BENTON. A post office from 1863 to 1881 on the north line of the west section 25, Anderson Township.
BETHLEHEM. The name first given to the village of East Plattsmouth, which see below.
BOXELDER. A post office (1890-1901) in the northwestern part of Anderson Township.
CERRO GORDO. A post office (1853-63) on the Missouri River in Saint Mary Township a short distance below the mouth of Mosquito Creek.
COONVILLE. The pioneer name of the present city of Glenwood, from its beginning in 1848 until 1853.
EAST PLATTSMOUTH. A village on the banks of the Missouri River, in section 26, Plattville Township, opposite Plattsmouth, Nebraska. The first name given
this place was Bethlehem, in 1846. The river is said to have washed away that town site. A little farther back from the river was built Sharpsburg, which was
later called Junction City, and finally East Plattsmouth.
EGYPT. A pioneer village near the southwest corner of Mills County, about two miles from the Fremont County line.
FAYETTE. The name of a post office (1856-60) located a short distance southeast of the present railroad station of Balfour. The name was changed to
HENTON. The former name of the present railroad station and village of Folsom.
HENTONVILLE. The name of the post office (1879-86) at Henton, which see above.
HILLDALE. A former railroad station and village four miles east and two miles south of Glenwood. It still contains a few houses.
INDIAN CREEK. A post office from 1854 to 1859 in the eastern part of Indian Creek Township, a short distance northeast of the present village of Emerson.
INGRAHAM. A post office in Mills County from 1854 to 1859, but location not found.
JEWELL. A post office from 1874 to 1877 six miles east and one mile north of Glenwood.
JUNCTION CITY. The name of the post office from 1870 to 1872 and of the village which later became East Plattsmouth (see above).
LAWRENCE. The name by which the present railroad station of White Cloud was known for some time in the 1880‘s.
LEWIS CITY. A former name of the present village of Mineola, as appears on maps of 1881.
LOUDEN. A village for a few years in the period before the Civil War one-half mile north of where later stood the village of Hillsdale (see above).
MILTON STATION. The early name by which the present town of Malvern was known.
MOUNT OLIVE. A post office from 1860 to 1867 a short distance southeast of the present railroad station of Balfour.
PACIFIC CITY. A post office from 1857 to 1903 and a town about two miles north of the present railroad station of Pacific Junction.
It still contains a few houses.
PLATTVILLE. A town shown on maps from 1854 to the late 1860's a short distance south of East Portsmouth (see above).
POTTER. The former name of the present village of Henderson.
RUSHVILLE. A village of brief existence in the late 1840's on Keg Creek and the Missouri River bottom, likely in the western part of Lyons Township.
SAINT MARY's. A town, the site of which is washed away, near the southwest corner of Saint Mary Township, as shown on maps of the 1850's.
SHARPSBURG. The name of the village and the post office from 1860 to 1868 which later was East
PLATTSMOUTH, which see above.
TRADER'S POINT. A hamlet and ferry on the Missouri River near the northwest corner of Saint Mary Township, and near the Pottawattamie County line,
the site of which is washed away. (See Pottawattamie County list.) In the 1870's there was for a few years a railroad station by the same name near the north
edge of Saint Mary Township.
TURNER. A post office from 1874 to 1879 in the central part of Deer Creek Township.
WAHAGHBONSY. A hamlet and post office (1852-72) in section 18, Rawles Township, on Wahbonsie Creek. Later for a few years there was a railroad station
by the name of Wahbonsie in the southern part of section 33, Lyons Township, near the Fremont County line.
WALNUT GROVE. A post office in Mills County from 1854 to 1857, but location not found.
WARD. The name by which the present town of Silver City was known for a time in the 1870's.
WHITE CLOUD. A village and post office (1856-90) in the Northwestern part of section 2, White Cloud Township, about one mile northwest of the present
railroad station of that name.
Mills County was named after
He held the rank of Major
in the Mexican War.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|