...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

BLACKMORE. A post office (1880-95) in section 8, Monroe Township.


BLOOMINGTON. A post office from 1875 - 1880 and again from 1888 - 1890 in the northeastern part of section 10, Riley Township.


BORNEO. (See Delphi below).


BOZARIS. A post office (1873-75) in the eastern part of section 19, Benton Township.


CALEDONIA. A small village laid out in 1855 in the western part of section 11, Lot's Creek Township. Post office, 1856-1908. It still has a store,

church and school.


CLIPPER. A post office (1874-88) in the western part of section 29, Middle Fork Township.  Post office 1875-85.


CROSS. A post office from 1856 to 1879, except two brief intermissions, in the northeastern part of Athens Township at or near the location of the present

town of Kellerton.


DELPHI. A place shown on maps of the early 1880's in section 22, Benton Township, at or near the location of the present railroad town of Maloy. Delphi was

also called Borneo.


ESTELLA. A post office (1861-71) in the eastern part of Benton Township.


EUGENE. A village in the northeastern part of section 13, Jefferson Township. Post office, 1858-87. A thriving place until the advent of railroads.


FLUSHING. A post office (1871-74) in the central part of Jefferson Township.


GOSHEN. A village in the northeastern part of Grant Township, and for a while a station on the Humeston branch of the C., B. & Q. Railroad. Diagonal grew up about a mile east of Goshen, causing Goshen's decline. Post office, 1872-89.


INGARTS. (See Ingart's Grove below).


INGART'S GROVE. A post office (1860-83) in the southwestern part of section 3, Middle Fork Township. It continued as Ingarts until 1894.


KEW. A former station and hamlet on the Humeston branch of the C., B. & Q. Railroad about four miles east of Diagonal. It had a post office from 1882 to 1889.


KNOWLTON. A town and railroad station about one and one-half miles northeast of the present town of Diagonal. Post office 1888 1919. It still has a

store and school.


LEE. A post office (1898-1908) in section 20, Riley Township.


LESAN. A former railroad station on the C., B. & Q. Railroad about five miles east of Mount Ayr. Post office, 1884-99. There is still a school, church and

cemetery, and the place goes by the name of Lesanville.


MARENA. A post office (1872-85) in the western part of section 22, Lincoln Township.


MARSHALL. A hamlet in the northern part of section 5, Rice Township, on the east side of the West Fork of Grand River, about five miles west of Mount Ayr,

as shown on maps from 1875 to 1880. Sometimes called Marshalltown.


MARSHALLTOWN. See Marshall above.


MORTIMER. A post office (1883-1901) in section 7, Jefferson Township.


NEW CHICAGO. Name of a hamlet near Cross, which (see above) had a store, blacksmith shop, two doctors, etc.


NEW PORT. A hamlet in the northwestern part of section 11, Middle Fork Township, as shown on maps from 1875 to 1880.


POLEN. A post office (1891-1901) in section 3, Lincoln Township.


POYNEER. The name of the post office from 1891 to 1894, at the present village of Watterson in Lot's Creek Township.


PRAIRIE VIEW. The name of the post office (1857-65) at the location of the later post office of Blackmore (see above).


QUINN'S GROVE. A post office from 1871 to 1872 in the eastern part of Jefferson Township.


REDDING. Redding was a post office some four miles north of the present town of Redding from 1855 until the establishment of the town.


RINGGOLD. See Ringgold City below.


RINGGOLD CITY, Laid out as a town in 1855 in the northern part of section 28, Lot's Creek Township. It was never more than a hamlet. Its post office was Ringgold and was from 1860 to 1908. This place still has a store and church, and is a community center.


SILVER STREET. A post office (1858-63) in the northwestern part of Union Township.


THOMAS. The name of the post office from 1884 to 1891 at the present village of Watterson in Lot's Creek Township.


UNION HILL. A post office (1861-82) in the southern part of section 15, Union Township.


WANAMAKER. A post office (1891-1902) in the northeast corner of section 31, Athens Township.


WIRT. The former name of the present town of Ellston. Wirt was the name of the post office from 1882 to 1895.

Ringgold County was named after Samuel Ringgold.

He was a Major in the Mexican War and was mortally

wounded in that war.




Established February 24, 1847

Ringgold County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED