BEN LOMOND. A post office (1876-78) in the central part of Garfield Township.
BLOOMING PRAIRIE. A post office from 1878 to 1882 in section 25, Garfield Township.
BUDA. A post office from 1873 to 1875 in the northern part of Lizard Township.
CEDARVILLE. The name first given to the post office at Fonda and which it carried from 1871 to 1873.
GARLOCK. A post office on the east shore of the main part of Swan Lake from 1877 to 1883.
HIGHLAND CITY. One of the names by which the town of Old Rolfe. which see below, was known in its early existence.
LEARNED. A post office (1879-82) in section 36, Grant Township.
LILLY. A post office from 1897 to 1902 in section 11, Dover Township.
LIZARD. A post office (1868-72) which occupied two or three different locations in the central and northern part of Lizard Township.
LOMBARD. Platted in 1872 as a village in section 32, Marshall Township, near the east side of Clear Lake. But little improvement was ever made there.
LUELLA. A post office (1877-81) in the southwestern part of Cummins Township.
MARVIN. The name which was given to the present town of Fonda in its beginning in 1871, which it retained until 1874.
MILTON. One of the names by which the town of Old Rolfe (see below) was known in its early existence. OLD ROLFE.
See Rolfe below.
PARVIN. The name given in 1882 to the town of Old Rolfe, which see above. The post office was Parvin from 1883 to 1884.
POCAHONTAS CENTER. The name first given the present town of Pocahontas. The name of the post office was Pocahontas Center from 187I to 1882.
POWHATAN. A post office in the central part of Powhatan Township from 1878 to 1883.
ROLFE. A town near the center of section 26, Des Moines Township, four miles northeast of the present town of Rolfe, and now referred to as Old Rolfe. It was begun in 1859 and was called Highland City until in 1861 when it was platted and named Milton. In 1862 the name of Rolfe was adopted, which it bore until 1882 when the present town of Rolfe was established. At that time the old town's name was again changed to Parvin, after which it soon was abandoned. The name Old Rolfe is now generally used in speaking of it. It was the county seat from 1859 until 1876.
ROI.FE JUNCTION. A name applied to the present town of Rolfe for a short time in its beginning.
RUBENS. A former station on the C. & N. W. Ry. and village laid out in 1882 in section 1, Center Township, about two miles west of the present town of Rolfe.
Post office, 1883-84. This name is still used to designate a siding on the C. & N. W. Ry.
RUSK. A village on the line between sections 27 and 28, Grant Township. Post office, 1894-1904. A rural church is all that remains to mark the site.
SHIRLEY. A post office in the southeast corner of section 32, Grant Township. Post office, 1876 to 1887, and again in 1889 to 1891.
SWAN LAKE. The name for a short time of the post office later called Garlock, which see above, when it was established in 1877.
Pocahontas County was named after the Indian Princess Pocahontas
who lived in the state of Virginia.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|