ARLINGTON. Laid out in 1857 in the southeastern part of section 29, Washington Township, but never built up.
BIDDICK. A post office from 1893 to 1902 in the southern part of Pilot Grove Township.
CARR'S POINT. A post office from 1865 to 1870 in section 4, West Township, on Walnut Creek.
CLIMAX. A hamlet and post office from 1874 to 1901 in the northern part of section 30, West Township, on Walnut Creek. A store and church still there.
COE'S GROVE. Listed as a post office in Montgomery County from 1858 to 1859, and again from 1868 to 1869, but location not found.
FLORA. Platted as a town in 1859 near the head of Red Oak Creek (evidently two or three miles northeast of Red Oak), but never developed.
FRANKFORT. A town in the southwestern part of section 17, Frankfort Township. It was made the county seat in 1854 and continued to be until 1865, during which time it was prosperous. Post office, 1856-78.
HOLMSTAD. The name by which the present town of Stanton was first known when it was established in 1870, but which it retained but a short time.
MILFORD. The former name of the present town of Grant for many years. Milford was platted in 1858. Grant was the name of the post office, and finally the town's name was changed to agree with that of the post office.
ORO. A post office from 1856 to 1858 two miles north of the present city of Red Oak.
RED OAK JUNCTION. The pioneer name of the present city of Red Oak from when it was laid out in 1858 to 1871. Red Oak Junction Was also the name of the post office from 1859 to 1869.
ROSS GROVE. A post office in section 25, Jackson Township, from 1855 to 1863.
ROSSVILLE. Laid out as a town in 1855 in section 12, Jackson Township, but never built up.
SHERMAN CENTER. A place shown on maps of 1878 a short way northwest from the center of Sherman Township.
TENVILLE. A post office from 1899 to 1901 in the southern part of Washington Township.
THE FORKS. The pioneer name applied to Villisca, because of its being near the forks of the Middle and West Nodaway rivers.
WALLACE. A post office (1875-78) in the southern part of Douglas Township.
WILSON. A post office (1870-79) in the northwestern part of Pilot Grove Township.
Montgomery County was named after General Richard Montgomery.
He was killed in the assault on Quebec.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|