BLOOMINGTON. A former name of the present city of Muscatine It was platted in 1836 as Newburg, but within a year the name was changed to Bloomington, which it remaimed until 1849 when it became Muscatine. Bloomington was the name of the post office from 1839 to 1849
CEDAR TOWN. Laid out as a town in the southeast quarter of section 34 and the southwest quarter of 35, Goshen Township, on the west bank of the cedar river,
as found at the time of the orginal survey in 1837.
FULTON. The former name of the present railroad station and town of Stockton.
GENEVA. A pioneer town of pretentions laid out in 1837 near the southwest corner of Sweetland Township, on the bank of the Mississippi, about three miles
northest of Muscatine. It came near to being the first county seat. Post office, 1838 to 1841.
GLEN DALE. A post office in Muscatine County from 1850 to 1851, but the location not found.
HUDSON. A place shown on maps from 1845 to 1857 at or near the present town of Atalissa.
IOWA. A place shown on maps from 1838 to 1856 on the bank of the Mississippi and on the east side of the mouth of Pine Creek.
LACEY. A post office (1860-71) in the eastern part of Pike Township.
LUCAS. A place shown on maps of 1845 in the southeastern part of Goshen Township, on the west bank of the Cedar River.
MELPINE. A post office in the northeastern part of Sweetland Township from 1847 to 1879.
MONTPELIER. A town on the bank of the Mississippi River and a short way west of the mouth of Pine Creek as shown on the Judson Black Hawk Purchase.
This location is about three miles west of the present village of Montpelier.
MYRTLE. A post office (1892-99) in the northern part of Cedar Township near the Cedar River.
NEWBURG. (See Bloomington above).
ORONO. A post office (1861-90) in the north central part of Orono Township.
OVERMAN'S. A post office from 1844 to 1856 in the southeastrn part of section 24, Goshen Township, on the Cedar River. It was formerly called Powasheek
PIKE. A post office (1852-71) in the central part of Pike Township, a short way south of the present town of Nichols.
PINE MILLS. A post office from 1870 to 1901 with some intermissions in the southwestern part of Montpelier Township, on Pine Creek, about three miles
northeast of Fairport, and now within the Wild Cat Den State Park.
PORT ALLEN. A former railroad station and hamlet in the southeastern part of section 31, Orono Township, in the extreme southern part of the township.
Post office, 1883-88.
PORTLAND. A place shown on maps fo 1857 near the central part of Cedar Township on the east bank of Cedar River.
POWASHEEK. A post office in Muscatine County from 1841-1844. The name was changed to Overmans Ferry (see above) in 1844.
PRAIRIE MILLS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Muscatine Connty from 1858-1871, but the location not found.
SALEM. The pioneer name of the present village and railroad station of Fairport. It was found platted as Salem at the time of the orginal survey in 1837, and is
shown on maps of 1838 and 1839 as Salem.
SPRINGFIELD. Shown on maps of 1857 at or near the later post office of Myrtle, which see above.
STRAWBERRY HILL. A post office (1851-61) in the southern part of Cedar Township.
WYOMING. A town on the bank of the Mississippi River about one mile west of Salem (which see above), as shown on the Black Hawk Purchase map, and
other maps as late as 1854. At the time of the orginal survey, 1837, Upper Wyoming and Lower Wyoming were found platted in the same locality.
Post office, 1838-45.
was taken from an indian word
which is thought to mean Prairie
Established December 7, 1836
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|