Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

OAK GROVE. A post office from 1850 to 1853 in the western part of Fayette Township. Linn


OAK POINT. A post office (1849-80) in the northeastern part of the north section 5, Jackson Township. Van Buren


OAK. A post office (1871-75) in the northeast corner of section 18, Red Rock Township. Marion


OAKFIELD. In southwest part of section 20, Exira Township. It was platted about 1855, soon had mills, stores and was a thriving town until 1868 when it began to decline. Post office, 1859-75 Audubon


OAKLAND. A post office in the eastern part of Colony Township, as shown on maps of 1856. Deleware


OAKLAND. A town laid out in 1854 in the southern part of section 25 and the northern part of 36, Oakland Township. Its post office, called Port Allen, was from 1854 to 1861.  Louisa


OAKLAND. A town laid out In I857 southeast of and adjacent to Bentonsport. Van Buren


OAKLAND. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Dubuque County from 1853 to 1859, but not found on the maps. Dubuque


OAKLAND. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1869 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period. Clarke


OAK SPRING. A post office in the eastern part of Marion Township from 1851 to 1899. It probably moved from farm house to farm house, but at least part of the time was in section 23. Davis


OAKVALE. A post office, in 1859 near the Minnesota state line, but the exact location not found. Worth


OAKLAND VALLEY. A village in the northeastern part of section 28, Oakland Township, near the south bank of the Iowa River. It was Platted in 1857 and was prosperous for a time. Post office, 1862-97. Franklin


OAKWOOD. A hamlet and station on the Rock Island Railway near the northwest corner of Four Mile Township, about two miles west of Rising Sun. Post office, 1885-9l. Polk


OAKWOOD. A post office for a part of 1868 in the southern part of Lincoln Township. Tama


O'BRIEN. A village established in 1860 in the western part of section 36, Waterman Township. It was the county seat from 1860 to 1872. Post office, 1862-82. O'Brian


OCHEYEDAN. A post office in section 34, Horton Township, as shown on maps from 1875 to 1884, This location was about two miles northwest of the present town of Ocheyedan, and before the establishment of that town. Osceola


ODD. Post office (1879-82) in section 18, West Fork Township.  Woodbury


ODESSA. A town laid out in 1861 in the northern part of the south section 18, Port Louisa Township., on the west side of the main channel of a lake extending from the Missisiippi River. It was about five miles northeast of Wapello. Louisa


OGDEN. In the central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1861-69. Dubuque


OHIO. A post office from 1862 to 1889 in the eastern part of Walnut Township. Madison


OHIO. The ·name first given the present village of Dallas. Marion


OJEDO.  (See Jeddo City). Harrison


OLA. A post office (1854-63) in the northern part of Columbia Township, and about two miles south of the present city of Tama. Tama


OLA. A post office from 1867 to 1902 in section 10, Cedar Township. Lucas


OLDFIELD. A post office (1880-1900) on the east side of section 25, Washington Township. Polk


OLD MISSION. A post office (1850-82) in the northwestern part of section 34, Washington Township, about five miles southeast of Fort Atkinson and on the

west bank of the Turkey River. The noted Winnebago Indian school and mission was located in the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 33, just a short way southwest of the Old Mission post office. Winneshiek


OLD OTRANTO.  (see Otranto)  Mitchell


OLD ROLFE. (see Rolfe)  Pocohantas


OLD SAINT JOHNS. The name applied to Saint Johns in the later years of its existence. Harrison


OLD TOWN. The name popularly given to the hamlet which began in 1858 on the east bank of the West Fork of Des Moines River, one and one-half miles west of the present city of Emmetsburg. It grew into a prosperous business village, but in 1874 yielded to the newly laid out railroad town of Emmetsburg. Palo Alto


OLEAN. A post office from 1854 to 1858, near the center of Jackson Township. Keokuk


O'LEARY. A post office (1889-1902) in section 8, Union Township. Plymouth


OLIO. A post office (1856-64) slightly northeast of the center of Pleasant Township. Union


OLIVER. A post office in the northwestern part of Levey Township from 1875 to 1878. Sac


OLIVET. A post office (1871-74) near the center of Sand Creek Township, about two miles east of the present town of Arispe. Union


OLMITZ. A coal mining town in section 28, Pleasant Township, Post office, 1888-1905. Reestablished 07/11/1916 and discontinued again 11/30/1928.  Lucas


OLMSTEAD. A village in section 27, Harrison Township, platted in 1857, three miles south of the present town of Dunlap. Post office, 1859. Harrison


OLYMPUS. A post office (1882-97), first in section 5, Lincoln Township, and later in section 12, Allen Township. Harrison


ONAWA CITY. The name originally applied to the present town of Onawa. Onawa City was the name of the post office from 1858 to 1883.  Monona


ONESKA. A post office in Mahaska County from 1897 to 1904, was in section 34, Pleasant Grove Township but the location not found. Mahaska


ONION GROVE. In the northern part of section 14, Dayton Township. Post office, 1857-1861. From 1858 to 1861 the post office was in the present town of Clarence, which was then called Onion Grove. Previously called Union Grove. Cedar


ONONWA. The former name of the present town of Letts. The post office was also Ononwa from 1857 to Louisa


ONTARIO. Post office, 1858-68. Story


OPPOSITION. A town reported by W. Vendever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the southern part of section 8 and the northern part of section 17, Columbia Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River. Wapello


ORADELL. A hamlet in steam boating days on what is now the "Old Bed" of the Des Moines River, in section 31, Union Township. (See Pinchey)  Marion


ORAN. A post office in the southeastern part of secion 23, Oran Township, as shown on maps of 1875, also in Census Report of 1880. Fayette


ORANGE   In the southwestern part of Orange Township, Post office, 1861-75. Clinton


ORD. A post office from 1888 to 1905 in section 34, Lincoln Township. Madison


ORFORD. The former name of the present town of Montour.  Orford was also the name of the post office from 1865 to 1871.  Tama


ORIN GLEN. A post office in Honey Creek Township from 1851 to 1854, when the name was changed to Cold Water.  Deleware


ORION. In Westfield Township. Post office, 1856. Fayette


ORLANDO. A post office (1860-62) somewhat southwest of the center of Benton Township, or about five miles west of Corydon. Wayne


ORLEANS. In southeastern corner of section 35, Washington Township. The village was laid out in 1851 and flourished until about 1870. Post office, 1860-87. Appanoose


ORLEANS. Listed as a post office in Winneshiek County from 1854 to 1857, but its location not found. Winneshiek


ORMANVILLE. A once busy town in the northwestern part of section 33, Green Township. Post office 1809-1903. Wapello


ORNBAUM. A post office from 1875 to 1876 at or near the later town of Rose Hill. Mahaska


ORO. A post office from 1856 to 1858 two miles north of the present city of Red Oak. Montgomery


ORONO. A post office (1861-90) in the north central part of Orono Township.  


ORRINDEN. A post office in the southern part of Elk Township, as shown on maps of 1855. Deleware


ORRVILLE. The name of the post office from 1855 to 1857 at the town of Otranto which see below. Mitchell


ORSLAND. Listed in U.S. Postal Guide of 1900 as a post office in Buena Vista County, but not found on maps. Buena Vista

Page 1 of 2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  2

1

2

Page

1

2

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - O