Established January 15, 1851
Established 1851 (Organized in 1854) from Pottawattomie County & Unorganized Land. Monona County was named after an Indian Girl. She believed that her white lover was killed by her people, so she jumped into the Mississippi from a high rock over looking the river.
ALBATON. A hamlet in section 9, Fairview Township. Post office, 1877-1901.
ARCOLA. A post office in section 28, Kenebec Township. Post office, 1864-87.
ASHTON. A village in sections 28 and 29, Ashton Township. Established in 1854, and laid out in 1855. It was made the county seat in 1854 but lost to Onawa in 1858. Post office, 1855-58.
BADGER LAKE. A hamlet on the west side of the lake of the same name, Lossing (which see below) being the name of the post office.
BELVIDERE. A village jn section 14, Belvidere Township. Laid out in 1857 and active for a few years. It contested unsuccessfully for the county seat in 1861.
Post office, 1857-87.
BLOOMFIELD. The name given the village of Ashton (which see above) when it was first established, but which it retained but a short time.
BLUFF POINT. Former name of the present town of Turin.
BOTTON. A post office from 1866 to 1868 in Sherman Township.
CASTANA. A hamlet, now spoken of as Old Castana, existing from 1865 to about 1885, located about one mile west of the present town of Castana.
HALL CREEK. A post office from 1872 to 1874 in section 29, Spring Valley Township.
HIAWATHA. A post office from 1882 to 1885, and from 1892 to 1894. in Jordan Township.
LOSSING. The name of the post office at the hamlet of Badger Lake (see above) from 1884 to 1901.
MAPLETON. A village now spoken of as Old Mapleton, laid out in 1857, one mile west of the present town of Mapleton.
ONAWA CITY. The name originally applied to the present town of Onawa. Onawa City was the name of the post office from 1858 to 1883.
PREPARATION. A pioneer village in section 7, Spring Valley Township, about three miles north of the present village and railroad station of Preparation.
The old village had a post office from 1854 for a few years.
RANSOM. A place in section 19, Spring River Township, on the west side of Soldier River, as appears on maps of the early 1880's.
SAINT CLAIR. A post office in section 4, Soldier Township, from 1861 to 1884.
SAINT GEORGE. Laid out as a village in Maple Township in 1857. It only amounted to a hamlet, and that for a short time.
SPRING VALLEY. The name of the post office at Moorhead for a few years in the early 1880's as shownon maps of that period.
TIEVILLE. A post office from 1876 to 1878 on the bank of the Missouri River in the southwestern part of Lincoln Township, seven miles west and one mile
south of Onawa.
UTE. A post office from 1876 to 1887 in section 22, Saint Clair Township, about three miles northwest of the present town of Ute.
WEST FORK. A post office (1862-1873) in the eastern Lake Township.
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|