaver Township. Post office, 1900-03. Grundy


LEARNED. A post office (1879-82) in section 36, Grant Township. Pocohantas


LEATH CITY. In sections 20 and 21, Union Township. Plat filed in 1902. Adair


LEBANON. In section 5, Lincoln Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Appanoose


LEE. A post office (1881-85) in the northeastern part of Lincoln Township. Union


LEE. A post office (1898-1908) in section 20, Riley Township. Ringgold


LEERDAM. Laid out as a town in 1858 in the northeast quarter of the north section 23, Lake Prairie Township, on the south side of South Skunk River, four miles north of Pella. Never built up. Marion


LEETOWN. A coal mining town near Brazil. Appanoose


LEFEVER. A post office from 1892 to 1894 in the southwestern part of section 31, Grand River Township. Madison


LELANDSBURGH. The name of the present village of Leland for a time. The post office was also Lelandsburgh from 1881 to 1885. On the founding of the place in 1880 it was called Benson Grove Station, but the name was soon changed to Lelandsburgh, and finally to Leland. Winnebago


LEMONT. In the southwestern part of section 31, Grove Township. as shown on maps of 1875-80. It never Adair


LEO. A village laid out in 1856 in the northeastern part of section 9 and the northwestern part of section 10, Burr Oak Township. The name of the post office was Cardiff.  MitchellLEO. In the northern part of Illyria Township. Post office, 1855-69. Fayette


LEONA. Listed in the 1857 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Johnson County, but not found on maps of that period. Johnson


LEONA. Near the central part of section 2, Wells Township. Platted in 1858, but never built up. Appanoose


LEONARD. A post office (1883-1903) in the southwest corner of section 11, Holt Township. Taylor


LEONI. Listed in U.S. Official Register as a post office in Butler County from 1855 to 1861, but not found on the maps. Butler


LEOTA. A village platted in 1900 in section 10, Viola Township. Post office, 1890 to 1900, except one brief intermission. Sac








EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page 1 of  3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  3

1

2

3

Page

1

2

3

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - L