BLUFF CREEK. A post office in the northern part of Bluff Creek Township from 1859 to 1863, and again from 1886 to 1907.
BREMEN. The former name of the present town of Lovilia. Its post office was Bremen from 1855 to 1857.
BRIDGEPORT. A village near the center of section 1, Pleasant Township, about one mile southwest of the present town of Eddyville, Wapello County, as
shown on maps from 1868 to 1881.
BUXTON. A coal mining town in section 4, Bluff Creek Township. At one time, about 1910, it had somewhere near 6,000 inhabitants, 5,500 being Negroes.
The town was never incorporated.
CEDAR MINES. A coal mining town about three miles west of Albia. A busy place for a few years. Post office 1872-98.
CHISHOLM A coal mining town in the southern part of Pleasant Township. Post office, 1883-1909.
CLARK'S POINT. Another name for Clarksville, which see below.
CLARKSVILLE. An embryo town three miles west and one and one-half north of the present city of Albia. competed with Princeton (now Albia) for the county
seat in 1845. Clarksville had the first post office in the county, 1846 to 1847.
COALTOWN. A hamlet in the central part of section 24, Cedar Township. Post office, 1861-99.
CUBA. The name of the post office from 1854 to 1867 at Fairview, which see below.
EAST MELROSE. The early name of the present town of Melrose. The post office was East Melrose from 1863 to 1878.
ELBERT. A hamlet in the southeastern part of Guilford Township, as shown on maps of 1885 and later.
ELDORADO. Laid out in an early day as a village in section 2, Cedar Township. It only attained to a mere Hamlet.
FAIRVIEW. Laid out as a village in 1856. It's post office was Cuba, which see above. The name of the town was later changed to Cuba.
FRAKER. A coal mining town in the central part of Bluff Creek Township. It's post office was Fraker from 1907 to 1915. From 02/27/1854 the post office
was named Bluff Creek and changed to Fraker in 01/31/1907 and closed in 01/30/1915.
GEORGETOWN. A village in section 22, Guilford Township, Post office, 1852-1908.
GRAY'S CREEK. A post office in the southwestern part of Pleasant Township from 1851 to 1859.
HALFWAY PRAIRIE. A post office in the western part of Pleasant Township from 1849 to 1875.
HENN. Listed as a post office in Monroe County from July 16, 1856, to October 6, 1856, but its location not found.
HICKORY GROVE. The name of the post office from 1876 to 1883 at what is now the village and railroad station of Hickory.
HILTON. A coal mining town in the northeastern part of Monroe Township. Post office, 1880-1907.
HOLLIDAYSBURG. An embryo village in Urbana Township In pioneer times.
HUMMACONNA. A post office (1874-99) in the central part of section 22, Urbanna Township.
HYNES, A coal mining town three miles southeast of the present village of Avery. Post office, 1899-1916.
LA GRANGE. A post office in the southwestern part of Wayne Township from 1851 to 1882. Site was changed to Lucas County In 1855.
LAHART. A coal mining town in the southern part of Union Township, shown on maps about 1910.
LINDVILLE. Listed as a post office in Monroe County in 1850, but location not found.
MANTUA. A post office in the central part of Mantua Township from 1852 to 1854.
MIAMI. A coal mining town about 1910 southwest and near Buxton (see above).
MINERSTOWN, A village laid out in 1890 one-half mile west of the present village of Foster, but was never developed beyond a house or two.
OSPREY, A town laid out In 1858 in the southwestern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1855-71.
PLEASANT CORNERS. A village at the corner of sections 22, 23, 26 and 27, Pleasant Township, about on mile north of the present village of Fredric.
A prosperous place along in the 1870's.
PRINCETON, The name of the present city of Albia for a brief time. It was laid out and was made the county seat as Princeton in 1845.
SELECTION. A coal mining town and railroad station about five miles south of Albia. Post office 1881-1903.
SMITHFIELD. A pioneer town mentioned in Hickenloper's History of Monroe County, but the location not given.
THOMPSONVILLE. A post office in the northeastern part of Cedar Township from 1863 to 1869.
URBANA CITY. A village, prosperous for some years, in the southwestern part of Urbana Township. Post office 1868-75
WARD. A coal mining town about two miles southeast of the present town of Hiteman, as shown on maps
WELLER. A post office in section 21, Cedar Township, from 1856 to 1907.
WHITE. A coal mining town in the northeastern part of Bluff Creek Township, as shown on maps from 1873 to 1885.
WHITESBURG. A coal mining town in the northwestern part of Bluff Creek Township. Post office, 1914-19.
Monroe County was named after
He was the 5th President of the
Established February 17, 1843
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|