ALASKA. A post office in Jones Township from 1868 to 1869, located near the present town of Thayer.
BISMARK. Laid out as a town in 1876 in section 36, Pleasant Township, on Grand River, but never built up.
EDINBURG. Laid out as a town in 1875 in section 35, Dodge Township, five miles northeast of Afton, but not built up.
HIGHLAND. Laid out in 1855 in section 25, Highland Township, near the center of the county. It grew rapidly, contested for the county seat, but when Afton
won it in 1857, it was soon deserted.
HAWKEYE CITY. Laid out in section 11, Douglas Township, as told by Colby's Atlas of 1876, but never built up.
KINGS. Listed as a post office in Union County from 1855 to 1860, but the location not found.
LEE. A post office (1881-85) in the northeastern part of Lincoln Township.
McDILL. A place in section 12, Dodge Township, as appears on maps of 1881 to 1889.
MOUNT PISGAH (see Pisgah below).
MYERS. Listed as a post office in Union County from 1858 to 1860, but the location not found.
NEW HOPE. A post office from 1856 to 1880 in the western part of New Hope Township.
OLIO. A post office (1856-64) slightly northeast of the center of Pleasant Township.
OLIVET. A post office (1871-74) near the center of Sand Creek Township, about two miles east of the present town of Arispe.
PATRIOT. A post office (1861-66) about one mile south of the center of Jones Township.
PETERSVILLE. A town settled by the Mormons in 1847 in the northern part of section 30, Jones Township, north of Grand River. It was the first county seat,
1853 to 1855, losing to Afton in the latter year. The town was vacated about 1860. Post office, 1856 to 1858.
PHILO. A post office (1856-64) in the southwestern part of Richland Township, about four miles southwest of Afton.
PISGAH. A populous village of huts settled by the Mormons in 1847 in section 8, Jones Township, about one mile northeast of the present railroad village of Talmage. It existed only about four years. Sometimes called Mount Pisgah. Post office, 1851-54.
TINGLEY. A post office by this name was in existence near the southwest corner of Pleasant Township from 1868 to 1881, until at the latter date the present
town of Tingley in the northern part of Ringgold County was established.
UNION CITY. Laid out in 1855 near the northwest corner of section 21, Platte Township, about one mile southeast of the present town of Kent. A stage road
town of importance. Post office, 1858-12.
WEST UNION. Platted in 1854 in section 22, Jones Township, about one mile southwest of the present town of Thayer. A busy town on the stage line.
Vacated in 1863.
ZALIA. A post office (1879-88) in the northern part of section 12, New Hope Township, about one and one-half miles northeast of the present town of Lorimor.
Named for the union of the States
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|