Curlew - A city in Palo Alto County, Iowa, United States. The population was 58 at the 2010 census.
History – Curlew had its start in the year 1882 by the building of the Des Moines and Fort Dodge Railroad through that territory. It was named by the railroad president, an avid hunter, from the Curlew birds found in the area.
Cylinder - A city in Palo Alto County, Iowa, United States. The population was 88 at the 2010 census. The median income for a household in the city was $24,750, and the median income for a family was $40,625
Dana - A city in Greene County, Iowa, United States. The population was 71 at the 2010 census.
History - Dana was incorporated as a town in 1907. It is named for Samuel Dana, a pioneer settler.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,750, and the median income for a family was $30,625
Delphos - A city in Ringgold County, Iowa, United States. The population was 25 at the 2010 census.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,125, and the median income for a family was $33,125.
Dolliver - A city in Emmet County, Iowa, United States. The population was 66 at the 2010 census.
History - Dolliver had its start in the year 1899 by the building of the Chicago and North Western Railway through that territory. It is named for United States Senator Jonathan P. Dolliver. The railroad line on which the town was established was shut down in the early 1970’s.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,036, and the median income for a family was $34,375
Dougherty - A city in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, United States. The population was 58 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Mason City Micropolitan Statistical Area.
History - A post office called Dougherty has been in operation since 1900. Dougherty was named for a local farmer.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,458, and the median income for a family was $50,417
SMALL TOWNS - 2
The median income for a household in the city was $20,250, and the median income for a family was $20,417
Notable people - Paul W. Brechler (July 17, 1911 in Curlew, Iowa – September 13, 1997) was an athletic director (1947-1960) for the University of Iowa for 13 years and the first commissioner of the Western Athletic Conference.
Paul Brechler graduated from Emmetsburg High School before attending Drake University in
Des Moines, Iowa.
He played football and basketball at Drake. Brechler was a guard and end for the Bulldog football team and was the captain of Drake’s 1933 team. He was also a two-time all-conference football selection. Brechler graduated from Drake in 1934.
Jane Easton, Leo Gorcey, and Huntz Hall in Jalopy (1953)
Richard Conte, James Darren, Jane Easton, and Paul Picerni in The Brothers Rico (1957)
Professional wrestler Danny Havoc was born in Cylinder, and started wrestling in his family's barn with friends after school.
Best known for his work in Combat Zone Wrestling, Westside Xtreme Wrestling, Big Japan Pro Wrestling, Gamechanger Wrestling, IWA Mid-South, IWA East Coast and IWA Deep-South, where he is known as an extreme or "deathmatch" wrestler.
The town began in 1885 and Brown and Sons built a large hay barn, and soon after Milwaukee Railroad Company put in a siding to help load the hay. In 1890 a railway depot was constructed, and the town was incorporated in 1900.
The town of Cylinder was incorporated in 1901 with George Wells as the mayor
Although Cylinder came into existence well over a 100 years ago, it still can boast that it is the only town by that name in the country and perhaps in the world.
The original railway depot was named after nearby Cylinder Creek, which may have received its name after early settlers dropped an engine into the mud and never recovered it.
John Goeders built a store in 1889 and the depot was built the following year. Two early depot agents were Joe Yankee and C. H. Slagle. The depot was purchased by the town in August 1976 for $1.00 and moved it to the city park to be used as a shelter house.
This village was named after Samuel Dana, a pioneer settler on the site of the town, who was a godfather in the project of establishing a trading center in the early days. The wisdom of the venture has never been questioned, as Dana has been accredited with being one of the best shipping stations on the railway passing through it.
It has modestly lived under the rules of township government until the summer, 1907, when it was incorporated.
The first house was built by Mr. Garrett in 1880. E. E. Hutchings, in 1881, built a small store room with dwelling attached, establishing the first mercantile enterprise. A year later he sold out to W. C. Barth, who succeeded in building up a phenomenally large business, a man who probably more than any other, contributed to the growth and reputation of Dana as a trading center.
After conducting business for nine years, he sold out to McKee & Sons, and a year later they disposed of the stock to
Reuben Snyder. Frank Thompson took possession of the building in 1903 and sold to Jones & Brown in 1905.
Emil Tydenaccomplished many things in his life, including over 200 patents for technology that is still used today. He also bought land in North Central Iowa and built up 8 different farms. This website is dedicated to telling you the story of Emil Tyden and Farm No. 6.
This abandoned grist mill stands along the north fork of the Maquoketa River at the site of the deserted ghost town, Rockville. Rockville was founded in 1845 and was a prosperous town until the railroad company started building tracks in neighboring
Galt - A city in Wright County, Iowa, United States. The population was 32 at the 2010 census.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,625, and the median income for a family was $31,875
Wright County Egg (formerly DeCoster Egg Farms), based in Galt, Iowa, is one of the top ten egg producers in the United States, with a flock of more than 15 million chickens. The company also produces pork.
Graf is a small rural town, nestled in a beautiful valley in Dubuque County, Iowa.
Graf was founded around 1886, when farmer Christian Graf donated land to the Graf TownChicago Great Western Railroad for a depot. A coal chute and water tower were erected to serve the coal trains and a helper engine was kept in Graf to assist the trains up the incline to Farley.
Due to the railroad, Graf was a thriving community. In 1898, a post office was opened in Graf, and during the 1920s Graf became an independent school district.
Becky's Greenhouse in 2016 will be starting the 27th year of growing, and over 30 years of selling plants. I am a Master Gardener since 2000 thru the Iowa State Extension service. Larry's Garage is our main stay business here in Dougherty. Larry opened up his garage in 1975 so he has been here for over 40 years. So personal I can grow, sell plants and also get you some tires. Interesting business we have. Upcoming articles I will give you the history of Becky's Greenhouse.
Notable people - Harley A. Wilhelm, Manhattan Project chemist who invented the Ames Process for purifying uranium making the atomic bomb possible, was born on a farm near Ellston.
Harley A. Wilhelm was born on a farm near Ellston, Iowa, on August 5, 1900, one of seven children of Bert Clement and Annie Bell Wilhelm. He attended Ellston High School, where he was a varsity athlete as a freshman. He earned all-state athletic honors in his senior year. He graduated from Ellston High School in 1919, and entered Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, on an athletic scholarship. At Drake he played as a forward on the basketball team and a halfback on the American football team. He was also a pitcher on the baseball team. He became interested in chemistry, and was awarded a fellowship to Iowa State College to study it there, but returned to Drake, where he received his Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) degree in 1923.
Ellston - A city in Ringgold County, Iowa, United States. The population was 57 at the 2000 census.
History - In 1881, anticipating the railroad, Cochran & Le Fever built a general store, giving birth to the village of Wirt. The business failed and was sold six months later, but in March 1882 the Humeston & Shenandoah Railroad established a station here.
In 1895 the town's name of Wirt was changed to Ellston so mail would be correctly received, rather than confused with the nearby northeasterly town of Van Wert.
The westerly border of Ellston is county road P-64. This road was originally part of the Dragoon Trace.
The Dragoon Trace or Dragoon Trail is an historic trail that runs north and south through central Iowa and Missouri, including Ringgold County.
It was originally made by the migration of animals, such as buffalo and deer.
Because the Native Americans knew the animals had searched out the best place to cross the creeks and rivers, they too traveled this narrow path. Later used by the pioneers, this was the road to change Iowa's civilization.
Judy and Ted Pitzenberger - Dougherty couple wants to share history and farming lifestyle