AMERICAN CITY. Laid out as a town in 1848 in Summit Township a short distance northwest of the present village of Otley, but never developed.


AMSTERDAM. Laid out in 1848 on the location now occupied by the present Wabash Railway station of Howell. Amsterdam had big plans for a short time.


BARKERSVILLE. The original name of the present village of Attica. Barkersville was the name of the post office from 1849 to 1853.


BENNINGTON. Platted as a town in 1848 on the north side of the Des Moines River about one and one-half miles west of the present railroad station of Percy.


BETHEL CITY. A post office in the southern part of Clay Township about two miles west of the present town of Tracy. The name was Bethel City from 1875 to 1883, and was Bethel until it was discontinued in 1884.


CALOMA. A hamlet in the southeast corner of section 19, Franklin Township. Post office, 1858-1907.


CLOUD. A hamlet in section 35, Dallas Township. Post office, 1888 1906.


COOPER SPRINGS. A post office from 1872 to 1875 in the southwestern part of Indiana Township.


DELPHI. Platted in an early day in the northern part of Swan Township near the Des Moines River, directly south of the present village of Percy.

It was never built up.


DIXONVILLE. Laid out in 1856 two miles north of the present town of Hamilton. It never had more than a store building and was soon abandoned.


DIVIDE. A post office for a few months in 1851 a short distance southeast of the center of Summit Township, as shown on maps of that period.


DURHAM'S. A post office from 1848 to 1850 in the north section 32 of Clay Township on the Des Moines River.


ELM GROVE. A post office (1846-53) in the eastern part of Liberty Township. The first post office in the county.


ELY. The name of the post office of the present village of Marysville from 1853 to 1869.


ENGLISH SETTLEMENT. A post office (1850-78) in the northern part of section 18, Clay Township.


EVERIST. A coal mining village in section 17, Liberty Township. Post office, 1905-14.


FAIRMOUNT. A post office from 1874 to 1875 in section 25, township 75, range 20, about three miles south of Knoxville.


FLAGLER. Laid out in 1877 in the southwest quarter of the east section 2, Knoxville Township. It was a coal mining town. Post office 1876-1914.


GOSPORT. Laid out in 1853 as New Town, but name changed a few years later to Gosport. It was in the center of Washington Township, and for some years

was a busy village. Post office, 1854-1905.


HAMAKER'S. A post office in the southern part of section 2, Liberty Township, as appears on maps of 1868 and 1869.


HARRISONVILLE. Laid out in 1854 in the southeast quarter of the north section 32, Clay Township, about one mile north of the present village of Durham,

but never built up.


IOLA. A hamlet in the southeastern part of the north section 31, Clay Township. Post office, 1854-81.


INDIANA. In the eastern part of Indiana Township, two miles south of the present village of Attica, as shown on maps of 1900.


LAKE PRAIRIE. A post office (1845-47) in the southern part of Lake Prairie Township, in the vicinity of the village of Amsterdam of the same date.


LEERDAM. Laid out as a town in 1858 in the northeast quarter of the north section 23, Lake Prairie Township, on the south side of South Skunk River,

four miles north of Pella. Never built up.


LUCAS GROVE. A hamlet in the northwestern part of section 21, Union Township, about three miles north of the present railroad station of Donley.

Post office, 1874-82.


MENNON. A post office (1856-67) at or near the present town of Swan.


MERRILL. The name of the present village of Durham when it was first laid out in 1875.


MORGAN VALLEY. A hamlet in the northwestern part of section 9, Perry Township, on the south side of the Des Moines River.

Post office 1891-1903.


NEWARK. A post office (1857-68) occupying two or more locations in the northern part of Summit Township, part of the time being about two miles

northwest of the present village of Otley.


NEW CASTLE. Some maps show it as Newark Castle, about two miles southeast of Otley, as shown on maps from 1856 to 1869.


NEW CHICAGO. A hamlet established in 1867 in the northwestern part of section 17, Dallas Township.


NEW TOWN. The name first given the town of Gosport, which see above.


OAK. A post office (1871-75) in the northeast corner of section 18, Red Rock Township.


OHIO. The ·name first given the present village of Dallas.


ORADELL. A hamlet in steam boating days on what is now the "Old Bed" of the Des Moines River, in section 31, Union Township.


PARAN CITY. A post office (1848-52) in the northwestern part of Union Township, at or near the location of Oradell (see above).


PERRYVILLE. A town laid out in 1848 in the northern part of section 9, Perry Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River a short distance east

of where the village of Morgan Valley was located later. It had but a brief existence.


PINCHEY. Local name of the hamlet of Oradell. (see above)


POPLAR GROVE. Listed as a post office in Marion County from 1856 to 1857, but not located on the maps.


RED CEDAR MILLS. A post office from 1853 to 1856 in the central part of Liberty Township.


REEDVILLE. Laid out as a town in 1855 in section 8, Red Rock Township, near Prairie Creek. Never grew much and soon vacated.


ROUSSEAU. Laid out in 1850 in the western part of section 9, Polk Township, on the south side of the Des Moines River. Prosperous for a few years.

Post office, 1873-1903.


STAR. A post office (1867-1902) in the southwestern part of section 14, Franklin Township.


WESTON. Platted as a town in 1856 in the northern part of section 35, Pleasant Grove Township, but never built up.


WHEELING. Laid out in 1851 in the northern part of section 5, Pleasant Grove Township, two and one-half miles north of Pleasantville. Post office, 1852-84.

Marion County was named after

Francis Marion.

Who was an American Commander in the Revolutionary War.




Established June 10, 1845

Marion County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns