Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

MACEDONIA. The original hamlet of Macedonia was on the banks of the West Nishnabotna river, about three-quarters of a mile west of the present town of that name. It existed from about 1851 to 1880. Pottawattamie


MACEVILLE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1859-61 as a post office in Lucas County, but not found on maps of that period. Lucas


MACKEY. A hamlet in the northwest corner of section 22, Harrison Township. Post office, 1878-1903. (See more here) Boone


MACKEY'S GROVE. Same as above. Post office, 1871-78. Boone


MACKS.   In section 16, Pleasant Valley Township. Post office, 1869-71. Carroll


MACKSVILLE. A post office from 1862 to 1868 about two miles east of the present town of Stuart. Guthrie


MADISON. A village in sections 20 and 21, Madison Township, Laid out in 1856. Post office, 1855-73. Jones


MADISON. Lieut. Albert M. Lea in his Notes on Wisconsin Territory, 1836, and also on his map, gives the name Madison to what very soon after that date became Fort Madison. Lee


MAHASKA. Name of post office at or near present city of Oskaloosa in 1844. Mahaska post office was changed to Oskaloosa in that year. Mahaska


MAHERN. In the northern part of Monroe Township. Post office, 1861-65. Johnson


MAIDA. In the western part of Seeley Township. Post office, 1863-65. Guthrie


MAKEE. In section 18, Makee Township. Post office, 1853-67. Allamakee


MALLORY. A village established in the 1870's in section G, Greeley Township. After the coming of the Milwaukee Railway in 1882 it had a post office and a railway station for a few years, when they were both discontinued. Shelby


MALTA. A hamlet and station on the Iowa Central Railway in section 25, State Center Township. Post office 1883-94. Marshall


MALTON. A post office from 1870 to 1873 in the western part of Sioux Township, near the Big Sioux River. Plymouth


MAMMEN. A post office (1898-1906) in section 29, Grant Township. Plymouth


MANAT. A post office for a short time in 1884 at or near the location of the present railway station of Carnforth. Poweshiek


MANATHEKA. In sections 26 and 35, Polk Township. It was platted in 1857, was adjoining Marysville on the east and was considered an addition to that town. Benten


MANCHESTER. Sometimes called Manchester Mills. In section 6, Franklin Township. The town was close to the Post Township line and to its sister town of Cleveland. The two towns made a milling center on the Yellow River. Platted in 1859. Allamakee


MANGOLDVILLE. In Hazel Green Township. Post office, 1864-66. Deleware


MANHATTAN. A post office from 1866 to 1900, in the southeastern part of the east section 3, Lancaster Township, on the north side of South Skunk River. Keokuk


MANSFIELD. A hamlet or place shown on maps of 1868 and 1869 in the northern part of White Breast Township. Lucas


MANTENO. A village platted in 1856 in the northeastern part of section 18, Grove Township, on Mill Creek. Post office, 1856-58. Shelby


MANTI. On the line of Fisher and Walnut Townships, and about two miles west of the Page County line. Post office 1855-73. Freemont


MANTUA. A post office in the central part of Mantua Township from 1852 to 1854. Monroe


MAPLE GROVE. A post office in the southern part of Jackson Township from 1874 to 1889, and the northern part of Webster Township from 1889 to 1903. Madison


MAPLE HILL. Emmet


MAPLE. In the northern part of Afton Township, as shown on maps of 1878. Cherokee


MAPLETON. A village now spoken of as Old Mapleton, laid out in 1857, one mile west of the present town of Mapleton. Monona


MAPLEVILLE. Somewhat northeast of the center of Stapleton Township. Post office, 1857-59. Chickasaw


MARATHON. The name first given to the prescnt town of Earling when it was platted in 1882, and which it kept a few years. Shelby


MARCELLUS. A post office (1850-59) in the western part of Marion Township. Washington


MARCY. In section 13, Marcy Township, ahout three miles southwest of Moingona. Post office, 1863-67. Boone


MARDENSVILLE. Post office listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1894, but not found on maps of that period.  Appanoose


MARENA. A post office (1872-85) in the western part of section 22, Lincoln Township. Ringgold


MARIETTA. Platted in 1851 in the eastern part of section 13, township 84, range 19, and the western part of section 18, township 84, range 18. It was made the county seat the same year and continued to be until January 1, 1860, when it lost to Marshall. Post office, 1852-1900. A railroad siding is about all that remains. Marshall


MARINER'S HOPE. In the northern part of Iowa Township. Post office, 1861-63. Allamakee


MARION. A town reported by William Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the southeast quarter of section 15, and the west  half of section 14, Columbia Township, on the north bank of the Des Moines River Wapello


MARION. In the northwestern part of Marion Township, as it appears on the maps from 1856 to 1863. Hamilton


MARSHALL. A hamlet in the northern part of section 5, Rice Township, on the east side of the West Fork of Grand River, about five miles west of Mount Ayr, as shown on maps from 1875 to 1880. Sometimes called Marshalltown. Ringgold


MARSHALL. The name first. given the present town of Wayland. It was laid out as Marshall in 1851. The name of its post office which had been Crooked Creek was Marshall from 1851 to 1875. Henry


MARSHALL. The original name of the present city of Marshalltown from the time it was platted in 1853 to 1863.  Marshall


MARSHALLTOWN.  (See Marshall above). Ringgold


MARSHFIELD. A village in the northern part of section 3, Dubuque Township, as shown on maps of 1875-80. Dubuque


MARSHFIELD. The name first given to the post office of the town of Wyoming, which was in 1854. It was changed to Wyoming in 1855. Jones


MARTEN'S RANCH. Listed in the U. S. Official Register from 1857 to 1867 as a post office in Harrison County, but not found on maps of that period. Harrison


MARTINSBURG. The pioneer name of the village of Tripoli. Bremer


MARTINSBURG  .Platted as a town in 1856 where the present village of Mark now stands. It was later replatted as Martinsville. Davis


MARTINSVILLE.  (See Martinsburg above). Davis


MARVIN. The name which was given to the present town of Fonda in its beginning in 1871 and which it retained until 1874. Pocohantas


MARYSVILLE. A village in the southern part of section 15, Competine Township. Its post office was Competine. Wapello


MARYSVILLE. In the northeast quarter of section 34, Polk Township (see Hoosier Point). Marysville was platted in 1847, the first town laid out in the county. Post office, 1848-1857, when the name of the post office and town was changed to Urbana. Benten


MARYSVILLE. The pioneer name of the present town of Calmar. Winneshiek


MASONIC GROVE.  The pioneer name of Mason City.  Cerro GordoMASSILON. A village in the western part of section 26, Auburn Township, adjoining West Auburn on the west. Fayette


MAUCH CHUNK. A post office (1872-1900) in section 17, Monroe Township. Mahaska


MAUDVILLE. In the southwestern part of West Point Township and about one-half mile west of the present town of Allison. Post office 1873. Butler


MAULSBY. A place shown on maps of 1900 first in northern part of Taylor Township and later in the southern part of Liscomb Township. Marshall


MAURICE. The name first given the present village and railroad station of Matlock in Grant Township when It was established in 1888, but the name was soon changed because of a larger town of the same name in Sioux County. Sioux


MAXFIELD TOWNSHIP, on Iowa Publishing Co.'s map of 1905. Post office, 1889-1903. Bremer


MAXFIELD. In the northeast corner of section 19, Maxfield Township. Post office, 1865-1900. Bremer

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page 1 of  4

1

2

4

3

Page

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  4

1

2

4

3

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - M