NANISEE. Listed as a post office in Wapello County in 1854 and 1855, but the location not found. Wapello


NANITO. In section 16, Grand River Township. Post office 1900-03. Adair


NANSEN. In section 10, Jacksonville Township. Post office, 1897-1903. Chickasaw


NANSON. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1888 to 1895, but the location not found. Pottawattamie


NANTVILLE. In eastern part of section 3, Mount Vernon Township. Post office, 1851-75  Black Hawk


NAPOLEON. In section 22, Lucas Township, about two miles south of the business section of Iowa City and east of the Iowa River. It was laid out in 1837 and in 1838 legally became the county seat, but failed to become so actually, and never became a town only on paper. Johnson


NAPOLEON. A projected early village on the south side of the Des Moines River opposite Bonaparte. Never built up. Van Buren


NARROWS.  (See Tileville). Madison


NASHEIM. The name of the post office at the present hamlet of Vinjie from 1889 to 1891. Winnebago


NASHVILLE. The former name of the present village and railroad station of Galland. Nashville was laid out in 1841. It had a post office a part of the year 1843 when it was discontinued. Lee


NASSAU. Name first given to present town of Gibson from its founding in 1880 until name was changed in 1901. Post office, 1882-1903. Keokuk


NAVARRE. A post office in the neighborhood of Dodgeville from 1849 to 1851. Des Moines


NEBRASKA. Listed as a post office from September 29, 1851, to November 29 of the same year in Yell County, which was the same as the present Webster County, without its north tier of townships, but its location not found. Webster


NEBRASKA. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1849 to 1850, but the location not found. The office was changed in 1850 to Council Bluffs. Pottawattamie


NECOT. A post office from 1851 to 1867 in the southeastern part of Buffalo Township. Linn


NEEDMORE. A post office in section 17, Cass Township, during the 1880's. Harrison


NEKIMI. A place in the southwestern part of Garfield Township on the Big Sioux River, as shown on maps from 1861 to 1878. Sioux


NELSON. A post office (1856-68) in section 15, Douglas Township. Mitchell


NELSON. In the southwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1885-1903. Guthrie


NEPTUNE. A post office (1880-1905) located in different farm homes in the southern part of Stanton Township, in its later time being at Happy Corners. Plymouth


NEVADA. The name of the present town of North English during its early existence. Iowa


NEW ALBA. A post office (1861-81) in the northern part of section 20, Jackson Township. It ran as Alba a few months in 1861 previous to the change of the name to New Alba. Winneshiek


NEW ALBANY. Platted as a town in 1857 in the northeast quarter of section 1, Wall Lake Township, about three miles south and one mile east of Sac City, but never developed. Sac


NEW ALBION.   Located at the corners of sections 3 and 4, Albion Township, and sections 33 and 34, Jefferson Township. Platted about 1856. It had several business enterprises. Its post office was named Swanton. Butler


NEW ALRANY. A town laid out in 1855 in the west half of the southeast quarter of section 18, New Albany Township, about two miles southwest of the present town of Colo. It vanished after the coming of the nearby railway. Story


NEW BERGEN. In section 6, High Lake Township. Post office, 1873-81. Emmet


NEW BUFFALO. Surveyors making the orginal survey in 1837 recorded in their notes that they found this town and the discription shows it on the same location as the present town of Buffalo. Scott


NEW BUFFALO. A movable country post office (1856-78) which was in the neighborhood where later was built the present town of Salix. Woodbury


NEW BUFFALO. Platted in an early day in Buffalo Township, but never built up. Linn


NEW BUTA. A village of about 100 population in 1868, in section 14, New Buda Township. Post office 1851-75.  Decatur


NEW CASTI.E.  A post office in section 23, Farmers Creek Township, in 185l. Jackson


NEW CASTLE. Some maps show it as Newark Castle, about two miles southeast of Otley, as shown on maps from 1856 to 1869.  Marion


NEW CHEROKEE.  The original name of the present city of Cherokee. Platted in 1870. Cherokee


NEW CHICAGO. A hamlet established in 1867 in the northwestern part of section 17, Dallas Township. Marion


NEW CHICAGO. Name of a hamlet near Cross that had a store, blacksmith shop, two doctors, etc. Ringgold


NEW GALENA. In section 1, Hanover Township, on the Upper Iowa River. Platted in 1857, but never recorded. At that time thought to have rich lead ore deposits. Post office, 1859-63. Allamakee


NEW HAMBURG. A post office 1869-1862 in the northern part of Hickory Grove Township. Scott


NEW HAVEN. A platted village in the northern part of section 1, Lockridge Township, as shown in the original surveys made in 1837. That is the only evidence remaining of its existence. Jefferson


NEW HAVEN. A post office (1857-66) in the eastern part of Dutch Creek Township, about one mile east of Dutch Creek. Washington


NEW HOPE. A post office from 1856 to 1880 in the western part of New Hope Township. Union


NEW HOPE. In the east part of section 28, Caldwell Township. A town was laid out in 1857, but never materialized. Appanoose


NEW IRELAND.  A name applied in an early day to the present town of Redfield. Dallas


NEW JEFFERSON. The early name given the present city of Jefferson. New Jefferson was the name of the post office from 1859 to 1867. Greene


NEW JERUSALEM.   The name first given Butler Rapids, which see above. Butler


NEW LEXINGTON. A town and post office from 1837 to 1842 one mile west of the present town of Bonaparte. Van Buren


NEW LINDON. A town laid out in 1853 about one mile east of the present town of Springville, as a rival of Springville, and the removal of the post office from Springville to that place was secured for a few years. Linn


NEW MARKET. The name by which Black Hawk City was known during a few of the later years' of its existence. New Market was the name of the post office there from 1851 to 1865. Van Buren


NEW MUNICH. Laid out as a town in the southwestern part of section 19, Cedar Township, about one mile east of the present city of· Sac City, and shown on maps of the 1850's at least two years earlier than any other place in the county. However, it was never built up. Sac City was laid out in 1855. Sac


NEW OREGON. The first established and for some years the leading town in the county. It was in the north parts of sections 2 and 3, New Oregon Township, on both sides of the Turkey River, and two miles south of where stands the present city of Cresco. Post office, 1855-75. A few residences still remain. Howard


NEW PHILADELPHIA. A town laid out in 1856 in the east half of the northeast quarter of section 6, and three blocks in the northwest part of section 5, Washington Township. Post office, 1859-69. It prospered as a town until the coming of the Northwestern railway in 1864 when a station was located about one-half mile to its north, and the town of Ontario was built up there. It is now embraced in the southern part of the village of Ontario. Post office, 1858-68. Story


NEW PLAINS POST OFFICE. Shown on maps of 1856 in central part of Washington Township. Appanoose


NEW PORT. A hamlet in the northwestern part of section 11, Middle Fork Township, as shown on maps from 1875 to 1880. Ringgold


NEW SAINT JOHNS. The name first applied, but only for a brief period, to the present city of Missouri Valley. Harrison


NEW STAND. In the eastern part of Elk Creek Township. Post office, 1858-68. Clayton


NEW TOWN. Laid out in about 1856 in the southeast quarter of section 21, Knox Township, just east of and adjacent to Wooster. Post office, 1856-65. A prosperous place in its day. Pottawattamie


NEW TOWN. The name first given the town of Gosport. Marion


NEW VINE. The name of the post office at the present village of New Vienna from 1849 to 1855. Dubuque


NEW YORK. The pioneer name of the present city of Clinton. It appears as New York on maps from 1834 to 1854. Clinton


NEW YORK. A village platted in 1855 in the northern part of section 22, Union Township. Post office 1856-1903. Wayne

Page 1 of  2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!  The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  2

1

2

Page

1

2

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - N

Iowa Ghost Towns