SAC AND FOX AGENCY. The name of the post office from 1844 to 1849 at the place that later became the present town of Agency. Wapello


SAFESIDE. In the western part of section 6, Thompson Township. Post office, 1897-1904. Guthrie


SAGE. The orginal name given the railroad station at Emmetsburg by the Milwaukee road in 1874, but retained but briefly. Palo Alto


SAILORVILLE. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the south half of section 19 and the northeast quarter of section 30, Richland Township, the location being about one mile north of the present Kirkville Station. Wapello


SAINT CHARLES CITY. In the central part of the present city of Charles City on the northeast side of the Cedar River. Platted September 22, 1854. The name Saint Charles City was changed to Charles City in 1860.  Floyd


SAINT CLAIR. A post office in section 4, Soldier Township, from 1861 to 1884. Monona


SAINT GEORGE. Laid out as a village in Maple Township in 1857. It only amounted to a hamlet, and that for a short time. Monona


SAINT GILMAN. The name first given (1872) the present town of Ashton. The post office was also Saint Gilman from 1873 to 1881. Osceola


SAINT JOHAN. Former name of the present town of Mederville. Clayton


SAINT JOHNS. A town in sections 27 and 28, Saint Johns Township, on the southeast side of the Boyer River and about two miles southeast of the present city of Missouri Valley. Platted in 1857 and an important town in its day. Post office, 1858-1871. Harrison


SAINT JOSEPH'S PRAIRIE. Listed in the U.S. official Register of 1851 as a post office in Dubuque County, but not shown on maps. Dubuque


SAINT JULIEN. A post office from 1846 to 1858 in the southern part of Linn Township. Linn


SAINT MARY'S.  Post office from 1849 to 1859 on the old Dubuque and Iowa City road about midway between Mount Vernon and Ivanhoe. Linn


SAINT MARY's. A town, the site of which is washed away, near the southwest corner of Saint Mary Township, as shown on maps of the 1850's. Mills


SAINT PAUL JUNCTION. The name given on maps of 1869 to the location where now stands the city of Le Mars.  Plymouth


SALT CREEK. A post office (1893-94) and hamlet in the east central part of Salt Creek Township, near the Benton County line. Tama


SALT CREEK. A post office in Salt Creek Township, perhaps first located in section 10, and later in Paul Shepherd's store in section 17, about three and one-half. miles east of Floris. It ran from 1851 to 1868, and its discontinuance was likely because of Shepherd's disloyalty during the Civil War. Davis


SALEM. The pioneer name of the present village and railroad station of Fairport. It was found platted as Salem at the time of the original survey in 1837, and is shown on maps of 1838 and 1839 as Salem. Muscatine


SALUBRIA. A village laid out in 1838 about two miles south of Farmington and on the same side of the river. It existed only a few years. Van Buren


SAMISON. A post office and Milwaukee railway station from 1879 to 1882 in section 32, Cass Township. Shelby


SAMPSON. Listed as a post office in Winneshiek County in 1893 and 1894, but its location not found. Winneshiek


SAMVILLE. A post office (1886-87) at or near the later village of Bentonville. Wayne


SAND CREEK.  In the eastern part of Prairie Township. Post office, 1862-64. Deleware


SAND RIDGE. Post office in southern part of Union Township (1849 to 1851) when it was changed to Green Bay post office in Lee County. Des Moines


SANDERSVILLE. Village along Iowa River, half mile southeast of present village of Gifford. Had water power for turning out woodenware. Hardin


SANDYVILLE. Laid out in 1851 in the northeastern part of section 21 and the northwestern of 22, Union Township, five miles east of the present town of Ackworth. A town of importance at one time. Post office, 1855-1903. A few scattered buildings remain. Warren


SARATOGA. A post office in the southwestern part of section 7, Hamilton Township, as shown on maps of 1875 to 1880. Hamilton


SARGENT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Floyd County from 1885 to 1889, but not found on maps of that period. Floyd


SAUDE In section 20, Utica Township. Post office, 1881-1914. Chickasaw


SAXON. A post office (1888-1901) in section 25, Clay Township. Wayne


SAYRE.  Listed in U.S. Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Buena Vista County, but not found on maps. Buena Vista


SCHOHARIE. A post office from 1871 to 1874 in the southwestern part of Douglas Township on the Raccoon River. Sac


SCHONBERG. A post office (1871-79) at the northwest corner of section 21, Belmont Township about two miles east of the present town of Milo. It was

sometimes called Belmont Center, but was one mile west of the center of that township.  Warren


SCHONEBERG.  Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1893 to 1897, but not found on the maps. Calhoun


SCOTT CENTER. In the western part of Scott Township. Post office, 1865-75. Fayette


SCOTT.  Near the center of Scott Township. Post office, 1897-1903. Fayette


SCOTT. A post office (1849-67) in the central part of Scott Township. Mahaska


SCOTT. In section 23, Scott Township. Post office, 1881. Floyd


SCOTTSWOOD. A post office from 1880 to 1886 in Garner Township. Pottawattamie


SCRANTON CITY. The name of the post office at the present town of Scranton from 1880 to 1889. Greene


SCRANTON STATION. The name of the post office at the present town of Scranton from 1869 to 1880. Greene


SEATON.  In section 29, Smithfield Township. Post office, 1867-77. Fayette


SEDALIA. The name first given the present town of .Jamaica, but on being platted later in the same year, 1882, it was named Van Nest, but shortly thereafter changed to Jamaica. Guthrie


SEDGEWICK. In central part of Fayette Township. Post office,1867-75. Decatur


SEEVERS. A coal mining town about three miles southeast of Colfax. post office, 1903-1914. Jasper


SELECTION. A coal mining town and railroad station about five miles south of Albia. Post office 1881-1903. Monroe


SELMA. A post office (1866-78) in section 4, Richman Township. Wayne


SEPANAMO. In the western part of section 12, Fremont Township, on the east side of the Iowa River opposite the mouth of the English River. Laid out in 1837, it was the first town platted in the county, but it never materialized. Johnson


SEVASTOPOL. Town laid out in 1862 and incorporated in 1878, occupying the northeast quarter of section 15 and the northwest quarter   of 14, township 78, range 24, south of the Raccoon and Des Moines rivers, and now included in the southern part of the city of Des Moines. Polk


SEVENTY EIGHT. In section 27, Liberty Township, on the west bank of the Iowa River.  Post office 1853-1875. Johnson


SEVENTY SEVEN. The name of the post office at River Junction from 1849 to 1859. Johnson


SEVENTY SIX CENTER. A post office from 1870 to 1873 near the center of Seventy Six Township. Washington


SHABBONA. A proposed but soon abandoned railroad station in 1888 in the southwest quarter of section 21, Caledonia Township. It had a post office of the same name from 1887 to 1889. O'Brian


SHADY BROOK. A post office in Linn County from 1863 to 1866, but location not found. Linn


SHADY GROVE In section 6, Jefferson Township. Post ofice, 1889-1908. Buchanan


SHARON, In the northcast part of section 33, Sharon Township. This village was laid out in 1856 and was on the west side of the Chariton River, and not in the same location as the latcr station of out in 1856 and was on the west side of the Chariton River, and not in the same location as the latcr station of the same name on the east side of the river, The post office was from 1851 to 1859. Appanoose


SHARON. A post office (1861-90) on the north line of section 2, Squaw Township. Warren


SHARPSBURG. The name of the village and the post office from 1860 to 1868 which later was East Plattsmouth. Mills


SHARPSTON, A post ofiice listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1892, but not located on the maps of that period. Appanoose


SHARRPS. Name of the post office at the present railroad station of Sharpsburg from 1883 to 1886. Taylor


SHAWVILLE. A coal mining town of Pleasant Township. Appanoose


SHEFFIELD. A hamlet in the southwestern part of Howard Township. Post office, 1857-60. Story




Page 1 of 4

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Page 1 of  4

Page

1

2

3

4

Town Index

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - S