AMAZON. The name of the post office from 1850 to 1851 at the village of Richmond, which see below.
BELL'S RIDGE. A post office from 1851 to 1854 in the northwestern part of section 1, South Township.
BLOOMINGDALE. A post office in 1857 and 1858 in section 135, Jefferson Township.
BROOKLYN. A town in the southwest quarter of section 14, Walnut Township, laid out in 1855, and prosperous in the late 1850's.
Post office, 1857-60.
BUFFALO. A hamlet on the southeast side of Middle River about one and one-half miles south of Winterset. Its mill was its main enterprise.
It flourished from the 1850's to the 1880’s.
CHARLOTTSVILLE. A post office from 1858 to 1861 in section 24, Jackson Township.
CLANTON. A post office from 1859 to 1894 located in various farm houses in Monroe Township, in 1875
being on the north line of section 1.
EGO. Former name of the town of Truro. The post office was Ego from 1881 to 1884.
ELLSWORTH. A post office from 1861 to 1873 near the center of section 21, Crawford Township.
FAIRVIEW. Laid out in 1850 as a town in the northeast part of section 21, South Township, one-fourth mile northeast of the present town of Saint Charles,
but never built up.
FOSTER. A post office from 1879 to 1882 first in Walnut and later in Scott Township.
GEAR. A post office from 1879 to 1903 located in two or more places in Monroe Township, part of the time being in section 24.
GILPIN. A post office from 1885 to 1888 in section 1, Union Township.
GRAND VIEW, Laid out as a town in 1855 in section 22, Monroe Township. It never had but two small buildings, and soon was abandoned two years later,
or in 1857, another town named Grand View was laid out in the north part of section 27, Lee Township. It was ambitiously planned, but died before
HARRISON. A post office from 1900 to 1905 near the center of Webster Township.
HEATON. A post office from 1858 to 1861 in section 33, Lee Township.
INDEPENDENCE. The name for a short time in 1849 of the post office at the location that soon became Winterset.
KASSON. A post office from 1861 to 1905 in the southwestern part of Monroe Township.
LAVEGA. Laid out as a town in 1855 in the northwestern part of section 15, Grand River Township, adjacent to where the present town of Macksburg was
later built. Lavega never materialized further than the platting.
LEFEVER. A post office from 1892 to 1894 in the southwestern part of section 31, Grand River Township.
McBRIDE. A post office in the southern part of Jefferson Township from 1889 to 1901.
McPHERSON. A post office from 1876 to 1900 in the northwestern part of Monroe Township.
MAPLE GROVE. A post office in the southern part of Jackson Township from 1874 to 1889, and the northern part of Webster Township from 1889 to 1903.
MIDDLE RIVER. The name of the post office from 1855 to 1903 at the town of Webster, which see below.
MONTPELIER. The name of the first post office in the county, 1848 to 1819, in section 26, Union Township, at Tileville (see below). It was moved in 1849
to the center of the county where Winterset now is, and the name changed to Independence (see above).
NARROWS. (See Tileville below).
NORTH. A post office from 1861 to 1869 in the northern part of section 32, Madison Township, at or near the hamlet of Worthington (see below).
NORTH BRANCH. A post office from 1853 to 1860 in section 26, Madison Township.
NORTH RIVER. A post office in the western part of section 5, Jackson Township, from 1872 to 1876.
OHIO. A post office from 1862 to 1889 in the eastern part of Walnut Township.
ORD. A post office from 1888 to 1905 in section 34, Lincoln Township.
PERU. Peru, now called Old Peru, was laid out in 1855 near the center of section 3, Walnut Township, about one mile northwest of the present town of Peru.
It was prosperous until the coming of the nearby railroad. Post office 1853-1903.
PITZER. A post office from 1889 to 1906 in the central part of Jackson Township.
PLEASANT VIEW. A post office from 1870 to 1876 in the eastern part of Webster Township.
PRICE. A post office for a brief time in 1876 in section 34, Lincoln Township.
QUEEN'S POINT. A post office from 1854 to 1867 in the western part of South Township.
REED. A post office in 1881 and 1882 in the northeastern part of section 21, Ohio Township.
RICHMOND. Laid out as a town in 1849 in the southern part of section 12, Scott Township. Its only building was a store. Its post office was named Amazon
TILEVILLE. Sometimes called Narrows. A hamlet in the late 1840's where, or near where, was the post office of Montpelier, which see above. Tileville was
also the name of a railroad station about four miles east of Winterset, which was near where the original hamlet of Tileville stood.
VENUS. A post office from 1863 to 1873 near the center of Grand River Township.
WEBSTER. Laid out as a town in 1855 along tile central part of the north line of section 6, Webster Township. It never became much more than a hamlet. Its post office was Middle River.
WELLS. A post office from 1871 to 1896 in section 6, Grand River Township.
WORTHINGTON. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the eastern part of section 32, Madison Township. It was only a hamlet, a store and a few dwellings.
Its post office was North, which see above.
Madison County was named after
He was the 4th President
of the United States.
Established January 13, 1846
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|