CYRENO. The name first given (1900) to the present village and railroad station of Plessis.

ELCHO. A post office from 1875 to 1878 at or near the northwest corner of Grant Township.

ERIE. A post office from 1874 to 1881 in the northern part of section 34, Liberty Township.

O'BRIEN. A village established in 1860 in the western part of section 36, Waterman Township. It was the county seat from 1860 to 1872.  Post office 1862-82.

PHILBY. A post office from 1898 to 1904 in section 11, Baker Township.

ROMANO. A place shown on maps of 1887 in section 18, Liberty Township.

SHABBONA. A proposed but soon abandoned railroad station in 1888 in the southwest quarter of section 21, Caledonia Township. It had a post office of the same name from 1887 to 1889.

SOUTH O'BRIEN. Platted as a village in 1872 in the northeast quarter of section 33, Liberty Township. It was soon vacated. Its post office of the same name

existed from 1872 to 1874, when it was discontinued in favor of Erie (see above).

WATERMAN. Listed as a post office in 1860 to 1862 in O'Brien County, and believed to have been in the southeastern part of Waterman Township.

WOODSTOCK. The name first given (1888) to the present village and railroad station of Gaza.

O'Brien County was named after

William Smith O'Brien.

He was a leader for the

Irish Independance in 1848

Established January 15, 1851

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

O’Brien County