ALLEN'S GROVE. A post office from 1850 to 1851 and from 1854 to 1902 in section 27, Allen's Grove Township Amity. The name of the post office at the
present village of Maysville, from 1851 to 1902
ARGO. A post office (1897-1902) in the south east corner of section 8, Le Claire Township. (See additional info in ‘Stories of Towns Past’)
BALLUFF. A Post Office (1884-90) at a point which is now in the Northern limits of the City of Davenport.
BARRWOOD. The name of a post office (1881-83) at the same location as was the Walnut Grove post office (see below).
BERLIN. The name of a post office at the town of Parkhurst, see below, post office from 1839-1845.
CADDA. The name of the post office (1888-1895) at Carlson, see below
CARLSON. The name of a former Railway Station and Hamlet one and one-half miles West of the present station of Noels in Winfield Township.
CHURCHVILLE. A post office in the early 1860's in the Eastern part of Hickory Grove Township.
CLARK'S FERRY. A post office (1838-39) at or near the present town of Buffalo.
EAST DAVENPORT. Laid out as a town in 1852 about one mile east of brady Street, Davenport and now included within the present City of Davenport.
ELIZABETH CITY. The pioneer name of the present town of Princeton. It appears on maps 1845 to 1860 as Elizabeth City.
FARMING GROVE. Listed as a post office in Scott County in 1843, but it's location not found.
GAMBRIL. The name of a post office (1884-1919) at Martin's Station, Buttler Township.
GILBERT. The name of the villiage from the 1850's to the 1890's Which occupied the site of the present city of Bettendorf.
GILBERTTOWN. A name commonly applied to the city of Gilbert, see above.
GLENDALE. The name of a post office from 1839 to 1841 at or near the present town of Buffalo.
GREEN TREE. See Green Tree Tavern below.
GREEN TREE TAVERN. A post office (1878-83) in the Northern part of the west section 4, Davenport Township, five miles north and one mile west of the city
of Davenport. It continued as Green Tree from 1883 to 1903.
HICKORY GROVE. A post office (1839-45) in the central part of Hickory Grove Township.
HUSAM. A post office in Blue Grass Township, from 1882 to 1883.
JAMESTOWN. A Hamlet in the southern eastern part of section 3, Buffalo Township. Post office 1889 - 1904.
KERR. Listed as a post office in Scott County from 1881 to 1882, but it's location not found.
LE CLAIRE CENTER. A post office from 1855 to 1856 in Le Claire Township.
LINN GROVE. A post office (1853-59)in the central part of Sheridan Township
LINNWOOD. A hamlet in section 21, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1880-89.
MIDDLETOWN. Laid out as a town between Parkhurst and LeClaire, and later included within the town of LeClaire.
NEW BUFFALO. Surveyors making the orginal survey in 1837 recorded in their notes that they found this town and the discription shows it on the same location
as the present town of Buffalo.
NEW HAMBURG. A post office 1869-1862 in the northern part of Hickory Grove Township.
PARKHURST. Surveyors making the orginal survey in 1837 record finding this town in section 35, Le Claire Township, and said it was prospering. It is now
included in the northern portion of the town of Le Claire.
Pinnicle Point. The name by which the present town of Princeton was first known.
PLAINVIEW. A hamlet at the common corners of sections 1 adn 12, Cleona Township, and 6 and 7, Hickory Grove Township.
POINT PLEASANT. A village laid out in 1839 sections 4 and 5, Winfield township, on the south bank of the Wapsipinicon River. Its life was breaf.
Post office 1840-44.
PRICE. A post office in 1864 in the southern part of Sheridan Township.
ROCKINGHAM. A town laid out in 1835 in section 8, Rockingham Township, about 4 miles below the business section of Davenport. The first government
surveyors of 1837 note it's existance. It was a rival of Davenport for several years and contested for the county seat. Post office, 1844-47.
ROUND GROVE. A post office (1853-1904) on the north line of section 3. Cleona Township. (Iowa Ghost Towns note: Roughly, about half way between
today's Plainview and New Liberty on highway-130.)
SPINNEYVILLE. A hamlet later know as Linwood, see above. The post office was Spinneyville from 1872-1880.
VALLEY CITY. The name first given 1833 to the present village and railway station of Pleasant Valley.
WALNUT GROVE. A post office (1844-72) in the northern part of section 19, Butler towship.
WEST BUFFALO. The name of the post office from 1841 to 1857 in a portion of the town of Buffalo.
WHITE SULPHER. A hamlet and former railway station in the southern part of section 13, Buffalo Towship. Post office 1889-1905.
Scott County was so named for Major General Winfield Scott. He nogotiated the 1st treaty
for purchasing lands in Iowa from the Indians
Established December 21, 1837
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|