BAILEY The Village of Bailey was in Wayne Township and platted November 20, 1886. Post office established March 10, 1887 and discontinued January of 1940. Incorporated as a town in 1901.
BROWNVILLE was a village founded about 1852 in the northeast corner of Bur Oak Township. It was platted in 1857 and had a hotel, postoffice, general stores, blacksmith and machine repair shop. Post office, opened 10/12/1861 and discontinued 05/16/1914
BUCKNAM A station known as Bucknam or “Bucktown” was established on the Great Western railway by C.E. Bucknam, shortly after the railroad was built in
1894. The location was in the SE ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 6 and just south of the school house. A railway siding was installed and a grain elevator built. The
primary purpose of the station was to provide a country elevator market for grain produced in the area. In later years it was discontinued.
BURR OAK. A name applied to the village of Leo in the later years of its existence. See Leo below.
BUSH’S MILL / LIGHT PLANT Location: NW corner of the intersection of Highway 9 and the River Road. East side of the Cedar River and North of the
present day Highway 9 Bridge.
CARDIFF. A post office (1855-1904) at the village of Leo, which see below.
CORA. The first name (1855-56) of the present city of Osage. The name of the post office was Cora from 1854 to 1857.
DAVID The village of David was located on the Chicago Great Western Railroad line between Little Cedar and McIntire, IA. In 1892 David E. McLaughlin
donated the right- of-way across his farm; he also gave land for a depot, stockyards, etc. As a compliment to McLaughlin the company (E.S. Fonda and Mrs. Simpson) named the station David. A post office was established that same year and David McLaughlin was named Postmaster.
DIXIE. The small town of Dixie, and it was one of the smallest in the county, was started in 1893 by H.G. Thrams. A post office from 1894 to 1900 or so, in
section 29, Rock Township. The town Dixie disappeard about 1915.
DORAN. A post office (1857-1904, in section 34 Jenkins Township.
DRAMEN. A post office from 1877 to 1880 in the southern part of the west section 1 on the northern part of the west section 12, Cedar Township.
DUREAU. A post office from 1856 to 1858 in section 21, Wayne Township. The name was then changed to Wentworth, which see below.
DUDLEY In 1857 the town of Dudley in East Cedar Township was platted and the plat recorded. The location was in the NE ¼ of Section 17 East Cedar
Township. A post office was established in the home of Eli Hutchinson. The town of Dudley never materialized.
FULLER. A post office (1892-1904,) in section 25, Mitchell Township.
JENKINS CENTER. A hamlet in the geographical center of Jenkins Township. Its post office was North Bend.
LEO. A village laid out in 1856 in the northeastern part of section 9 and the northwestern part of section 10, Burr Oak Township. The name of the post office
LINCOLN CENTER. A post office from 1866 to 1867 in the central part of Lincoln Township.
NELSON. A post office (1856-68) in section 15, Douglas Township.
NEWBURG. A village laid out in 1855 in the southwestern part of section 14, Newburg Township, on the west side of the Cedar River and about one mile
northwest of the present town of St. Ansgar. A busy town in its day. Post office, 1857-72.
NORTH BEND. A post office (1857-62) at Jenkins Center, which see above.
OLD OTRANTO. See Otranto below.
ORRVILLE. The name of the post office from 1855 to 1857 at the town of Otranto, which see below.
OTRANTO. A town laid out in 1856 in the northeastern part of section 7 and northwestern part of section 8, Otranto Township, on the west bank of Cedar River,
and some three miles northwest of the present Otranto Station. A prosperous town for some years. Post office, 1857-99. Called Old Otranto in its later years.
ROCK CREEK. A post office in 1868 to 1900 in the central part of Rock Township.
STILLWATER. A post office (1871-99) in the east section 8, Lincoln Township.
WAPSIE. A post office from 1883 to 1887 in the central part of Wayne Township.
WENTWORTH. A post office (1858-93) in section 36, Wayne Township. It was the successor of Dureau (see above).
Mitchell County was named after
He was an Irish Refugee
who came to this country in 1848.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|