AMERICUS, A place on the Missouri River a little below the mouth of the Boyer River, as shown on maps of the early 1860's, and on maps a few years later,
in the northwestern part of Hazel Dell Township on Pigeon Creek.
ARMOUR. A post office (1883-19:11) in the southeastern part of Hardin Township.
BIG GROVE. The early name of the hamlet that later became the town of Oakland. Big Grove was the name of the post office from 1856 to 1881.
BLAIR. A post office in the early 1860's in the southeastern part of Washington Township on Silver Creek.
BOOMER GROVE. A post office from 1863 to 1864 in the central part of Boomer Township.
BOTNA. The name of the present town of Avoca in the beginning, 1868 to 1869.
BOYER. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County in 1855, and believed to have been in Crescent Township.
BRISTOL. A place shown on maps of the late 1850's about two miles north of Big Grove, which see above, on the east side of West Nishnabotna River, near
what was later Parma, which see below.
BULLOCK GROVE. A settlement on the north half of the northeast quarter of the east section 25 and the south half of the southeast quarter of the east
section 24, Lewis Township, found there when the original survey was made in 1852.
CARTERSVILLE. A village of about 200 people found by the surveyors who ran the original lines in 1851. It was about three miles east of Kanesville
(see below) just east of Mosquito Creek, and was shown on maps as late as 1869.
CLAYTON. The name of the present town of Macedonia for a brief time of its first existence, as shown on maps of 1887.
COLD SPRING. A post office for a time in the 1850's in the eastern part of Wright Township.
COUNCIL BLUFF. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office from 1851 to 1852 when the office was changed to Trader's Point, which see below.
This was before the name of Council Bluffs was given the present city of that name.
COUNCIL POINT. A place shown on maps from 1855 to 1868 near the shore of Lake Manawa (southwest quarter of section 15, township 74, range 44),
some three miles south of the business section of Council Bluffs.
CRESCENT CITY. About one mile east of the present railroad station and village of Crescent. It was very prosperous in 1857 and was a rival of Council Bluffs,
but only for a short time.
DESERET. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1854 to 1855, but the location not found.
DOWNSVILLE. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 31, Norwalk Township, on Mosquito Creek. Post office 1873-90.
ELLlSDALE. A post office from 1856 to 1857 about two miles south of where later stood Crescent City.
EMINENCE. A village laid out in 1875 in the southern part of section 28, Grove Township. See Wheeler's Grove and Wheeler, below.
FRENCH. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1896 to 1900, but the location not found.
HARRISON. A post office (1879-84) near the southwest corner of Boomer Township.
IOLA. Laid out as a town in 1856 in the southwest corner of Valley Township and northwest corner of Center Township, but never built up.
KANE. The name of the post office at Kanesville, which see below, from 1848 to 1852, when it was changed to Council Bluffs.
KANESVlLLE. The name from 1848 to 1853 of the present city of Council Bluffs. Also see Miller's Hollow below,
KEG CREEK. Listed as a post office in ,Pottawattamie County from 1874 to 1899, with some omissions, but its location not found.
KEMLING. A post office (1894-1901) in the southeastern part of Grove Township.
KEOWN. A post office (1896-1902) in the western part of York Township on Keg Creek.
LIMA. Former name of the present railroad station of Chautauqua some three miles east of Council Bluffs (shown on maps of 1881.
LIVING SPRING. A village in the southwestern part of Silver Creek Township. Post office, 1875-1908, except some suspensions.
LOSH'S MILLS. Hamlet on West Nishnabotna River near the present town of Carson. Post office, 1871-75 and from 1878 to 1880.
MACEDONIA. The original hamlet of Macedonia was on the banks of the West Nishnabotna river, about three-quarters of a mile west of the present town of
that name. It existed from about 1851 to 1880.
MILLER'S HOLLOW. The name of the hamlet which a little later became Kanesville, which see above.
MORTON. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1889 to 1898, but the location not found.
NANSON. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1888 to 1895, but the location not found.
NEBRASKA. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1849 to 1850, but the location not found. The office was changed in 1850 to Council Bluffs, which see above.
NEW TOWN. Laid out in about 1856 in the southeast quarter of section 21, Knox Township, just east of and adjacent to Wooster (see below).
Post office, 1856-65. A prosperous place in its day.
NISHNA. A hamlet on the West Nishnabotna River near New Town, which see above. Post office, 1866-69.
PACIFIC. The name the old settlers called Avoca for a short time when it was established in 1868.
PARMA. Hamlet formerly called Bristol (see above). Parma was also the name of the post office, 1873 to 1882. See Wooster below.
PIGEON. A post office (1889-1902) in the central part of Boomer Township.
POTTAWATTAMIE. A place in the eastern part of Norwalk Township on Keg Creek, as shown on maps of 1868.
PRAIRIE FLOWER. Listed in 1854 as a post office in Pottawattamie County, but the location not found.
REELS. A post office (1884-1904) in section 6, Hazel Dell Township.
SCOTTSWOOD. A post office from 1880 to 1886 in Garner Township.
SILVER CREEK. A post office (1852-56) in the central part of Silver Creek Township.
SNAP. A post office (1881-85) in Hardin Township.
TAYLOR STATION. A post office (1874-83) in the central part of Washington Township. It ran as Taylor from 1883-1907.
TRADERS POINT. In the 1850's it is said to have been in the northwest quarter of section 35, township 74, range 44, on the bank of the Missouri River, about
half a mile north of the Mills County line, but maps after 1870 show it then as being a short distance south of the county line. See Mills County list. It is listed as
a post office in Pottawattamie County in 1852.
UNION. A place one mile east of Cartersville, which see above, as appears on maps of 1868 and later.
WALNUT CREEK STATION. A post office (1870-75) at or near where now is the town of Walnut.
WALNUT GROVE. A place near the northwest corner of Hazel Dell Township, as shown on maps of 1856 to 1862.
WAVELAND. A post office (1870-81) on the south line of section 26, Waveland Township.
WHEELER. See Wheeler's Grove below.
WHEELER'S GROVE. A post office at the village of Eminence, which see above, from 1866 to 1883 when the name of the post office was changed to Wheeler,
and continued to 1901. The village also took the name of Wheeler about the same time as did the post office.
WHIPPLE. A post office (1876-86) in the central part of Wright Township.
WILLOW. A hamlet and post office (1860-66) in the central part of Rockford Township on the Boyer River.
WOOSTER. Laid out in 1855 in the southwestern part of section 21, Knox Township. A little later New Town (see above) was laid out adjacent and to the east of Wooster. Later Parma (see above) occupied a location at or near where Wooster had stood.
was named after an indian tribe,
who's territory was what is now
the state of Iowa.
Established February 24, 1847
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|