BRUSHY. A post office (1858-61) in the northeast quarter of section 24, Mason Township.
BUCHANAN. A town in the central part of section 8, Polk Township. It was a thriving town in the 1860's and 1870's.
DAN. A post office (1870-78) in the southeastern part of section 10, Holt Township.
ENOD. A post office (1894-1901) in the southeastern part of Jackson Township.
GRAVITY. A country post office hy this name existed a mile or two west of the present town of Gravity, except two short intermissions, from 1855 until the
coming of the railroad in 1882 and the establishment of the town.
GROVE. Listed as a post office in Taylor County from 1855 to 1856, but the location not found.
GUSS. A post office (1883-1907) in section 14, Nodaway Township.
HARMONY. Listed from 1868 to 1871 as a post office in Taylor County, but the location not found.
HENSHW. A post office (1899-1903) on the south line of section 17, Nodaway Township.
HOLT. A post office from 1860 to 1892 and again from 1898 to 1903 in the northwestern part of section 33, Holt Township.
JENKS. Another name in an early day for the present town of Conway. Jenks was the name of the post office from 1867 to 1870.
LANDIS. A post office (1899-1902) in the southwest quarter of section 11, Polk Township.
LEONARD. A post office (1883-1903) in the southwest corner of section 11, Holt Township.
LEXINGTON. A village in the southwestern part of Marshall Township, about five miles northeast of the town of Bedford. It was an aspirant for the county
seat in the early 1860's. Post office, 1857-64.
LITCHFIELD. A post office (1858-72) in section 20, Grant Township.
LONE OFFICE. A post office from 1857 to 1859. in Platte Township.
MEMORY. A post office (1857-82) in the southwest corner of section 31, Dallas Township.
MORMONTOWN. The name by which the present town of Blockton was known in its early existence. Mormontown was begun in 1861 and the post office
went by that name from 1872 until 1887.
OVID. A post office in the southeastern part of Ross Township from 1861 to 1861, and again from 1868 to 1871.
PLATTE. A post office (1868-72) in Polk Township. (See Census of Iowa, 1870.)
PLATTEVILLE. A village in the southern part of section 32, Gay Township. Post office, 1856-1903.
RHOADS. Name of the post office at the railroad station of Sharpsburg for a few months in 1883.
SHARRPS. Name of the post office at the present railroad station of Sharpsburg from 1883 to 1886.
SIAM. The name of the post office from 1860 to 1906, except one intermission, at the town of Buchanan (see above).
WINDSOR. An early name of the present town of Conway, as appears on maps of 1870.
Taylor County named after
General Zachary Taylor.
He was the 12th President
of the United States.
Established February 24, 1847
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|