ARGO. A post office in the northern part of Union Township from 1853 to 1875.


BELINDA. A hamlet and post office in the western part of Pleasant Township from 1858 to 1908. A few scattered residences still remain.


BUCYRUS. A post office from 1871 to 1880 in the southern part of English Township.


CEDAR GROVE. A post office from 1854 to 1868 in the central part of Cedar Township.


CLEVELAND. A coal mining town in the 1880's in section 18, White Breast Township, about two miles cast of the town of Lucas. A few scattered houses

still remain.


EARLE. A post office (1869-72) and railroad station in Union Township, about two miles southwest of Derby.


FREEDOM. A village in the southeastern part of section 25, Warren Township, on Wolf Creek, laid out in 1856, Post office, 1855-76.


FREELAND. A post office from l854 to l865, shown on the maps first in the northwestern part of Warren Township, and later in the southern part of White

Breast Township.


GREENVILLE. A Post office from 1853 to 1864 in the eastern part of Washington Township.


GRUNWALD. The name of the post office from 1915 to 1923 at the present town of Williamson.


HENDERSON. A post office from 1866 to 1872 in section 20, Warren Township.


IRISH GROVE. Listed in the 1852-53 U. S. Official Rigester as a post office in Lucas County, but not found on maps of that period.


LA GRANGE. A town in the southeastern part of section 25 and the northeastern part of 36, Cedar Township. It was laid out in 1852, was on the main line of

the Western Stage Company and was a prosperous town until the railroad came through a mile to the south in 1866. Post office, 1855-82. A few scattered

dwellings still remain.


LAST CHANCE. A post office from 1865 to 1888 in the western part of Union Township.


LINN. A post office in the early 1850's at or near the later town of La Grange.


MACEVILLE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1859-61 as a post office in Lucas County, but not found on maps of that period.


MANSFIELD. A hamlet or place shown on maps of 1868 and 1869 in the northern part of White Breast Township.


MILAN. A post office in the southern part of Benton Township from 1870 to 1881.


OLA. A post office from 1867 to 1902 in section 10, Cedar Township.


OLMITZ. A coal mining town in section 28, Pleasant Township, Post office, 1888-1905. Reestablished 07/11/1916 and discontinued again 11/30/1928.


POLK. The name first given the newly established county seat of Lucas County, but soon changed to Chariton.


TALLAHOMA. A post office in the northern part of Jackson Township from 1853 to 1875.


TIME. A post office from 1859 to 1863 in the central part of Washington Township.


TIPPERARY. A coal mining town in Lincoln Township a few miles northeast of Chariton. It had a post office from 1916 to 1924. A few scattered

houses still remain.


TROY. A village on the C., B. & Q. Railroad in section 18, White Breast Township, about two miles east of Lucas, as appears on maps of the early 1900's.


WARREN CENTER. A post office in 1872 to 1874 near the center of Warren Township.


WEST ALEXANDER. A post office in 1864 to 1865 in section 30, Cedar Township.


WHITE BREAST. A post office from 1869 to 1879 in the southwest part of section 14 Liberty Township, on White Breast Creek.


WHITE BREAST. A coal mining town in the 1880's and 1890's in the western part of section 14, White Breast Township, a short distance west of Indianola

Junction on the C., B. & Q. Railroad.


ZERO. A post office from 1874 to 1901 in the northeastern part of Washington Township.

Lucas County was named after

Robert Lucas.

He was the first govenor

of the Iowa Territory.




Established January 13, 1846


Lucas County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns