RACCOON FORKS. A name applied in pioneer times to the location that became the city of Des Moines. Polk


RACCOON RIVER. The name of the post office from March 2, 1846, to December 31, 1846, at Fort Des Moines, which see above. Polk


RACINE. In secion 34, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1881-1900. Buena Vista


RAGLAN. A post office from 1864 to 1867 in section 25, Raglan Township. Harrison


RAHM. The name of the post office at the present village of St. Benedict from 1888 to 1894. Kossuth


RALEIGH. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Emmet County from 1900-1919, but not found on maps. Emmet


RAMONA. Listed as a post office in Tama County from 1888 to 1890, but the location not found. Tama


RAMSEY. A village in the northern part of section 13, Ramsey Township. Post office, 1877-89. Kossuth


RANDOLPH. In section 7, Grove Township. Post office, 1875-76. Humboldt


RANKIN CITY. A village platted near the present town of Floris in 1871, but failed to develop. Davis


RANSOM. A place in section 19, Spring River Township, on the west side of Soldier River, as appears on maps of the early 1880's. Monona


RANTOUT. A place in the northwestern part of Clay Township, as shown on maps from 1861 to 1869. Shelby


RAPIDS. In Douglas Township on the Des Moines River about three miles northwest of Swede Point. Post office, 1851-01. Boone


RATER. The name of the post office at the railway station of Carbon in 1895 and for a brief time before and after that date. Davis


RATHTON. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1885 as a post office in Hardin County, but not found on the maps of that period. Hardin


RATNA. A post office (1889-1900) in the northeast corner of section 9, Mount Valley Township. Winnebago


RAY. The name of the post office at Maine, section 18, Taylor Township. Post office, 1892-1903. Appanoose


READ. The name of the post office at the town of Clayton Center. Its existence was from 1857 to 1900. Clayton


RED CEDAR MILLS. A post office from 1853 to 1856 in the central part of Liberty Township. Marion


RED CEDAR. In the northwestern part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1878-81. Hamilton


RED OAK JUNCTION. The pioneer name of the present city of Red Oak from when it was laid out in 1858 to 1871. Red Oak Junction Was also the name of the post office from 1859 to 1869. Montgomery


RED OAK. In the northeastern part of Red Oak Township,. Post office, 1857-67. Cedar


REDDING. Redding was a post office some four miles north of the present town of Redding from 1855 until the establishment of the town. Ringgold


REDHEAD. A station on the Chicago & Great Western Railroad at above the point where now that railroad intersects Avenue Frederick Hubbell in the eastern part of the city of Des Moines, as shown on maps of 1887. Polk


REDMAN. A village in the eastern part of section 25, York Township, on the Benton County line. Post office 1854-63. Tama


REED. A post office in 1881 and 1882 in the northeastern part of section 21, Ohio Township. Madison


REEDER'S MILLS. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 34, Jefferson Township. Post office 1858-1900. Harrison


REED'S RIDGE. In section 26, Hanover Township. Post office, 1873-75. Allamakee


REEDSVlLLE. A post office (1855-60) in the eastern part of Marion Township. Marshall


REEDVILLE. Laid out as a town in 1855 in section 8, Red Rock Township, near Prairie Creek. Never grew much and soon vacated. Marion


REELS. A post office (1884-1904) in section 6, Hazel Dell Township. Pottawattamie


REEVE. In section 36, Reeve Township. Post office, 1863-73. Franklin


RENNER. This post office is listed iu the U. S. Postal Guide from 1897 to 1900 as heing in the county, but is not shown on maps. Boone


RENO. In the northeast corner of section 20 and the northwest corner of section 21, Edna Township. Platted as a town in 1876.  Post office, 1881-97. Cass


REPUBLIC. In the northeast corner of section 20, Richland Township. Post office, 1889-1910. Chickasaw


REYNOLDS. The name first given (1893) to the present town of Swea City. Kossuth


RHOADS. Name of the post office at the railroad station of Sharpsburg for a few months in 1883. Taylor


RICHFIELD. In the northwestern part of Bethel Township. Post office, 1857-97. Fayette


RICHLAND. A town platted in 1856 in the southwest quarter of section 5, Richland Township. A kind of suburb of Bowen's Prairie. Jones


RICHMOND.   (see Port Richmond). Wapello


RICHMOND. Laid out as a town in 1849 in the southern part of section 12, Scott Township. Its only building was a store. Its post office was named Amazon (see Amazon). Madison


RICHMOND. A proposed village in section 16, Perry Township, about four miles northeast of Bloomfield. It was platted in 1848. Davis


RICKER. The name of the post office from 1882 to 1884 at what is now the town of Granville. Sioux


RICORD. In the northeastern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1889-97. Hardin


RIDGEDALE. A post office (1858-1902, except a few intermissions) about four miles southeast of Lincoln, which see above, near the present site of Camp Dodge. Polk


RIDGEPORT. In eastern part of section 18, Dodge Township. Laid out in 1854, and was a village of some importance for many years. Its post office, Mineral Ridge. Boone


RIDGEWAY. In the southern part of section 28, Beaver Township, about one mile west of where the present town of Menlo is located. Guthrie


RILEY. Shown at different periods, first in the northwestern part of Knox Township, in the eastern part of Doyle Township, and later in the southeastern part of

Troy Township. Post office, 1859-69. Clarke


RINGGOLD. (See Ringgold City below). Ringgold


RINGGOLD CITY, Laid out as a town in 1855 in the northern part of section 28, Lot's Creek Township. It was never more than a hamlet. Its post office was Ringgold and was from 1860 to 1908. This place still has a store and church, and is a community center. Ringgold


RINGSTED. Established in 1885 as a county post office about two miles east of the present town of Ringsted, but on the coming of the railroad the office was removed to the new town. Emmet


RIPLEY. In the southeastern part of Ulster Township. Post office, 1857. Floyd


RIPPEY (Old). In section 7, Washington Township, near the North Raccoon River, as shown on maps from 1857 to 1880. When the railroad was built about four miles to the east "Old Rippey’ was largely removed to the present town of Rippey. Greene


RISING SUN, In southeast part of Udell Township as shown on maps of 1868. Appanoose


RISING SUN. The original name of the present village of Pittsburg from the time of its beginning in 1837 until 1842. The post office was Rising Sun from 1841 to 1844. The government surveyors report finding tbe town of Rising Sun at this location in 1837.  Van Buren


RIVER VIEW. A post office from 1872 to 1886 in the northwestern part of section 2, Grant Township, about two miles southwest of the present village of Little Rock. Lyon


RIVERDALE. Near the northwest corner of Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1873-76. Iowa


RIVERSIDE. In section 12, Yell Township, near the west bank of the Des Moines River, Post office, 1857-69. Boone


RIVERTON. In the northern part of Riverton Township. Post office, 1857-59. Floyd


ROACH. A Milwaukee railway station in the northern part of Cass Township in the early 1880's. It had a post office from 1880 to 1882. Shelby


ROBIN. In southern part of section26, Fremont Township. Post office,l 1865-81. Benten


ROBINSON. A village in southern part of Adams Township. Post office, 1914. Deleware


ROCHDALE. The name first given the present railway station and village of Botna when it was established in the early 1880's. Shelby  

Page 1 of 2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!   The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  2

Page

1

2

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - R

Iowa Ghost Towns